What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ohio - vote early, vote often....

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck today Ohionians! As controversial as amend 3 is, im hoping for legalization anyway. As a neighbor what goes on there is important for the rest of us. for some nearby states it is never going to happen until border states eliminate prohibition.

Onwards and upwards.

More on ya.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
We want it legal, but not that the cost. If it passes here that means your state will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ BOUGHT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ next.

Would you rather only 10 mafia men get the cash or be treated like people in colorado ?

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is not what is being voted on today. I don't live there so I don't have a say in their legislation. What I want however is for another state to legalize and decriminalize and it is in that spirit that I hope it passes in whatever form the citizens of that state raise and vote on.

Every state is experimenting with different approaches to mmj and legalization/decriminalization. I'm not in favor of oligopolies either but I don't get to change that in Ohio. I get to suck eggs in another state and only wish and dream for this opportunity presented today.

The way I see it, this is yet another approach that is being tried by the states. If it fails, then it will have only served to be the foot in the door as it becomes something else over time. But it opens the door there which is good for everyone, even if it isn't the most perfect of approaches right now.

State by state it is being worked on and in 10 or 20 years it will have coalesced to some sort of a consistent approach is my reckon. But in the meantime no one will be going to jail in Ohio over the need or desire to try mmj, which is a good thing and something I do support.

The days of prohibition are still upon us but are drawing to a close. They can't end soon enough imho.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Too late. Lots more people want others to go to jail in Ohio than don't.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its the will of the people. Ill be surprised if it comes up again anytime soon there

RetroGrow

Veteran
It was a crappy bill, supporting a monopoly for a few growers. The question is, did that cause the negative vote, or was it just primitives doing the same ole/same ole? These asshats must come to their senses eventually. Hoping for a better bill next year.

"“After going through this process, myself and many of my colleagues realize there’s tremendous support for medical marijuana and something we should have a bigger discussion about,” said Rep. Ryan Smith, R-Bidwell, a leader in the House.

That could be in the form of a pilot program or some other narrowly written legislation, Smith said. He noted that Rep. Wes Retherford, R-Hamilton, already has proposed a medical marijuana bill.

“In talking to people, it was surprising to me how many said they support medical marijuana,” Smith said. “We obviously want to help the parents with children that are ill and the elderly that are suffering. We just want to make sure the scientists tell us it will help and we write it in a responsible way.”

Some advocates were already talking about another ballot issue in 2016 even as ResponsibleOhio backers were stinging from a sound thrashing at the ballot box after spending an estimated $25 million on the campaign. The issue appeared headed to defeat in all 88 counties, according to incomplete results from Husted’s office.

“At a time when too many families are being torn apart by drug abuse, Ohioans said no to easy access to drugs and instead chose a path that helps strengthen our families and communities,” said Gov. John Kasich in a statement. He and the other four statewide, non-judicial officeholders opposed legalization.

Curt Steiner, campaign director for Ohioans Against Marijuana Monopolies, said, “Never underestimate the wisdom of Ohio voters. They saw through the smokescreen of slick ads, fancy but deceptive mailings, phony claims about tax revenues and, of course, Buddie the marijuana mascot.” Steiner’s group expected to spend about $2.5 million on the campaign.

Ian James, executive director of ResponsibleOhio, the group backing Issue 3, said he and supporters will begin a new marijuana campaign immediately.

“Life and legalization are a journey. We have taken the initial steps here to bring legalization here to Ohio. We have always said we will listen to the voters. We trust the voters. The voters said clearly they did not like this plan,” James said. “While we’re disappointed, we will start a new conversation tomorrow.”

James said he expects many of the funders who joined ResponsibleOhio to remain on board for Round 2.

Companion State Issue 2, an amendment hurriedly proposed by state lawmakers to make it more difficult for special economic interests, like ResponsibleOhio, to amend the Ohio Constitution in the future, didn’t have universal support. There was considerable confusion about the issue and it lost in several counties, including Athens, Ashtabula, Hocking, Pike and Preble. The fate of Issue 2, while important for the future, is irrelevant in this election with Issue 3 losing.

When implemented, Issue 2 will require supporters of monopolies, oligopolies and cartels to secure voter approval twice at the same election — once to exempt the issue from the monopoly ban and a second time for the proposal itself.

Tuesday night’s vote-counting process was set back 90 minutes when ResponsibleOhio went to court complaining that problems with electronic poll books at some Hamilton County polling places caused voting delays. Common Pleas Court Judge Robert Ruehlman ordered polls there to stay open until 9 p.m. instead of closing at the normal time of 7:30.

Husted subsequently told boards of election not to release statewide issue totals until polls closed in Hamilton County.

Issue 3 would have legalized marijuana for recreational smoking and in edible form for Ohioans 21 or older, and in medicinal form for those of any age with qualifying medical conditions. Commercial growth was to be controlled for at least the first four years by investment groups at 10 specified locations around the state.

