What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oh crap mold

i harvested 15 days ago and it's been hanging in the tent since and i started trimming today and the cool weather here has caused mold on one of the cuttings i checked all other cuttings closely and none having any mold just this one cutting.
i don't understand how only one gets mold but not the others.

IMG_20230809_130719_262.jpg

Gogin_Diddle

How do you have your drying area set up? Fans, dehumidifier? How much room did you give the buds? Could this have started during the grow? How do the other colas smell?
I'm sorry that happened to ya.

How do you have your drying area set up? Fans, dehumidifier? How much room did you give the buds? Could this have started during the grow? How do the other colas smell?
I'm sorry that happened to ya.
The mold could of started during the grow with this one cutting it was probably cramped i guess i'll never know, i gave them enough room during hanging drying and there not touching i should of used a floor fan but didn't and only the exhaust fan was running the rest smell ok there is no mold on the other cuttings.

Ca++

It's not the typical sized bud that could mold.
It's possible that something crawled in there and died. Or some damaged tissue started to go, while the bud was still wet.

Gogin_Diddle

It's possible that something crawled in there and died. Or some damaged tissue started to go, while the bud was still wet.
I think it's odd that only 1 brach would do that. I can't really make sence of it, unless that brach was buried and not getting airflow.
I suppose you're lucky you found it before it spread all over

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have seen it happen when that one branch or plant is really close to an AC, blowing on it constantly.

Also if you spray and they are packed in there tight maybe that branch wasn't able to dry completely.

Somehow it didn't get enough air circulation is all we can know for sure.

Lots of reasons but at least it wasn't the whole crop 👍

I had no pest during the grow or drying it's a clean enviro.

I think it's odd that only 1 brach would do that. I can't really make sence of it, unless that brach was buried and not getting airflow.
It's possible i didn't see the mold at harvest but the mold could of been on that cutting and i didn't see it because of small leaves wrapped around it

I have seen it happen when that one branch or plant is really close to an AC, blowing on it constantly.

Also if you spray and they are packed in there tight maybe that branch wasn't able to dry completely.

Somehow it didn't get enough air circulation is all we can know for sure.

Lots of reasons but at least it wasn't the whole crop 👍
i didn't use any spray i did have days of high humidity and cool weather leading up to harvest.

No bud wash before hanging to dry?
No i haven't washed buds ever.

Ca++

I have seen people wash outdoors, and the water did contain debris. It would be nice to think that mold below the acceptable threshold could be destroyed to stop it spreading. However just wetting it that much, creates a mold risk through delayed drying. While the question of just what to use on it, is never well answered. Lemon juice is more of an old wifes tale than serious option. It's biological nature a mold issue itself. While the final wash can be easily underestimated, with some hard skin fruits given 4 cycles to meet guidelines, following chemical treatments.

I once washed a bud. It dried beige. Like 5 years of curing. The smoke was very soft, and while unlikely to make even a non-smoker cough, it wasn't tasty. It was like a mellow tobacco. I guess it was x-treme washing, but I'm not sure washing a plant with water soluble tasty bits, is wise.

Who does actually do that? I'm not aware of any commercial venture doing so, and that's where I would expect to see such investment being made.

Ca++

99% of Californian Olives are soaked in sodium hydroxide. The main and often only ingredient in drain cleaner. More recently used to dissolve corpses, in the fringe practice of resomance? funerals. This gives them the rubber like fleshy texture (the olives, that is) that is nothing like fruit should be. However, processing in lye (as it's also called) takes about a week, not a month.

If you find Olives disgusting, you might have a valid argument.

So... weed washing... to wash, or not to wash, that is the question.

I know which camp I'm in.

I just took another close look at the 3 cuttings i recently harvested near at the window and the consistency is excellent for the cuttings there is no weird variation and has good natural frosting the pics i have put here don't show how nice they really look..if they where all moldy it would of been sleepless nights.

These are from my recent harvest they are still drying in the tent i'll trim the cuttings then back in the tent until there jar ready and that should be soon.
IMG_20230810_151005_117.jpg

I took the one mold cutting outside it's over cast and the mold is around the mid lower half where moisture can build up but the top half appears to have no mold anyway the hole cutting goes in the bin.

IMG_20230811_083147_494.jpg

I reckon the mold started on that cutting during the end of flowering it didn't start after harvest.
If i didn't have 2 plants growing at the same time it would not of got cramped in the tent and would not of got mold at all.

WingzHauser

I've had plants stay wet the entire grow, no fan, no mold. Roll my eyes every time the mold discussion goes to vpd or air flow. I've only seen mold when I left a moldy humidifier running in the dry room too long.

99% of Californian Olives are soaked in sodium hydroxide. The main and often only ingredient in drain cleaner. More recently used to dissolve corpses, in the fringe practice of resomance? funerals. This gives them the rubber like fleshy texture (the olives, that is) that is nothing like fruit should be. However, processing in lye (as it's also called) takes about a week, not a month.

If you find Olives disgusting, you might have a valid argument.

So... weed washing... to wash, or not to wash, that is the question.

I know which camp I'm in.

99% of electric ovens are cleaned with sodium hydroxide. Yet we need to ban natural gas from stoves. My fingers bled last time I cleaned the oven

I think it's funny when people's username is something like "MonoterpWizard" posting threads about fresh frozen terp preservation etc yet they smoke through a water pipe and water cure.