What's new

Oklahoma Initiative Would Make Pot a Legal, Exportable Cash Crop

RetroGrow

Veteran
Oklahoma is taking it one step further. They want to farm and export cannabis, and make possession legal. This was the last state I thought would go in this direction. They are famous for their Draconian laws. This shows that federal decriminalization is coming for sure, IMO.

"Marijuana reform advocates hope Oklahoma will live up to its nickname – the Sooner State – by becoming the first U.S. jurisdiction to both legalize cannabis for personal use and allow it to be exported as a cash crop.

In the best-case scenario for pro-pot campaigners, there will be two initiatives on the November ballot: One that would allow medical marijuana and another more far-reaching initiative that would comprehensively dismantle status quo pot policies.

The medical marijuana initiative is further along. On May 18 supporters will begin collecting the required 155,216 signatures for ballot access – if opponents do not file a challenge with the state’s supreme court.

The outright legalization initiative is currently being finalized and its backers – led by state Sen. Connie Johnson, a Democrat – hope to file it with the Oklahoma Secretary of State’s office as early as Friday.
“There is quiet, silent support, not only because our laws are ridiculous but because people either have used it or know someone who has, and all of the doomsday expectations just are not true,” says Johnson.

If the initiative makes the ballot and wins approval by voters it would legalize possession of 1 ounce of marijuana for personal use by adults 21 and older – or 1.5 ounces for doctor-approved medical use. It would allow residents to grow six plants at home.

The initiative would also reduce penalties for people possessing more than 1 ounce and for adults aged 18-21 by erasing from the books a state law that makes possession of any amount of marijuana a felony after a person is convicted of a first offense.

Localities would be able to regulate the location of recreational marijuana stores, but unlike Colorado’s legalization law they would not be allowed to block stores altogether. Unlike Washington state’s legalization law, residents will be able to give – but not sell – pot to friends.
Out of concern for low-income residents, the tax rate would be roughly in line with the state sales tax.

In what would be the most groundbreaking part of the package, the initiative would allow commercial farms to export marijuana to states where it’s legal for recreational or medicinal use.

“Oklahoma could be an agriculture state for marijuana,” says Oklahoma City defense attorney David Slane, who wrote the initiative with Johnson.

Slane says “instead of us just growing wheat, we could grow marijuana – it could be a real crop,” ideally boosting the state’s economy.

“It could be cultivated, packaged and sold right here in Oklahoma, and our law would allow it to be transported to other states where it is legal. That’s all we say in our law," he says.

There are “a lot of questions we don’t have the answer to” about how the export business would work, Slane says, particularly how marijuana would be transported through states where it remains illegal. He says that issue would likely be resolved with input from the U.S. Department of Justice.
The earliest legalization campaigners could begin collecting signatures is late May.
After the proposal is filed with the Secretary of State’s office, Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt has a maximum of 15 business days to review and possibly rewrite the ballot title. There’s then a 10 calendar day challenge period before petitioning can begin.

Initiative supporters would then have 90 days to acquire 155,216 valid signatures. Officials with the Secretary of State’s office say there’s no official cut off date for ballot access – but signatures must be validated, followed by another 10-day challenge period, before an initiative is put on the ballot.

Slane is prepared to sue state officials if they attempt to scuttle the initiative’s path toward the ballot.

“It’s counterintuitive as a lawyer to do this … I'll probably lose money,” Slane says. “No, I don’t smoke marijuana and no, it isn’t done for any business purpose. I’m seeing young people’s lives ruined with felony convictions for marijuana and it’s just not right. I don’t think that marijuana is any worse than alcohol.”
Legalization may seem a tough sell in the socially conservative Bible Belt, but a survey conducted Aug. 28-Sept. 9 by SoonerPoll found 71 percent of residents favor medical marijuana and 57 percent support decriminalizing possession of 1 ounce of marijuana. Respondents weren’t asked if they support legalization, but 82 percent said decisions about legalization should be left to the states.

Slane and Johnson say a majority of Oklahomans may well support legalization.

It’s currently unclear if a wealthy donor or advocacy group will fund the legalization ballot push – which may require paid canvassers.

“Send them my way, we need them,” says Johnson.

Arlene Barnum, president of the Oklahoma Coalition Against Prohibition, says activists affiliated with the grass roots group are prepared for an all-out scramble if and when petitioning begins.
“It’s either get it done or go to prison,” Barnum says.