A core of about two dozen wealthy investors, including former NBA star Oscar Robertson, two descendents of President William Howard Taft, and boy-band member Nick Lachey, contributed about $25 million to the Issue 3 campaign."

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...tion/ohio-state-issues-2-and-3-marijuana.html

The governor's a pinhead. He was against it.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not necessarily. More people want a better proposal than the shit sandwich they were offered.

Yeah well the end result is people will continue to do time in Ohio whereas if they had the forsight to pass this then the people who are going to be doing time would not be doing time.

I believe in the bottom line and in this the bottom line is people, good people, will go to jail, go to prison, who would not be going to jail if this passed thanks to all those who care so much about saving the people from monopolies. What total B/S otherwise known as alligator tears.

Too bad it couldn't be someone really dear to the people who opposed this legalization bill that spends time behind bars first.

Further and regardless of how it's being spun, IF the outcome really is being published that such a high percentage is against, that will send a signal elsewhere that this can easily be defeated and the chances of other "rich fucks" as someone tried to portray those who risked it all for this amendment will be verrrry reluctant to ante up more $$ elsewhere. We all get fked.

TerpeneDream

Not necessarily. More people want a better proposal than the shit sandwich they were offered.

This article sounds like that is the stance that's being reflected publicly, which is great to hear…

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2015/49075/ohio-votes-against-marijuana-legalization-issue-3/

COLUMBUS, OH — Voters in Ohio have defeated a controversial measure that would have legalized medical and recreational marijuana in the Buckeye State by nearly a two to one margin.

With two-thirds of precincts are reporting in just after 10:00 pm, Issue 3 appears to be defeated by a margin of 35% in favor, 65% opposed.

The Washington DC – based Marijuana Policy Project, expected to lead marijuana legalization ballot drives in several states next year, issued a statement regarding Tuesday’s defeat in Ohio:

“It’s pretty obvious that the outcome in Ohio does not reflect where the nation stands or the direction in which it is heading when it comes to marijuana policy. It only reflects where Ohio voters stand on a specific and rather unique proposal in an off-year election. It will not have any bearing on the outcomes of the initiatives that we expect to appear on other states’ ballots in 2016.

When voters in Nevada or Massachusetts get to the ballot box one year from now, they are not going to be thinking about what happened in Ohio a year earlier. They are going to be thinking about the problems marijuana prohibition has caused their states for so many years and the benefits of replacing it with a more sensible system. These initiatives will also benefit from heightened voter turnout during a presidential election year. The more voters that turn out, the more support we tend to see for marijuana policy reform.

Polls show a strong and growing majority of Americans think marijuana should be legal for adults. There is a lot of momentum building behind the movement to end marijuana prohibition heading into 2016. Election Day was relatively uneventful this year, but next year it will be truly historic.”

TerpeneDream

Yeah well the end result is people will continue to do time in Ohio whereas if they had the forsight to pass this then the people who are going to be doing time would not be doing time.

Oh.

I haven't read the bill myself, but I thought the talk was that legal penalties would increase for having 'more than allowed'. Ohio already has a really decent 100g or less misdemeanor law, and they let you go home, just 6mo license suspension if in car, which sucked (and I cought a couple)

Were the jail sentences being lifted for cannabis offenders?

That would have been nice...

Picarus

worse is issue 2 passing. numbskulls. So many complainers about this bill from the start. I think all those whining about the language of this measure didn't bother getting to the polls to say No to 2. Now you have shot your own foot.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran

I believe in the bottom line and in this the bottom line is people, good people, will go to jail, go to prison, who would not be going to jail if this passed thanks to all those who care so much about saving the people from monopolies. What total B/S otherwise known as alligator tears.

Too bad it couldn't be someone really dear to the people who opposed this legalization bill that spends time behind bars first.

Further and regardless of how it's being spun, IF the outcome really is being published that such a high percentage is against, that will send a signal elsewhere that this can easily be defeated and the chances of other "rich fucks" as someone tried to portray those who risked it all for this amendment will be verrrry reluctant to ante up more $$ elsewhere. We all get fked.

Thing is, it wouldn't have stopped people from getting arrested. In fact the opposite could very well happen.

Here in Michigan the number of marijuana arrests have gone up since we passed our medical bills. Whose getting arrested these days you might ask? Legal patients that supposedly are within the law.

I'm fairly certain if they had "legalized" marijuana, arrests would have gone up, not down.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Congratulations Ohio on voting down a crappy bill. Its nice to see Ohio peeps not sell out their rights for the promise of "legal" weed.

MrBungle

"Our next plan will include a free market for people to own and operate their own grow, manufacturing and retail facilities," he wrote. "The plan will ensure that the industry is treated like other businesses in regard to taxation. We will have a new approach to home grow without permitting and inclusion of growing hemp to provide opportunities for Ohio's farmers."
http://the-review.com/dix statehous...-try-free-market-approach#.Vk9QfQo-Im4.mailto

Hey I like how the start of this bill sounds

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway

Maybe they should have been sneakier, like me! :biggrin: