What's new

Official Seed Harvest, Storing, Curing, ect. Thread

nobull56

ICMag Donor
Good job Unknown.

Now if we can figure out what they mean on 'partly pollinated' changing or not changing potentcy?

Mr Apricot

good information here! For the freezer method, I start by drying in envelopes for at least a month. Then double bag those envelopes, toss em in a mason jar, then let them chill in the fridge for a week.After the first week, transfer the seed jar to the deep freeze for about 6 months. Transfer the jar back to the fridge for a week at the end...This simulates a gradual spring thaw. I picked this tip up off an old grower. He claimed the temperature shift from the "deep winter freezer" to the " semi-chilly fridge" at the end tells the seeds that their time is now! Seeds I have prepared this way have germinated with extreme vigour and reliability. Usually 12-24 hrs, their ready to go.Every single seed sprouts. If I dont simulate winter for the same exact seeds, germination rates suffer slightly.

Experience tells me that seeds will store in the refrigerator for over a decade with a 95% germination rate. I would avoid storage in the freezer, because too many unforseen events can occur that could cause the seeds to thaw. Refrigeration, in a glass jar, with a dessicant, is the best bet for a lifetime of sucessful genetic preservation.

Mr. Apricot, if you properly store your seeds, your elaborate method of germination is completely unnecessary. That said, I have some 30+ year old seeds, that were poorly stored in a hot attic, that I cannot get to crack. I may give your method a try in a last-ditch effort to salvage the DNA.

Gruetoo

Another great thread! And something to really think about. I am stuck on Malawli And still have a ton of seeds left. I will run a set of seeds Clone about a year then rinse n repeat. I will now start to keep best looking male to collect some sperm err Pollen. This is a landtrace that takes forever to mature. so far 18 to 20 weeks with 18 to 19 average. If the smoke wasn't so mindblowing.....

Gruetoo :plant grow:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
If anyone is interested in doing some reading.

Do a search for Heritage Seeds, and start reading. Some don't like to dry them too much (below 15% as I recall), before during or after freezing. Something about too dry and they lose virility, and the Germ rate falls.

Saw a documentary on PBS a while back, They have built a storage facility in the permafrost. A whole bunch of countries are participating in building a global 'genetics bank'.

While I'm glad I don't have permafrost, I do get concerned about lose of power, and or the freezer dying. I'm currently looking at procuring seeds for down the road, trying to make informed decisions about what to add, what to keep etc.

At this point I'm just doing a blackout box in the refrigerator, with rice as a buffer.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
Quick question.....

I am comming up on My 1st (planned) seed harvest. And while my seeds are "tiger stripped" when I pinch them they crush. Is this normal? Is it because they have not been dried?

THANKS!!!!

BrownThumb

I have bunch that are still greenish or whitish and some of those are germinating, but they're super fresh. I am sure I could have crushed them all (still could, even the dark ones), but I am going to just gamble they're good and try to germinate them when the time comes. Seeds need at least a few weeks IMO, but the longer the better in multiple ways. They do not necessarily have to look like the picture in a magazine, sometimes green seeds will sprout.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Quick question.....

I am comming up on My 1st (planned) seed harvest. And while my seeds are "tiger stripped" when I pinch them they crush. Is this normal? Is it because they have not been dried?

THANKS!!!!

Quit pinching them! :D

They'll dry fine.

I had forgotten about this thread... :shucks:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Quit pinching them! :D

They'll dry fine.

I had forgotten about this thread... :shucks:

Much like the commercial on TV. Tomatoes with internal damage. 'You can't tell by squeezing them.'

Dry them in the dark, put them into the frig. in the dark, for at least a few weeks before trying to germinate them.

nobull56

ICMag Donor
You guys are doing a great job aping this thread alive!

Smoke one son, could be you pinch too hard!

Mr. mustard, have you heard from unknownprofit?

dannykarey

Great thread...........So whats the conclusion?

Dry for a month, then bag and store?

It would be cool if UP would maybe edit his first post (OP of this thread) with the most up-to-date info about how long to dry seeds before storing.........Instead of going through a thread and trying to figure out what the ideal times are.

Not bitching, it's just hard to sort through all the info, I really applaud and respect the intent of this thread.......One of the best on the site for sure.

Cheers and keep up the good work everyone.

Danny

Plantator

Veteran
This year I harvested 2 kilo of seeds. All autoflowering, regular, a lot of strains :]

Some of older crosses

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47 X AK47 X Lowryder

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47 X AK47 X AK47

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47 X STA X Lowryder

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47 X STA x AK47

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47 X AK47

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47 X Lowryder

Sour bubble ryder x AK47 x AK47 X Lowryder

Sour bubble ryder x AK47 x AK47 x AK47

Sour bubble ryder x AK47 x Short Therm Amnesia

Lowryder x STA

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47 X Short Therm Amnesia

Duckfoot x Lowryder x AK47

Mix AUTO

Royal Cheese x ak47

Royal White Widow x Ak47

Fresh seeds from this year about 800000 to 1 milion beans

Duckfoot Auto full webbed big plants

Lowryder

Ak47

Ak47 x Lowryder x Ak47

Critical x auto mazar x Ak47

CBD NL x Ak47

Auto Mazar x Short Therm Amnesia x Lowryder x Lowryder

Auto Mazar x Short Therm Amnesia x Lowryder x Ak47

Auto Mazar x Short Therm Amnesia x Ak47 x Ak47

Lowryder x Ak47

Lowryder x Ak47 x Ak47

Sour bubble ryder x ak47 x ak47 x ak47 x ak47

Sour 60 x Ak Snow x Ak47

Duckfoot x Lowryder x Ak47 x Ak47 x Ak47

Skunk auto x Short Therm Amnesia x Ak47

Super Critical x Short Therm Amnesia x Ak47

Blue Berry x Ak47 x Ak47

Some pics of older seeds , new will coming soon when I will end procesing

Maroc x Early mix

picture.php

Lowryder

picture.php

Guerilla Gold

picture.php

Oasis x Lowryder

picture.php

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I usually dry my beans in the branch until its crumbly, anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks depending on drying conditions, then seperate um, put um in little baggies with some rice and then into a jar in the fridge. Havent had any issues with seeds i made not germing.
Got a question tho, how long is the least amount of time between harvesting and germinating yall done? I jus germed a seed after only 5 days since chop but wondering if thats healthy or should I give um more time to incubate or whatever...

Betterhaff

Veteran
I do the same, leave the seeds until the buds are dry although I generally let them dry longer. I’m going for the seeds not the herb. I’ve had seeds germinate after taking right off the plant as long as the seed coat was dark and hard but have always had better germination rates if the seeds are dried for a period. I don’t know if it’s a maturity thing or a dormancy thing.