What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran

SoCoCrow

No. Those are gu10 adapters - and while technically yes, you could power each terminal directly, you’re just asking for an electrical fire or electrocution risk. Use cleated sockets, vanity strips, flush mount sockets, etc that are meant for this sort of thing. :)

Lol that almost sounds like a yes. No really TY, point taken.

Terpene

Veteran
14 week chop on Honduras x Alien OrangeADE:
picture.php

picture.php

Its probably the placebo effect, but my plants seem much happier and willing to put out more flower material since I added the warm bulbs to compliment the blue bulbs.

BruceBanner

Alice / Upstream / SugarLoaf

As you can see SugarLoaf looks like a rookie, okay later put in flower, but that's a plant with the tiniest calyxes and there are gonna be billions of them, it's a bonsai monster yielder! :D
Here is the one from the previous grow, and the smoke was better than the rest of plants, it seems it's underrated strain in every aspect...
Would be more fat, but as I said I take samples from early on hehe

picture hosting websites free

Hey guys got a question. Think it would be ok to remove my two top fan leaves. They r just massive and blocking lots of light from getting to my inner shoots and they r also weighing down the shoots as well or should I just keep them on cuz they r like giant solar panels. Took a few pics with the lights on and off. Leaves still seem to look kinda yellow when the lights r on. Don't think it's light stress cuz that turns ur leaves a white pinkish color but I moved them up from 6" to 8" just incase

M

Mr. Sparkle

@terpene awesome buds as always

@bighitguy420 have to be over a certain post count first, believe its 50, but pluck them if you think it will help.

Have a new bucket build almost done, ended up using 4x8w dismantled bulbs for the lid like my previous bucket, but i also mount another 4 on the sides of it as well. Only difference is the ones on the sides are running at half the power as two lights are wired in parallel which are being fed by a single ballast, as i wanted the sides to be supplementation and less intensity that the lid.

Also just for the sake of doing it i swapped out the vero18s i had in my remaining PC case with 4 dismantled 14w Philips screw in bulbs, they are actually running at less than 14w each, and the case comes in at 53w total of my power meter, or 48watts off my multi meter readings.

90NkF42.jpg

Jk37xd8.jpg

J9e4RGM.jpg

angelgoob

I'm using 14 watt 1500 lumen uncapped on the sides of my plant.

The plant itself created a panel of leaves that are all aiming at gathering light efficiently from the 14 watters.

It seems leaves grow where they need to be when you're putting light down there.

Terpene

Veteran
Thank you Mr. Sparkle - your mad scientist contraptions are continually an inspiration.

Med Tree Seeds Orange Antoinette F2s at 9.5 week chop on my two females:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

SoCoCrow

Boy those buds look yummy !!

My sockets arrived today and I'm planning to build five four socket bars as opposed to a single 20 socket unit. What I'm wondering is should I wire them in series or parallel?

Alright guys I figured out how to upload photos. This is 6 days growth. Moved the lights up to 8 inches 2 days ago and I think it's responding better. Was running 6 15w 1500 lumens(4 blue 2 red) and added another 3 more yesterday(1 blue 2 red). Had to re top but it is now topped properly and has 8 tops. Let me know what y'all think.

BruceBanner

She stayed so bushy because you've overbombarded her with lumens, what is a good thing to know if one wants bonsai bushy plants :)

BruceBanner

So u think it's doing good? All in all the plant is 3 weeks old from seed.

I don't have much experience, but for 3 weeks of veg it looks among the most developed, taking in consideration that you've topped her twice... but again it's too much light I think

Here are mine Alice / Upstream at about 6 weeks from flip / SugarLoaf flipped a bit later, she is a monster yielder strain for its size

From the early samples Upstream is good, music sounds like from ultra-fi system, Alice also not too shabby, very frosty :D

Last edited:

greenfox

Hey Bruce / Terp / Anyone, what's the spacing on your lights? I picked up some vanities and the center sockets are 6.5 inches from one another. Is that too far? Would I be better off disconnecting them and moving them closer? Maybe just buying the sockets themselves?

I've been using the prebuilt grow LED lights as a guide and they appear to have each node rather close to each other spread out in a small, shallow area. Compared to my vanities that are 6 socket and 36 inches wide / 4.25 inches tall.

Thanks!

*EDIT* - Yep, using the 14w leds!

Last edited:

Terpene

Veteran
Hey Bruce / Terp / Anyone, what's the spacing on your lights? I picked up some vanities and the center sockets are 6.5 inches from one another. Is that too far? Would I be better off disconnecting them and moving them closer? Maybe just buying the sockets themselves?

I've been using the prebuilt grow LED lights as a guide and they appear to have each node rather close to each other spread out in a small, shallow area. Compared to my vanities that are 6 socket and 36 inches wide / 4.25 inches tall.

Thanks!

If you're using the 14w units, 6.5 will be perfect. The smaller bulbs do better closer to one another - but mainly because you're up closer to the bulbs (1-2 inches instead of 3-5 inches) I'm currently running 14w/15w bulbs on 8.5 inch centers and haven't had any issues. I'm planning to buy the same vanity strips as yours for my setup if that gives you any idea.