What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

PCBuds

im shocked noone hasnt tried to patent this set up and sell it...................give it time right?

Part of it too is whether or not you live in a legal state/country.

If you need to be all covert about what you're doing then you're more apprehensive about what you buy.

Shortly after cannabis became legal here in Canada, you could buy a little hydroponic setup, as well as a little, grow light terrarium setup at my local Walmart.

(They were both around $100 though and were junky pieces of crap. The grow light was only 23 Watts and wasn't up to much.)

Jiffy seedling mix is available all year round now too.

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
With your SOG's are you working from seed or clone? Also wondering what size container your using?

In a micro environment do you think I could do okay flowering in 1/2gal containers? Going to go 12/12 after I top at the 3rd or 5th node.

SG

Yes, they're big enough, I used to do it in 1L pots which is 1/4gal and now I'm preparing to do it in 0,5L -17oz, 'cause I want them dwarfs.
The ones in 1/4gal used to grow as big as regular ones, up to 27inch in height, just a bit less branchy . I did it under hps and cfl, separate and combined. I've noticed at the time that flowering under cfl combined spectrum made them shorter.
This time I'm aiming for as small as I can get them with no branches, just shit on a stick. Clones from bonsai moms.
I'm starting with three or four strains hoping at least one will respond well to all the abuse coming their way.
I'll start in March with a few moms, working a perpetual sog inspired like many others from DrBudGreengenes.
I find clones more rewarding flowering time wise, they really are faster to finish.
And this time I have a strong allied in SILs, that's why I sticked myself like a cheap stamp on this thread. :biggrin:
I have a slow progress in growroom building (I usually do), due to last burst of cold in my area and other difficulties, but I'm coming. And I'll have something to compare CFL vs SIL because I allways use the same dimension to the growroom, I kind of standardise it in time. Same configuration just this time different light - SIL.
I will share, no worries, but somewhere late March - early April. :tiphat:
And a peak of my past project:

That was Wappa and this strain was the most satisfying I ever grew.
No rootbound, no hermies, no overwater (aquavalve) and excellent bud structure even under 6500K cfl all the way. Not to mention the strong and pleasant high, very energetic.
The pics are a bit weak, but so were my photo skills at the time.

noknees

That was Wappa and this strain was the most satisfying I ever grew.
No rootbound, no hermies, no overwater (aquavalve) and excellent bud structure even under 6500K cfl all the way. Not to mention the strong and pleasant high, very energetic

:tiphat:

had a guy in unfriendly territory hook me up with the best street-level bag i ever got. he was That Dude in his parts, his friends didn't even know his business. after some reading, i've suspected Wap was one of his girls and that's what was in that bag. care to describe in more detail flavors/effects? density?

the stuff i had featured a pretty unique sweet-fruit flavor, an extremely pleasant+happy, super-creative high with zero paranoia, (super rare for me) and proved effective against pain. i hope it's her. :)

great post and thanks for any info in advance :)

imakandi

hello :)

use 2x12w and 2x7.5w , 50 cm distance.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82279&pictureid=2009378&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

:) thank for thread instruction
learn lot
:huggg:

this is my seedlings,

this time, i start with 2x12W and 2x7.5W at 50 cm but too stretch, little light, even for small seedling.

i add 2x12W more, keep distance, but yellowing in top of plants.

so increase distance, to 75 cm, and it seem sweet spot.

most important i feel is be able to flexible and modification. if build something very strict, then any problem will make fail.

learning english, sorry for my write
thank for thread again

PCBuds

most important i feel is be able to flexible and modification. if build something very strict, then any problem will make fail.

learning english, sorry for my write
thank for thread again

It's all trial and error.

You've just got to find what works for you.

PS... your English is fine. We all know what you mean. :comfort:

Im'One

Ok completed my grow using 12 15 watt Sylvania with 8 at 3500 ND 4 at 5000k supplement by 9 cfls 4,at 2500 and 5 at 6500k. These were 42 watt bulbs. One wall unit led bar at ,5000k approximately 40 watt.
I had four dance hall plants and one Romulan grapefruit. They produced approximately 625 grams wet of bud plus some trim. The system was running at 580 watts. That's over a gram per watt if my math is correct. The buds were beautiful and dense.

