What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The LED pics look brighter to me than the CFL and they're almost half the wattage. I believe you made the right move by switching from CFL to LED.

meehi

Hi Blynx,

Thanks, The light from the CFL's look dull maybe because the camera seems to be compensating due to it shining directly at it. Here is a better comparison Pic's

I'm going to stick with the LED's due to the evidence in this thread, although it's a little sad to see my cfl creation get put to bed..

Attachments

• 20170614_182219.jpg
    20170614_182219.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170609_212828.jpg
    20170609_212828.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 11

frica

Hey guys I just swapped out my diy CFL Hood for another diy LED Light thanks to this post. However I'm not 100% sure it's going to work out better than my original light. When looking in the tent the overall brightness seems lower however the light appears more piercing.. I dunno..

Specs for the CFL Hood is a follows. 10x20Watt Spiral CFLS vs 12 x 9.5 Watt LEDS. Pictures below. Do you think I made the right choice swapping out the lights? I have 2 plants growing in a 24x16 inch tent each in a 2.6 gallon coir hempy bucket. (Things are getting very tight in there.

P.s. It's my first grow ever so really hoping for a few nugs :)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=416657&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=416658&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

CFL may look brighter because it's shining in every direction including your eyes while the LED is shining directly downwards towards the leaves.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
They're brighter, from everything I've measured, about 3-4x as bright per watt at every distance. The light is focused down instead of glowing out in every direction, so the perceived brightness is lower.

The penetration test continues. Ace Seeds Mauritius x Ethiopian at 8.5 weeks under screw in leds next to another Mauritius x Ethiopian at 2.5 weeks:
picture.php

Bud detail:
picture.php

argo430

Veteran
160 W in 10W mixed spectrum a 2x2 tray top drip hugos. Here we grow. Reg beans, so two or more should be boys. ASAD or AZAD a place in Kasmire the beans from Barefrog. The plan a 8-10 week veg.

the tent 630 with a few leds thrown in for more heat in the summer!

ic

Have a good hump day.

Attachments

• ccwht.jpg
    ccwht.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 11
  • one n two.jpg
    one n two.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ledonly.jpg
    ledonly.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 13

El Tigre

African Queen & Russian Doll (Kannabia) Harvest time!

African Queen & Russian Doll (Kannabia) Harvest time!

Flowered 77 days under 78 w Screw in Leds
picture.php

African Queen
picture.php

Russian Doll
picture.php

Thanks for starting this great thread, this is my first post here..I was googling some info about LED's and growing in a small cabinet and found this forum. I've got a cabinet 2.222 sq. ft. X 26" high that I plan on doing a grow using the information here, hopefully I'll have some of the great success I've seen.

Lizardthebird

Thanks blinx for making this thread. I wad looking into mars hydro gear for a while and stayed my current grow under a cfl. Then i saw this thread and learned everything i needed. I'll post some pics when i have something worth showing you guys. Thanks a lot!

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
12 weeks in and the LED penetration test continues with the 7' tall Ace Seeds Mauritius x Ethiopian:
picture.php

picture.php

Samuel Caldwell

Approx 2 weeks veg, all from seed. I ended up with more plants than I was planning on running but I guess I'd rather have too many than not enough. The 3 Ace plants are fems, the other 3 are regs and I'll cull any males. The Satori beans were from my pollen chucking and the purple haze is a bagseed.

2 Ace Tikal, 1 Ace Kali China, 2 Satori, 1 purple haze

Last edited: