What's new

Old school

jwm

Veteran
Old school genetics for me....looks like some of the bud we used to get in the late 60's early 70's....yup, most all had seeds...We use to get quite a bit of 'collie' it was called..All I know is it was great smoke. Very up, awake, laughing high no matter how much you smoked it never put ya to sleep....you just kept getting higher....ah, the good old days..

C

Cinderella99

Yea, man...I don't think that's a function of our age and physical prowess at the time...I think that's a direct function of Sativa outdoor goodness, while not as economically practical, vs. modern day "everybody grows indoor, fast cash for maximum bang for the buck" type reality...

Grizz

Veteran
Its a bygone era, its been nice hearing you other old school dogs share your memories. I know you guys probably had coffee cans full of those old lines as I did. wasted 99 % of them. I kick myself i the ass when I think of the genetics I had and wasted.

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just got an old metal lock box from a family member. Inside the lock box is a bunch of seeds and some ugly shake, and dead crunchy spiders (how did spiders get inside of a lock box?). In about 6 Months I am going to try to crack them. If any of them crack and grow I am going to breed them to one another. I am going to call the resulting strain "1978" (come on now, don't anyone try to take the name), because the family member that gave me the lock box said the seeds inside are from 1978-1981 (he stopped smoking in 1981).

This post makes me want to get back into breeding my Sativa projects. I was working on a "PURE" Thai, but got frustrated with super extra long flowering time and hermi traits. Also it was so hard to find pure males out of the Thai strain. One of what I thought was my best males shot out female hairs on my last go around, so I just put off the entire thing. But I will get back to the project in about 6-7 months.

I am also working on a HAZE project and a C99 project so within a year (maybe a year and a half) I will have some nice Sativas again.

Thank You x10 for such a great post. It really got me motivated again.

RoadKillFunk

I am way too young to have smoked any of these 70's buds, but I have smoked some of the land of origin buds. I lived in New Mexico for a little while, and befriended a older Mexican man. All of his family lived in Guerrero Mexico. Once a year in December he got a shipment of buds in from his family. They were army to forest green, and wreaked of spearmint, cedar and incense. They were uncompressed, and some buds were over 12" long. They weighed virtually nothing because of the wispy buds. The taste was out of this world, and high clean, soaring and clear. It was seeded, but not a bunch. Maybe 20 or so in an ozer. I really really kick myself for not holding onto those beans, but I was young. This was only a decade ago so I know people are still growing some of those pure or close to pure strains. I am talking with some guys from Oaxaca right now, and there family still grow down there. They go down once a year, and I am trying to get them to bring some beans back. I have smoked some of our modern super weed with them, but they don't really like it. They say it is too overpowering, and makes them sleepy. Most of the export from there is crap, but don't think some of these killers are not still grown down there. They keep the truly good smoke for themselves, and I cannot say that I blame them! I sure wish I could have been there in the good old days!

RKF-

rako, are those afghans from 70's seeds? or are they modern afghan hybrids?
my gosh man they look like modern day dispensary/coffee shop variety!:yoinks:

T

theratings

Wow I wish I could find some 70's shit like the buds on the first page.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rako, are those afghans from 70's seeds? or are they modern afghan hybrids?
my gosh man they look like modern day dispensary/coffee shop variety!:yoinks:

Those are Deep Chunk,one of the purest old school affies ever seen :joint:

DC10DSCN0130026copia1.jpg

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Used to smoke a lot of the old school genes back in cali in the late 80's/90's...The weed didn't look that good, but the high will last you anywhere from 4-7 hrs, and will have you in the clouds. Man, I would give a left nut to see those genes of MJ again. Getting so tired of the average indica<>

OP

grimcreeper

I'm a youngster by these standards but we used to get some uncompressed stuff in the Southeastern US that looked alot like some of these. I'm pretty sure it's been grown for decades in these parts. There's no telling the lineage of the stuff. The looks are schwaggy and seeded, the smell is minty and haylike, BUT the high is on par or better than any manicured, indoor, top shelf I've had. My friends used to say, "does that even get you high man?" but it would knock ones proverbial socks off.

Latest posts

Latest posts