“This is a penal colony state. We don’t have much industry – it’s agriculture and the prisons,” she says. “The state of Oklahoma is cannibalizing its own. It’s like you’re being born into the world just to be harvested into the prisons.”

Oklahoma’s tough marijuana laws terrify many people, Barnum says. Although she supports legalizing medical marijuana, she says that reform doesn’t go far enough.

“What if someone decides to have a joint or a bag of weed and they don’t have a card?” she says. “They’re going to get jacked up and go to jail.”

Colorado and Washington are currently the only states where marijuana possession is legal. Many states have reduced penalties for pot and twenty-one states and Washington, D.C., allow medical marijuana. Residents of Alaska – and possibly Oregon and D.C. – will vote on legalization in November. In Florida, and possibly other states, residents will vote on medical marijuana.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/05/08/oklahoma-pot-legalization-cannabis-cash-crop

Jhhnn

Veteran
If Oklahoma legalizes pot for recreational use it would be the death knell for prohibition in this country.

That's a mighty big if, however. Expect opposition to be utterly ferocious. The headset & the culture are utterly different than that of CO or WA, much more Christian/ conservative/ authoritarian. The authorities like to see themselves as stern agents of God's Will, or something, anything that lets them bring the hammer down hard.

In many other respects, it's not a bad place to live- just don't fuck up, & remember they have their own definition of what that means, too.

RetroGrow

Veteran
If Oklahoma legalizes pot for recreational use it would be the death knell for prohibition in this country.

That's a mighty big if, however. Expect opposition to be utterly ferocious. The headset & the culture are utterly different than that of CO or WA, much more Christian/ conservative/ authoritarian. The authorities like to see themselves as stern agents of God's Will, or something, anything that lets them bring the hammer down hard.

In many other respects, it's not a bad place to live- just don't fuck up, & remember they have their own definition of what that means, too.

From the article:
"Legalization may seem a tough sell in the socially conservative Bible Belt, but a survey conducted Aug. 28-Sept. 9 by SoonerPoll found 71 percent of residents favor medical marijuana and 57 percent support decriminalizing possession of 1 ounce of marijuana. Respondents weren’t asked if they support legalization, but 82 percent said decisions about legalization should be left to the states."
I would have thought that Oklahoma would be the last place where this might happen, but apparently, the people are behind it. This is HUGE if it happens......

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I just had to pick My ass up off the floor.
I cant think of a less likely State for either of these bills to even make it to the floor, let alone pass,,, guess We'll see.
Okies GET OUT TO VOTE.

Peace;1TT

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
oklahoma is going to pass a law that makes export to other states legal?

this shit is getting interesting now

might be a good way to get the feds to make a decision ....... but it might not be a decision we like

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Of course export...

Several other states are passing import only CBD laws...
They'll have to get it from somewhere...

I too thought the OK state would be one of, if not, the very last states to go with the flow... blows my mind!

Jhhnn

Veteran
Of course export...

I too thought the OK state would be one of, if not, the very last states to go with the flow... blows my mind!

The agricultural angle is part of the coalition building done in CO with A64, probably even more important in OK.

Citizen legalization initiatives need to do that, create advantages for diverse groups, not just the cannabis community. Agriculture, business, cannabis consumers & citizens who'll never touch the stuff but realize that the best taxes are the ones that other people pay.

It's actually advantageous for LEO's, as well, even though they have trouble seeing that. It makes for much better community relations & relieves them of enforcing unpopular law. It also reduces the tendency of the community to tolerate social predators who thrive in the social milieu of illegal cannabis.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
Of course export...

IMO it doesn't matter which states pass export laws. as long as the feds say it is illegal once it crosses state lines it gives them an excuse to get involved.

i hope Oklahoma and all the other states that are talking about legalizing force them to make some good decisions soon ........ i'd like to be able to drive through some other states without feeling like my colorado license plates are like hanging a target on my back

Jhhnn

Veteran
IMO it doesn't matter which states pass export laws. as long as the feds say it is illegal once it crosses state lines it gives them an excuse to get involved.

i hope Oklahoma and all the other states that are talking about legalizing force them to make some good decisions soon ........ i'd like to be able to drive through some other states without feeling like my colorado license plates are like hanging a target on my back

The whole "Export" angle is part of the pitch tailored by OK activists to appeal to Ag interests in their State. I'm sure they all realize that it won't happen until the Feds are willing to go along with it, maybe never. It's a come-on, probably a good one in OK.

