What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oh Yess its a CaRRiBBEAN island greenhOusE

iLuv2BlAzE

ahhhh Yesss :joint: ...finally im in my own little paradise....since i had some legal problems with immigration last month and couldnt get back into the us ...i decided things might not be so bad after all ....im staying in the carribbbean wheres its 19 N latitude . its hot all yr around and i believe its about 12 hrs of daylight that we recieve down here all yr round...well i was planning to put up a green house ...and not just anyone a pretty big one...im so deep in the country its ok to do it the green houses are going up as we speak there being build with 2 inch galvanized poles covered in plastic. i was wondering whats the best way to vent a big green house its about 20,000 sq ft. should be done in a couple of more days. since the walls roll up i was thinking of blowing from one end of the house to the other end of the house so its like clean air in -------> hot air out and also through the side walls. im still open to suggestions. also im looking for some strains to put in this im making for myself. the plants will be veg. till there 18-24 inches with added 100 watt bulbs through out. i was wondering what are some very good strains to grow in this type of climate. im open to suggestions on some different strains.

Last edited:
G

Hiya

Sounds great man, what you want to do. Wish I was stuck in the Carribean. I hate the cold and we get 6 months of it.

I've only built one greenhouse, but I studied a great deal before I did.

Humidity - The best way to beat this is get strains that handle the local climate. Then cross them onto your favourites. Look for naturally hot, humid climates, and the strains they get there.

Heat release - I made a sloped roof, with windows at the high point so the hot air is expelled.

Thermal Mass. This is a heat sink, of sorts. Something that takes excess heat during the day, and releases it at night. I have a crazy paving concrete floor, a 600 litre pond, a 200 litre top up barrel, and 2 x 100 litre floating raft beds. Water is the best for this job. Gravel based concrete the second best. My temperatures are reasonable all year round provided i remember to open door and windows on hot days, and add a fan on hot still days.

In winter the light levels slow things down, one HPS on a light rail would make a HUGE difference, both to temps and photoperiod. If I rig one up...

Insulation - two of my walls are tin, with pink batts insulation, and white reflective mylar on the inside. Under the pond is insulated with polystyrene. The walls and roof (plastic one's) are doubled, two layers, with a gap between.

Hope some of this helps, try get photos for ya, got to borrow camera...

EDIT: I got the photos it's called My happy Place, a thread here in Growing In Greenhouses.

Last edited: