What's new

Off to the 'Dam, how much money shall I bring?

moneyshot

I am off to Amsterdam for the Christmas and New Years holiday. I have been during this time before, but that was 4 years ago. Anyone been lately? I know with the current exchange rate between USD and the Euro at one of my dollars for ~.69 Euro:bashhead: I was thinking of bringing about 1000 EURO for spending. I will be there from the 25th to the 3rd so I have quite a few days over there. I will be going with m girlfriend and plan on visting Utrecht, maybe even staying and also visiting Germany for a day or so. So how is the current shannigans affecting the 'Dam or is it at all? Thanks in advance! I can't wait for this trip. This year has been hell for my girlfriend and I, so what better way to spend the holidays in a wonderful foreign country. Cheers everyone.

Moneyshot

:rasta:

Yellowmoon

Nothing to worry about, man. You should survive with 1000€. Just take into account the transportation (Die Bahn) is quite expensive.

Are you going to be stayin in a hotel?

moneyshot

Ya we will be saying in the Swissotel, in Amsesterdam. I wanted to stay at the Krasnansky(SP?) I cant remember the name but it got way to expensive. We will be staying in the dam only, traveling via train to the other places. My girlfriend is a nut for x-mas and the 'dam has a pretty nice showing for x-mas along with dussledorf, Germany. What does a train round trip from Central station to Germany run? Thanks in advance.

Moneyshot

B

British_Bulldog

Everything's relative, but if you keep an eye on your wallet you shouldn't run out of money.

The Dam is very expensive, though, so watch out!

Try to eat as much as possible from the supermarkets, which have good quality and are quite cheap, by European standards at least (probably not compared to the States though?!)

Regarding going to Dusseldorf, I'm not sure if you can get a direct train, but I know near the border directly between the Netherlands and Germany, around Nijmegen/Venray, there are no trains, so what I've done is get the train from A'dam Centraal Station to Nijmegen (about 17 euro, but you can check on: www.ns.nl ), then got a bus over the border to Kleve (a few euro), then got a train to Dusseldorf (about 10 euro if I remember).

You need to be careful though, as the bus stops running at about 8pm, so you need to be in Nijmegen before then, and on Sundays I think earlier.

Have fun, and hit up the Green Place coffeeshop in the Dam for some nice wares, and if you go to Nijmegen, T'Kunsje coffeeshop, about 5-10 mins walk from the station, has some nice Haze for 8 euro a gram - they call it "S.Hees", and it's a good smoke - better than in the Dam.

Peace

spainmedman

I believe you can get a youth pass if you are under 25, thats the way it used to be.
Your train into Germany will probably go thru Koln(Colon) Germany, you should at least stop over there for a few and check out the Cathedral, right by the Koln train station, it is amazing, doesn't even look real. Have fun!