SneekyFarmer

This would be awesome! But I still have my doubt's it will pass, especially for export! I live in Oklahoma and was caught with 2 plant's 13 years ago this fall.. They literally threw the book at me and tried to give me 10 year's in prison, as a "first time" offender!!! Cost me over 30k to stay free, plus 7 years of probation, 2 years were formal , had to see a p/o once a month and pee in a cup, after getting it reduced to possession with intent! I hope it does pass, then maybe I can get a pardon and get my right's back, without having to pay a lawyer another 5k to try and get a pardon for me!

RetroGrow

Veteran
This would be awesome! But I still have my doubt's it will pass, especially for export! I live in Oklahoma and was caught with 2 plant's 13 years ago this fall.. They literally threw the book at me and tried to give me 10 year's in prison, as a "first time" offender!!! Cost me over 30k to stay free, plus 7 years of probation, 2 years were formal , had to see a p/o once a month and pee in a cup, after getting it reduced to possession with intent! I hope it does pass, then maybe I can get a pardon and get my right's back, without having to pay a lawyer another 5k to try and get a pardon for me!

There are people in prison for life for possession of small amounts of hashish in Oklahoma. Prison is a big industry in Oklahoma, #2 after agriculture. A lot of people there make their livings locking people up. Hopefully, they will be unemployed, as all cannabis prisoners should be released and paid reparations for their trouble.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
And in Their disspare I Hope They Execute Them selves Slowly, and painfully. CO's are even WORSE than COPS. Scumbag COCKSUCKERS Lacky Leach Mother Fuckers.

Twisted

S

SooperSmurph

This would be the death knell for high quality cannabis produced on any kind of large scale ever again.

Such huge amounts of what would (in the current market of a medical state) be considered unsmokable product would flood the streets, oil extraction would be reduced to a factory process, and of course our friends at the large agricultural conglomerates would start patenting the very genetics of our beloved plant, packs of "Marlboro Groovies" filled with the equivalent of mexibrick... ew.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, if Phillip Morris is selling joints, i'll grow for my personal needs and go find a new career, look at what tobacco has become in corporate hands, so the damage they could do with modern Cannabis is unimaginable.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
In the news today, Eco Canna Activists armed with mite bombs and pm foggers, stormed the Monsanto/Walmart grow facility..........

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
HGMLF (Home Grown Mj Liberation Front)
The HGMLF struck again last night at yet another United States GMO Mj Distribution Warehouse in FEMA Zone 5. 3 Terrorist were killed another 2 are currently detained for further questioning. Video at 10:00, Back to You Dick.

Peace; 1TT

I do hope it passes, but as Homeboy said, it is probably unlikely with so many conservative fake religious types and prisons to fill. Seen a car confiscated and $$$ taken over a roach in the ash tray like your some evil drug dealer; That would be the Pharmaceutical co's. I noticed marlboro taste more like chemicals all the time and quit years now. They put stuff in there, who knows what, to make you even more addicted. Had pure tobacco before and nothing like American cigs.Why is ammonia used, and in cookies etc. Cigs too probably and ammonia can be used to make crack and more addictive. All these evil companys care about is profit and don't care if you get sick and die. So many still so brainwashed or soldout. Older generation so stubborn and self righteous as they suck down there wine(which can and does kill) and call us depraved. I'd swear those in the top want people sick so to by more meds as they all pad each others pockets back and forth as the economy goes to shit with all the damn greed, and from low to high, not just politicians. Sad, but many do still care and so glad to see we the people stand up for themselves and there rights. Regarding co's and prison types. Find it sad and unnerving that so many people are so damn evil and $$$ power hungry. Followers with no brains of there own many. Just suckers of resources with no actual good to give to anyone but themselves. Sorry to rant, but so very sad so many bad peeps in my country. peace... :tiphat: SR

things are moving much faster than i expected to see. i think there is probably some real money behind the scenes lending some influence. that coupled with the popular support is the only way i can fathom the dominoes falling as quick as they are.

As an Christian from Oklahoma, I sure hope this passes. It's high time people in the "Bible belt" READ the Bible instead of just attack people with isolated passages! As I see it, when Jehovah created all the plant life on the third day and called it "good". That settles the issue for me! This was obviously ages before Anslinger and his ilk decided to call one of His greatest botanical blessings "illegal". To outlaw creation is arrogance at best and blasphemy at worst. The good herb has greatly aided me in my walk with God. Like everything He gave to us, it is to be used to improve life! Acts 5:29.

Latest posts

Latest posts