What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
are those just tucked ? or ya use twisty ties or anything ? or just weave them around to stay down ?

Blynx. Things are looking lovely! I do have a couple questions though. First, the canopy looks very dense and I'm curious if u ever remove leaves for the purpose of light penetration? Would love to hear your experiences in detail.

Also, I noticed these plants are not "lollyopped" like many growers suggest. Likewise, I would like to hear why u take this approach.

I'm not trying to criticize in any way your methods, nor trying to set bait for the trolls... just like to hear what different growers approaches are so that I can make more educated decisions in my grow room.

Thanks for another wonderful, educational thread!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
are those just tucked ? or ya use twisty ties or anything ? or just weave them around to stay down ?

The only time I really use twisty ties, bamboo skewers or string is the initial training to try to get a plant more evenly laid out when it's first put into a cab.

All subsequent training is crushing and bending the stem.

Blynx. Things are looking lovely! I do have a couple questions though. First, the canopy looks very dense and I'm curious if u ever remove leaves for the purpose of light penetration? Would love to hear your experiences in detail.

Also, I noticed these plants are not "lollyopped" like many growers suggest. Likewise, I would like to hear why u take this approach.

I'm not trying to criticize in any way your methods, nor trying to set bait for the trolls... just like to hear what different growers approaches are so that I can make more educated decisions in my grow room.

Thanks for another wonderful, educational thread!

I might tuck a large fan, but other than that, I pretty much leave all foliage alone. I don't defoliate plants and the reasoning is tied to your next question about lollypopping.

I believe that all leaves on a plant are for energy storage that the plant uses as it grows. The plants end up eating themselves by consuming the energy in these fan leaves. They turn brown and fall off. This opens up the lower canopy toward the end of flowering.

A plant is only going to produce a certain amount. This amount is a combination of buds and larf.

I don't believe that removing stores of energy will increase in the overall yield. While it might help expose some lower larf to light, some energy is going to be diverted to those areas and I don't see how having less energy overall would increase the overall yield.

I also don't believe that lollypopping increases overall yield. While it might, slightly increase main bud size, it isn't going to increase it enough to make up for the mass of material that was removed.

The main reason I've heard from people that lollypop, and that's usually after hearing them admit that it really doesn't increase yield, is that it makes trimming quicker. This is especially true among people that aren't growing for their own personal use. I don't think dispensaries or customers are running out to buy bags of larf, they want buds.

Most of the strains I grow don't produce much larf. While there might be smaller buds under the main canopy, the buds are still solid buds, not some leaf with a couple calyxes. I grow for myself so I smoke the larf and the buds.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the scrog cab after two weeks of flowering.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 14 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Took a trip to the hardware store today, found a bunch of LED's bulbs. Found a nice 12W - 1055lm 4000k cool white for around $8, says 95% efficient on the box. Grabbed one to test it out, they put out a whole lotta light. Kinda regretting buying some Cree COB's since these are so much easier and cheaper, and no drivers needed!

By your pictures it seems like they can grow a hell lot of herbs!

Might implement one of two on my cab, just to add a different spectrum to the lights!

They also had a nice 10w led strip, 30cm long. Which I got my eyes on it for a veg area!

i agree that in most cases pulling lower leaves wont help, and in veg theres no reason to do it at all (except some cases where it would mold or w/e)

on some strains it helps when youre in around 3-4weeks of flower, pulling the 'to be' fluff off, somewhat wounding the spot, and it wont grow fluff there again and it will thus increase sap transport efficiency to the tops (its like how a bucket of water with two holes, the two holes have different waterpressure behind it)

Chloemobile

I needed a mom cab so I repurposed my old 11x11 cab into a mom cab and decided to buy/make a new flower cab. It's 12x15 and I copied the shit out of blynx's design.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
My flowering area of (9) 16w LEDs is doing so well I'm never going back to CFL. Heres Cherry Tart and Purple Haze Malawi x Napalm at 7 and 3 weeks respectively:
picture.php

picture.php

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
This should be a STICKY thread already! Thanks so much for all the data and info blynx!

I found another Phillips 13.5w LED bulbs that puts out 1521 lumens! They cost around 10 bucks where I live... A few of those can do some damage for sure! :)

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the 11" x 11" cab after six weeks of flowering.

Gorilla Glue #4

Day 42 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

The buds are getting nice and frosty!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the scrog cab after three weeks of flowering.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 21 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Starting to see where all the bud sites are.

grouchy

I saw a 150w equivalent led at the store tonight. It had three way dimming where it could be run at 2600 lumens or two lower settings. That could really come in handy, how would it need to be wired up?

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Blynx those cabs are killing it. They look more dense than I am used to seeing from you.

How are you liking the LEDs over your traditional setup (temps, growth, density, etc.)?

I take it you're never going back.. :tiphat:

I saw a 150w equivalent led at the store tonight. It had three way dimming where it could be run at 2600 lumens or two lower settings. That could really come in handy, how would it need to be wired up?

they make a 3 way switch for lamps. i have a couple of standing lamps that have the 3 ways.

i wonder if there is a change in efficiency in between the three settings??? ...guess you would need a light meter, a power consumption meter, and a calculator to find out! i have read of people running diy leds at lower wattage to make them cooler/more efficient (i believe that is why, at least). Wonder how that would pan out with the aforementioned bulbs?

Maybe it would be even more worth while to run 4 150watters at 50 watts, rather than just 4 50watters?