What's new

old Hps bulb?

don't know if this is the right place but will a old HPS Bulb hurt my plants? Ive done 5 gardens with this bulb! Been noticing which looks like some of the leaves has a deficiency! Ph is 6.5 to 6.8 an I don't have a Ppm or tds meter which I really need to invest in! Running in a ebb & flow! Wil post pic this afternoon! Any input is welcome! Thanks!

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
ebb and flow = hydro = pH at 5.8 bro... HPS shouldn't hurt your plants... I'd be very surprsed if the old bulb was the culprit.... unless it was doing things which I'd never heard of (always possible:) )

pics will help :)

MrMagic

yeah dude its not your old bulb. its definetly your ph. personally i change my bulbs every 8 months and keep them incase of burnouts or friends who need help.

ebb and flow = hydro = pH at 5.8 bro... HPS shouldn't hurt your plants... I'd be very surprsed if the old bulb was the culprit.... unless it was doing things which I'd never heard of (always possible:) )

pics will help :)

Sorry for the late picz! Don't know if you can see the colors in the leaves with my cam phone! Sorry bout that! If you follow the link at the bottom you can see the rest which don't have it!

*So I should have my ph to 5.8? What about my ppm & tds? How many times a day do you recommend I feed them for an how long? I'm currently feeding them 2 times for 30 min! Sorry for all Da questions! Just want to get them dialed in! Thank you!

CIMG0348.jpg

CIMG0350.jpg

CIMG0351.jpg

CIMG0352.jpg

CIMG0354.jpg

CIMG0353.jpg

Andyo

Veteran
Ph

Ph

Yes ph way too high .
Also you rez ph and hydroton ph is rarley the same test drips from pot 1hr after flooding .
Did you soak n ph your balls first?
EC for seedlings start 0.6 cuttings start Ec 0.8
full on plants veg 1.85 same for 12/12 hrs.
If you use hard water beware ph climbing in the pot and ec in the pot .A

Andyo

Veteran
flood timing

flood timing

I flood twice a day in veg 18/6 and once @12/12 i dont do this flooding every hour lol its not lettuce.A

Yes ph way too high .
Also you rez ph and hydroton ph is rarley the same test drips from pot 1hr after flooding .
Did you soak n ph your balls first?
EC for seedlings start 0.6 cuttings start Ec 0.8
full on plants veg 1.85 same for 12/12 hrs.
If you use hard water beware ph climbing in the pot and ec in the pot .A

Thanks so much! I lowered to 5.8 - 6.0 lastnight! I only washed the hydroton to clean of with reg water ! Is that a problem waiting to happen? Say the ph is high from the drips but good in the rez? What should I do?

I flood twice a day in veg 18/6 and once @12/12 i dont do this flooding every hour lol its not lettuce.A
Lol yea that's all I feed them is twice a day! Seems like everybody tryin to get me to feed for 3 or 4 times! Thanks again for your help! :thank you:

broke down an bought a hanna ph tester an a hanna tds meter! Ph was 6.47 in res! Lowerd to 5.8! On the tds meter reads in ppm's? Which was 396 ppm in res! (nutes mixxed lite)! Ph of tap is 7.57! Tds reads 64ppm! Is this hard water? should I use cal mag?
appreciate for any feed back! Wanna get them dialed!

Andyo

Veteran
ok PH of drips

ok PH of drips

drop rez ph to 5.0 test drips over next 3 days see if they start to lower ph .once they get down to 6.2 slowly bring rez ph up to 5.5 still checking drips daily.
rez temp is 21c ideal.A
The effect/problem you get from not soaking n ph clay balls is big ph swings .
2nd time round use theyre good
my veg rez is ph 5.8 and 6.0 in pot.
General hydroponics nutes work well with limiting ph rise
the ammonium nitrate buffers against ph rise.
You have medium hard water,if you have A/C water or rain water you could cut it with 50/50 or more.A

Andyo

Veteran
cal/mag n hard water

cal/mag n hard water

missed that Q .ok if your cutting the tap water then youll need some cal/mag
not if you use GH nutes for hard water though .
example in 10 ltrs of concentrated veg nutes for soft water theres 1.5 kilo,s of calcium nitrate. In hard water veg nutes its 760 g.
But magnesium levels are the same .lol
Depending how far you want to go you could go reverse osmosis water n cut it 10% tap and use soft water nutes all the way the 10% tap is as a buffer .
Been doing ebb/flow 20 years now is so very easy to fine tune and 3 day flush at the end so easy.
I make my nutes for soft water .A

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
E&F: Flood 4 times during day, evenly spaced little after lights come on (first flood) and hour or more before they go out (last flood). Shorter flood time the better, usually under 20 min for flood and drain.

Can't find the TDS ranges, but they are out there, keep looking.
Generally 800 (late veg)-1400 (week 5-7 flower) ppm depending on growth stage.

Generally if your water is 250-300+ at tap then it is HARD.
Your water is soft. Good for you.

You NEED the TDS/PPM meter for E&F. Good buy. Monitor and record that shit daily as you learn.

I thank you guys so much! *I did flush both of my tables with Clearex an also took each plant an dunked in a bucket of clearex ! Lowered ph to 5.5! Did check drips which were ph 6.7 (rez ph 6.2)! That was before I lowered to 5.5! I'll do more drip test next feeding! Question? On this hanna tds meter it reads in ppm! Do I x it by 2? Example 300ppm x2 = 600?

**Thanks again!

Steinawitz

It may help you to learn the reason why maintaining the PH level is so important. Maintaining proper PH allows the plants to use necessary nutrients needed for healthy plants and a healthy harvest. As you can see by this graph if you look at the soilessmix table, at 5.8 PH the roots can access the most amount of nutrients. If the PH deviates from 5.8 too much, the plant will not be able to access certain nutrients and will of course begin to have deficiencies in those nutes.

image047.jpg

Room 1) ph 5.81 drip ph 6.13

Room 2) ph 5.76 drip ph 6.21

should I still lower to 5 or should I hold off? Just don't want to lower to much! Will the leaves restore the color or just new growth?

Andyo

Veteran
Room 1) ph 5.81 drip ph 6.13

Room 2) ph 5.76 drip ph 6.21

should I still lower to 5 or should I hold off? Just don't want to lower to much! Will the leaves restore the color or just new growth?
Is the drip tested 1 hr after flooding .
lookin at your figures i would aim for a drip @ one hr of ph 6.0 so go down a little.but not below 5.5 seems your ph swing not to much .what nutes are you using ???
I guess its going to stabalise .So in a week or 5 days youll need to bring tank ph up a little.A

Latest posts

Latest posts