Last edited:

Im'One

The two trimmed buds are the smaller Dancehall phenos grown under LEDs and the last one is the taller Christmas tree pheno grown under cfls. It took longer to finish than the led grown plants but they had different structure. I am not sure if the lights made the difference or it was the genetics. The Romulan was under cfls and finished slower too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_102811.jpg
    IMG_20200215_102811.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200211_194919.jpg
    IMG_20200211_194919.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200211_195158.jpg
    IMG_20200211_195158.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14

Im'One

The two smaller dancehall phenos were short bushy and had one main cola. They also had a purple underside on the leaves. I show them as trimmed so you can see the color better.

Sunshineinabag

sick ladies now healthy

sick ladies now healthy

5000k is so nice
if you guys havent seen yet el tigres got another grow journal up thats pretty entertaining!

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_093805.jpg
    IMG_20200217_093805.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200217_093823.jpg
    IMG_20200217_093823.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 16

El Tigre

5000k is so nice
if you guys havent seen yet el tigres got another grow journal up thats pretty entertaining!
Thanks Sunshine! As you said it, the link to the new diary is down on my signature.

Nothing special, just a little more updates and pics.

It's a long time I'm not contributing this thread so, a couple of bud shots from my latest grows:

Sour Stomper (Mephisto Genetics)
picture.php

Brooklyn Sunrise (Dutch Passion)
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
im shocked noone hasnt tried to patent this set up and sell it...................give it time right?

Patent what set up? SIL fixtures?

El Tigre; said:
It's a long time I'm not contributing this thread so, a couple of bud shots from my latest grows

Mmmmm very nice El Tigre... Those are some gorgeous flowers there. :tiphat:

I'll try to post a few pictures and updates in this thread here of a little side - side by side experiment I'm doing in my branch blooming experiment, just comparing all 5000k to 2/3 5000k and 1/3 2700k. The outside branches of this plant are about 1 week into flower in this picture. The branches inside the 24hour box seem to still be in veg.

picture.php

Sunshineinabag

I'm better off building my own board....i asked the local light dude but he keeps putting my work off for these rich retirees "jobs" idk man .....society has changed here as well in a very akward way.
I like scrogs set up......I watched an asplundh lineman burn one of his arms off in arborculture school when i was younger.....traumatic attack to the eyes and nose for me.......have been leery of any kind of "wiring for electric" but i may have to try regardless because i want it done right and preferably within 60 days lol.
so with these reflective materials are prob preferable...........what are you guys using for relflective material?

SuperBadGrower

Patent what set up? SIL fixtures?

Mmmmm very nice El Tigre... Those are some gorgeous flowers there. :tiphat:

I'll try to post a few pictures and updates in this thread here of a little side - side by side experiment I'm doing in my branch blooming experiment, just comparing all 5000k to 2/3 5000k and 1/3 2700k. The outside branches of this plant are about 1 week into flower in this picture. The branches inside the 24hour box seem to still be in veg.

View Image

Aw what a cool design man.That made my day
Looking forward to your result

Im'One

I'm better off building my own board....i asked the local light dude but he keeps putting my work off for these rich retirees "jobs" idk man .....society has changed here as well in a very akward way.
I like scrogs set up......I watched an asplundh lineman burn one of his arms off in arborculture school when i was younger.....traumatic attack to the eyes and nose for me.......have been leery of any kind of "wiring for electric" but i may have to try regardless because i want it done right and preferably within 60 days lol.
so with these reflective materials are prob preferable...........what are you guys using for relflective material?
to

I paint my walls white. That's it.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a round from last year where I got lazy and let the cab go a lot longer than I usually run it.

C99 x SSSDH (Shire cut)

Day 80 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

:joint:

imakandi

hellu
screwn led friends
:)

i'm appreciate all thread
before i read this
i think 'what lyght for small box', mayb $250
small box lyght more expensive in store
little available, size alway problem
never my size

i make my lamp with instruction here
go to store, near house
total money mayb $55 (bulb, wood, hook, wire,etc)
and 4 hour work

it work :)

11 day pass

lamp is just wood chonk
lmoa

mayb some thing for note
january i buy led bulb in aliexpress
arrive this week, i try
is 18w...
compare to philips 12w... is nothing, no brand bulb is bad bad
good quality led is what want
philips brand is good