What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oil extraction from leaves?

Piecho

Hello,
I would like to give a try essential oil extraction from fresh frozen cannabis leaves. I read about a method, when you blend them and keep about 30min in ice water. Oil suppose to start separate after that time.

If you have any experience and ideas about easy to apply in home process, let me know.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hello,
I would like to give a try essential oil extraction from fresh frozen cannabis leaves. I read about a method, when you blend them and keep about 30min in ice water. Oil suppose to start separate after that time.

If you have any experience and ideas about easy to apply in home process, let me know.
One way to find out is by giving it a try. Keep us posted on the results friend. Thanks for the post because I would like to know too.

DaEarl73

I would not blend it. Put it into jar with icewater, shake it for 10 min, separate plant material, keep water, let sit down and you got iceolator. Repeat 3-4 times. Hope it helps

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I'm thinking you could actually do that, what end product are you thinking of?

1) you could blend with water and have another oil in the blend, you pass through sieve or cheese cloth to remove the plant material, and let the oil separate from the water in the fridge. Tastes green, and has residual fibers, it can be butter or oil or anything fatty you can think of. but then it has to be eaten quickly

2) if you do blend and then let sit in ice water to get the kief at the bottom you are better off doing like @DaEarl73 said, or at least have something like a sieve at the bottom or somth.

3) if you're extracting in the water you should not blend , but just soak the leaves in the water in the dark for a day.

3) you can use solvents with fast evaporation rates that would leave the oils behind without contaminating it after evaporation, but it's got risks (think: fire! EXPLOSIONS!), you should read carefully the safety instructions of ISO HASH or Honey Bee butane extraction; the least risky, uses a symilar principle, but dangerous in a whole different way is CO2 extraction.

4) Put the leaves in butter and let it simmer an hour making sure the temperature never goes beyond 120 degrees Celsius (248F) (not the freshest extraction, taste more like Budder...'cause it is) EDIT: Probably at way lower temperatures it could work

EDIT: 5) there is also limonene that you can use to extract other essential oils with, should look into that

take with a pinch of salt, also hope it helps.

Last edited:

Piecho

I'm thinking you could actually do that, what end product are you thinking of?
Hey,
Thanks for ideas. My idea is simple. They have really nice scent, so would like to extract these essential oils. Stil, no idea if bad from small grow would be enough to get any resonable amount.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Hey,
Thanks for ideas. My idea is simple. They have really nice scent, so would like to extract these essential oils. Stil, no idea if bad from small grow would be enough to get any resonable amount.
I'm also thinking you could look up Enflourage

DaEarl73

Some freeze there extract water from there freeze dryer, the top of that, that doesn’t freeze are the terps, what I read somewhere