What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oh NO!!!! My car died:(

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
So I just spent an hour grocery shopping....just to get a huge cart up to the checkout to find that there's not ONE cashier working. Oh yeah, I get to scan and bag $230 worth of shit and TRY to fit it all on the weigh table so I don't have to be stopped every 10 seconds by the "please put item in the bag" bitch. I finally get done (while PoopyTeaBags is at the spot working), loaded all the shit into my car....oh yeah, the BITCH won't start, nobody is around the parking lot. I take my sorry ass into the store and ask if an employee could lend me their started car for a jump. Fuck NO that didn't work!!!! No click, no roll over....I have full power in my dash and headlights....it's not even the fucking battery. We just had the starter replaced and took the battery off another car and shit was fine for a month. So I'm fucked....I have a shitload of food in my car, PTB is at a fucking grow spot without a car and it's late at night.

Luckily this nice man from the store took me and my groceries home....and Poopy got his sister to pick him up (he's at a grow spot, it's not like he wants to call a cab....or anyone).

As we were messing with the battery, trying to jump this beast....a guy caomes over and starts begging for money. Sad ass story about running out of gas...."oh I'll fix your car if you give me five dollars". Yeah, fuck you guy...get the hell away from me. Then, he starts begging the guys helping me for a lighter, a ride home, money and maybe more...I don't even care.

As the store guy and I were pulling away...I saw the fucking bumb try to open my car door.

If you have ever had one of these....I would like to hear it, I think someone elses break down story might make me feel better, haha....

What was the worst situation you broke down in?

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
I use to have a 1992 Beretta GT....bad-azzed lil ride, except for the fact it had electrical "ghost" issues. Every once in a while that fvcker would just cut-out on me at the worst times. Damned near killed me once or twice.

I have some good memories of that one....even with her troubles :D

Try taking a hammer to the bottom of your starter Miss. B......give it a few raps and turn her over if you have battery....if not, give her a hot-shot.

What make do you have ? I'm a shade tree parts changer :joint:

MCsqrd

Yup, a mallet to the starter has saved me a couple times, however that was always on older pickup trucks.

Depending on what make/model you have, and how accessible the starter is, you could apply 12volts via jumper cables directly to the starter(making sure to match power/power and ground/ground). If it turns over, you probably have a wiring/solenoid problem. If it doesn't, it is most likely your starter. Good luck!

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When my MR2 broke down on the interstate I made it back 4 hours later with a wrecker and somebody was in the middle of jacking my rims. Things got a little violent. The driver never said a thing about it.

CoonLover

I have issues with starters, I get it to roll forward and get the flywheel to move and gotten it to catch another tooth and it started.
What kind of car is it miss.b?

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
She's a bad ass older one...I pm'd you back Coonhunter.

This old bitch is getting on my nerves....I just lost a transmission in my other car 3 weeks ago. I have 2 nice cars that won't run....crap!

CoonLover

I'll keep looking, but Here's what I found so far:

rmcgee
02/26/2009, 10:47AM
about: 19** ******* ******* 4 Dr Signature Sedan
help.png
starter will not engage. Battery is good, headlights work & electric windows, etc.
No clicking sound when key is turned.

people_single.gif
Amaroq
05/03/2009, 5:39PM
I'm having the same problem. The car worked just fine one day, and the next it suddenly decided not to start anymore. No clicking sound or anything.

The last time this happened, I had it towed in to a repair guy who gave me a new battery, new battery cables, and hit the side of the starter with a wrench, and it started right up.

If the battery is good, and you're sure your cables are good, try hitting the side of the starter with a wrench. The guy told me my starter has a bad spot and I should get it replaced. I didn't, so now I have to figure out where the starter is and what it looks like so I can try that myself.

people_single.gif
Amaroq
05/04/2009, 12:20PM
I hear it might also be the solenoid. Which is much cheaper to replace than a starter.

people_single.gif
Adam4753
05/04/2009, 1:12PM
Remove it and bench test the starter, alot of parts stores can do this for you. Or you can disconnect the battery from the solenoid relay and test resistance across the main terminals to see if it's the solenoid.

MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE REMOVING TERMINALS TO THE RELAY!!! Then make sure the wires aren't touching anything before you reconnect the battery to test the solenoid.

If the solenoid is working and has power on the 'hot terminal' then its the starter, but since you hear no click it's likely the solenoid relay or a wire leading to it.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Solenoid makes sense...we have a mechanic on it tomorrow, or soon. Thank you for looking on that....much, much appreciated:)

CoonLover

Also, take a look and make sure the big power wire is attached. I only say this because even being from a crew of car guru's. My buddy has done hundred of hours of car work and one time he replaced an alternator, he didn't tighten the 12v wire tight and the nut worked off. What would happen was that sometimes the car would charge and drive fine and other times it would run only on the battery and die at random times and places. Went on for about a week and we found the wire would come in contact and charge and sometimes it would disconnect and die..
Took 2 minutes to reconnect and never had a problem again.

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
That bum woulda gotten droped on the curb quick fast fuckin with my door! and yea ive had one of those days...actually many! shit sucks but just be ready for the next curve ball life throws you

R

randude101

So I just spent an hour grocery shopping....just to get a huge cart up to the checkout to find that there's not ONE cashier working. Oh yeah, I get to scan and bag $230 worth of shit and TRY to fit it all on the weigh table so I don't have to be stopped every 10 seconds by the "please put item in the bag" bitch. I finally get done (while PoopyTeaBags is at the spot working), loaded all the shit into my car....oh yeah, the BITCH won't start, nobody is around the parking lot. I take my sorry ass into the store and ask if an employee could lend me their started car for a jump. Fuck NO that didn't work!!!! No click, no roll over....I have full power in my dash and headlights....it's not even the fucking battery. We just had the starter replaced and took the battery off another car and shit was fine for a month. So I'm fucked....I have a shitload of food in my car, PTB is at a fucking grow spot without a car and it's late at night.

Luckily this nice man from the store took me and my groceries home....and Poopy got his sister to pick him up (he's at a grow spot, it's not like he wants to call a cab....or anyone).

As we were messing with the battery, trying to jump this beast....a guy caomes over and starts begging for money. Sad ass story about running out of gas...."oh I'll fix your car if you give me five dollars". Yeah, fuck you guy...get the hell away from me. Then, he starts begging the guys helping me for a lighter, a ride home, money and maybe more...I don't even care.

As the store guy and I were pulling away...I saw the fucking bumb try to open my car door.

If you have ever had one of these....I would like to hear it, I think someone elses break down story might make me feel better, haha....

What was the worst situation you broke down in?

OMG, this is terrible. Your poor husband.

R

randude101

Typically a starter and a solenoid are one item these days. You replace one to replace both. Just a wear and tear item on a car. One of the reasons to have road side assistance for a chick. My wife has it. I don't.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You need to find a grocery store located a the top of a hill, that way you can just bump start the car next time.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Let us know how this worked out or if you need any advice.

Mechanic and PTB are on there way to figure it out...thanks for helping, much appreciated:) I just want to know what it is and when it's getting fixed. When the other car's transmission went out we started sharing a car. We work together, live together...now we're sharing a car??? Shit.

devilgoob

Veteran
one time I pushed my car about a very long distance and when I got there the guy said to me "why didn't you just get a fuel container here and bring the gas to your car." :laughing:

another time my friend's key broke and wouldn't work, a wal-mart worker said the key could not be made and being a smart alec, I went to management and told them the guy refused me service. The guy flipped over some shelves he was working on because he thought he was the authority over keys...

I just shaved down the key with a file and it worked. Don't know what happened with the guy....right after he flipped over the shelves he was embarrassed of himself. :nanana: