What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old strains VS new strains

I've read around boards for a while and I seem to notice a certain trend. Older smokers swear by the buds of the past ( eg Columbian ) and say that no bud today can even compete with the stuff they used to get. They claim to have gotten much higher and all those things.

I'm young and I've never had the chance to smoke any of these older strains that these people speak of. I have looked at lots of pictures though...as appreciative as I can be of these strains, lets be honest... some look as good as average today bud and some look ( LOOK emphasized here ) like schwagg. I don't see where the mass amounts of THC are coming from, given the lack of trichs. I know plant material contains THC but not a significant amount.

Basically, I don't see how someone could get higher off these old strains than todays strains. Hell, all these new strains are made up of old strains carefully and selectively bread for potency/yield/stability. In some cases you might dilute the weed, but overall strains will improve ( I think? ).

I can see the flames comin lol...but seriously I'm just curious. Are these old strains that mind blowing? Should I ditch my OgKush/ECSD/NYCD/Trainwreck/Apollo11/Cough/Blueberry grow plans and grow some Red? Hm...input welcomed!

G

I think it's all about the genes. Everything from back in the day was almost always 100% sativa. The pot nowdays is frostier, seedless, and well manicured. But it's all about the indica or indica/sativa stone. I guess it just depends on what you like. From what I understand, the clarity of the high back then was alot better. These older strains were the building blocks of today's strains. So they can't be that far from it.

Very true, I thought about the sativa aspect of it. An extreme sativa will make someone think their bud was laced...and maybe that is what these guys experienced. They compare it to the dull yet hashy indicas we have today. For a heavy smoker a sativa is the only thing that can get the job done. When I smoke indica constantly the high is dull and tolerance builds up fast. Good sativas never fail to get me so ripped I'm trippin. Also I noticed sativas don't have as much trichs, but the trichs that they have are more elongated, defined, and stickier.

G

Well said Ogstradamus, and I agree, I think it's partly that Sativas were much more common back then. Also, the flavor, and just simply the understanding of breeding & ganja history.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
imo breeders back in the day were true to what they were doing and wanted the best weed possible, didnt even think of making a buck with there seeds. now its all about the money pretty much.

G

That's were we get the Haze. A breeding project of all Sativas. What a great breed.

Warrior

If you love sativas you gotta head over to Amsterdam. I have yet to encounter sativas as heady, intense and visual as the stuff I smoked in those coffeeshops. The high was immediate, and for some strains, I never built a tolerance to it.

But most of the sativas I've smoked in the states can't hold a candle to Amsterdam grown sativas. I find that with american grown sats, the high isn't as immediate or visually entertaining. Plus I also build a tolerance to american grown sativas too quickly.

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

some normal highland sativas like some of the stuff i had travelling in central america grown high in the mountains will be stronger than most normal now aday comercial strains - it might have less trichs etc at times - but mostly they are quite well resinous, but more than that its the high itself that is mind blowing.

i have smoked a lot of strains, and grown a bunch too - but the best bud i have had i had in guatemala in quetzaltenango. one bud . completelly white from all the trichs and one spliff sent me on a many hour long trip with raised hartbeat and some anciety. it was amazing and quite scary also. i bet most smokers today that get comercial bud - wouldnt not enjoy it too much. most likelly they would think its laced - since the high is so far away from what we normally get.

peace

G

I have been growin a few different landraces over the last year, still at it. havent found a real good one yet, but there in there and thats some of the lure of growin um.

I do have a couple decent ones and for me i enjoy the way they smoke, for me the smoke is smoother, then indicas and there hybrids. and i like the headier buzz. I find they have a better duration as well.

Sid

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
In 30 years I have not run into anything as strong as mid to late 70's Thai Stick.
Now tolarance plays a part too, I was younger, didn't smoke every half hour.
Now if you want a Close Proximity to what a real good heavy ass OLD Indica coutch lock, grow some Deep Chunk, and don't smoke anything for 3 days. One hit should give an Idea of what an Old Time Stone was like.

Most of the old pot was grown in the area it evolved in, not under HPS, or differnt latitudes and soil.

I don't think the Pot is much stronger or weaker than it ever was. If I don't smoke for a Minimum of 3 days, when I smoke again I get that (Almost) 1st time Buzz, High, Stone... what ever the strain is supose to provide.

Sin

Hm...for some reason I can't choke that down. In fact, I flat out don't beleive it. Even if trichs don't carry much active compound in themselved ( which im sure if you have well structured trichs with bubble tips they do ), it is most likely an indication of the concentration of active compounds inside the plant material.

And resin is cough inducing? Hm...in a good chest expansive type of way. Plant matter is much worse to smoke IMO. Dry, relatively tasteless smoke.

To say resin is cough inducing is the same as saying Hash is cough inducing. Hell, if they are saying resin has little to no indication of potency then what is hash from water extraction?

I see scientific references, but I still don't buy it.

1stCropLongGone

Its not the size of the gland, its how you use it.

Its not the size of the gland, its how you use it.

As I understand it the percentages of the different chemical compounds are what make the high.
So there may be less resin but its makeup gives that intense up high.
I personally like a good mix, apollo11 is so far my favorite.

G

I'm very curious about this too. My current grow consists of Thai tanic F2's (hopefully in the diversity I can find a nice Thai pheno!), as well as what I'm calling Acapulco X. Marimbas, a member here acquired some seed from a fisherman on the Acapulco Bay and is supposedly the old school real deal Acapulco Gold.
We'll see, so far got 4 seedlings going of each.

spliffmasta

PS: Wallyduck is probably making some Panama Red seed stock this year so you can try to keep your eye out for that. (Wally, you'd make a killing with that stuff)

Rolando Mota

I think Sin pretty much nailed it on the head, the fact that the grass was grown in it's native environment where these strains evolved. Plus it's difficult to recreate equitorial conditions indoors. I smoked a lot of amazing weed when I lived in Hawai'i and was able to save up a good number of seeds. But when I moved back to the mainland and grew them out, except for a few indicas the smoke wasn't the same. I think I could do better with them now though but sadly they're long gone.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^ agreed, enviromental conditions the strain has evolved to is where it will grow best. but over years it will adapt to yours.

G

its all in the way its grown..

its all in the way its grown..

I smoked a lot of amazing weed when I lived in Hawai'i and was able to save up a good number of seeds. But when I moved back to the mainland and grew them out, except for a few indicas the smoke wasn't the same. I think I could do better with them now though but sadly they're long gone.

Volcanic Soil, Perfect Season most of the year, Island sun....it's impossible to recreate it, outdoors...but indoors you can get pretty damn close, just lacks that "aloha" love strains grown out on the islands themselves have to offer...i personally think its the soil, and haven't met an islander who disagreed :)

here's some vintage Kona Gold...circa 1980:canabis:
around 35 days into flower in these pics....

5538KonaGoldat36-med.JPG
553835dayKGlower-med.JPG

5538anothaKG36day-med.JPG
5538KGlowers36d-med.JPG

:headbange

Rolando Mota

CaptainJack said:
Volcanic Soil, Perfect Season most of the year, Island sun....it's impossible to recreate it, outdoors...but indoors you can get pretty damn close, just lacks that "aloha" love strains grown out on the islands themselves have to offer...i personally think its the soil, and haven't met an islander who disagreed :)

here's some vintage Kona Gold...circa 1980:canabis:
around 35 days into flower in these pics....

Shoots brah! :canabis: