What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

ScrogMonster

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

PCBuds

It looks like they have a huge cattle prod/Tazer happening though, ...

You might wanna keep the globes on. Lol ��

Last edited:

pANicModE

indagroove

Veteran
Ya that’s literally the back of the package.. I bought 4 of them for my 8 bulb cab and I Deff like the spectrum although They don’t seem as bright.. but I guess the spectrum will make up for it. We shall see :tiphat:

Yeah, the lumen/wattage rating seems really low on those bulbs.

PCBuds

I grow my clones and seedlings the same way.. Start in party cups filled 2/3 of the way up with Fire Fox Ocean Forest soil, topped the rest of the way with jiffy seedling mix. That way they both start in an inert medium, and once the root system is developed they grow into the soil below with organic nutes. Once the root system fills the party cup, I start feeding nutes and transplant into 1-gallon containers.

I think I'm going to get more bang for my buck with new lighting as opposed to specialized soil.

$80 for 42 L of dirt kinda rubs me the wrong way.

And what forest did they decimate to deliver me this soil ??

And the Foxes...
How many Foxes were set on fire to provide me with that soil ?? Lol ��

Last edited:

indagroove

Veteran
I think I'm going to get more bang for my buck with new lighting as opposed to specialized soil.

$80 for 42 L of dirt kinda rubs me the wrong way.

And what forest did they decimate to deliver me this soil ??

And the Foxes...
How many Foxes were set on fire to provide me with that soil ?? Lol ��

$80??? Yikes!!@! Yeah, I wouldn't want to pay that either. I pay under $10 for the same size bag at my local hydro store. It is really quite lovely potting mix for growing Cannabis however..

FoxFarm_Ocean_Forest2_2000x.jpg

:groupwave: :groupwave: :groupwave:

fox-farms-ocean-forest-2_1200x1200.jpg

PCBuds

$80??? Yikes!!@! Yeah, I wouldn't want to pay that either. I pay under $10 for the same size bag at my local hydro store. It is really quite lovely potting mix for growing Cannabis however..

I did some more searching and Fox Farm isn't readily available in Canada. It's kinda only online then there's huge shipping costs.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I did some more searching and Fox Farm isn't readily available in Canada. It's kinda only online then there's huge shipping costs.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/s2s7sgzR/Screenshot-2019-12-09-17-37-38.png]View Image[/url]

I’ve heard ppl say many times that FFOF can come with gnat or spider mite eggs sometimes. I’ve never used it myself I know a lot of ppl love it though. I imagine that composted forest hummus is where the bugs/eggs most likely get into the recipe. I been thinking about going with something sterilized like promix HP... that’s sterile right? Then adding in a bunch of org nutes and high quality worm castings and extra perlite.

indagroove

Veteran
I’ve heard ppl say many times that FFOF can come with gnat or spider mite eggs sometimes. I’ve never used it myself I know a lot of ppl love it though. I imagine that composted forest hummus is where the bugs/eggs most likely get into the recipe. I been thinking about going with something sterilized like promix HP... that’s sterile right? Then adding in a bunch of org nutes and high quality worm castings and extra perlite.

I've actually had more problems with gnats in coming in a sterile bag of jiffy mix. Gnats and other bugs often come in at the retail level when it's stored in retail warehouses and shops. I have no way to substantiate the claim but I've heard that FFOF has beneficial insects such as predatory mites.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I've actually had more problems with gnats in coming in a sterile bag of jiffy mix. Gnats and other bugs often come in at the retail level when it's stored in retail warehouses and shops. I have no way to substantiate the claim but I've heard that FFOF has beneficial insects such as predatory mites.

Ooo perhaps I should try it out some time. :tiphat:

PCBuds

I've sterilized my soil in the oven a couple of times.

You put it in a roasting pan covered in tin foil and bring the internal temperature to 160° F for half an hour to kill bugs or 180° F to kill weed seeds as well.
You use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.

If you take it any hotter, you will kill off all your beneficial microbes and the organic matter will start to burn and become toxic.

PS... Your house will stink. Baked dirt is not a pleasant smell at all. Lol.

EDIT: I just found this quote about sterilization.

Someone wanted to try to sterilize his soil with an HPS light.

It looks like sterilization can be a big Pain In The Ass.

" Quote:
Why would you want to sterilize your soil?
^^^ yea that; and besides you won't come close to sterilizing your media that way. You're only about 10-15'F over peak temp for mesopiles, and thermotolerant mesophiles will do fine in that temp; as will thermophiles and hyperthermophiles (the last group shouldn't be present in media).

Best sterilization method requires high temps you won't get with an HPS or anything short of an autoclave, or a big pressure cooker (both at 248'F for 30 minutes at high pressure). Using harsh chemicals or radiation (x-ray or UV-c) also works. Other methods would be "tyndallization" (212'F) or using a microwave (or oven) but you won't know for sure if you sterilized media or not, it's a guessing game unless you know the temps reached (> 320'F) and it takes a while (> 2 hours; less time for higher temps) because it's dry heat.

In terms of decent quantities of media there are few practicle methods for most people. Using a presure cooker at 15 psi for 60-90 min with media in a 0.2 micron filter patch bag would be your best bet.

You need to make sure any endospores which might be present germinate before heating by moistening media and leaving it for a day at normal temps.

Here is some info:

https://www.microbiologyprocedure.com...rilisation.htm

Info on tyndallization:

Which you could possibly do by placing media in a few turkey oven bags; but it's not a good method for media. Tyndallization is/was used for grains soaking in water, nuteint broths, etc.

After the water is brought to 100'C (212'F) for about 30 min it's cooled to 37'C (~99'F) for a day, which is in the mesophilic temp range, that allows spores (bacterial and fungal) to produce vegetative cells, and thus be killed by latter heating to 100'C for 3 consecutive days. And if you using media in bags then you would need to heat it to 100'C for longer than 30 minutes to insure core temp of media reaches 100'C.

"More on Spores: Sterilization of Broth Media - Tyndallization"
www.umsl.edu/~microbes/tyndallization.pdf

Last edited:

HorseBadoritiz

If you really want to know, Fox Farm is quite approachable, and then you wouldn't need a disclaimer... you could actually post accurate info... crazy, I know, lol!

noknees

I've sterilized my soil in the oven a couple of times.

You put it in a roasting pan covered in tin foil and bring the internal temperature to 160° F for half an hour to kill bugs or 180° F to kill weed seeds as well.
You use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.

If you take it any hotter, you will kill off all your beneficial microbes and the organic matter will start to burn and become toxic.

PS... Your house will stink. Baked dirt is not a pleasant smell at all. Lol.

EDIT: I just found this quote about sterilization.

Someone wanted to try to sterilize his soil with an HPS light.

It looks like sterilization can be a big Pain In The Ass.

" Quote:
Why would you want to sterilize your soil?
^^^ yea that; and besides you won't come close to sterilizing your media that way. You're only about 10-15'F over peak temp for mesopiles, and thermotolerant mesophiles will do fine in that temp; as will thermophiles and hyperthermophiles (the last group shouldn't be present in media).

Best sterilization method requires high temps you won't get with an HPS or anything short of an autoclave, or a big pressure cooker (both at 248'F for 30 minutes at high pressure). Using harsh chemicals or radiation (x-ray or UV-c) also works. Other methods would be "tyndallization" (212'F) or using a microwave (or oven) but you won't know for sure if you sterilized media or not, it's a guessing game unless you know the temps reached (> 320'F) and it takes a while (> 2 hours; less time for higher temps) because it's dry heat.

In terms of decent quantities of media there are few practicle methods for most people. Using a presure cooker at 15 psi for 60-90 min with media in a 0.2 micron filter patch bag would be your best bet.

You need to make sure any endospores which might be present germinate before heating by moistening media and leaving it for a day at normal temps.

Here is some info:

https://www.microbiologyprocedure.com...rilisation.htm

Info on tyndallization:

Which you could possibly do by placing media in a few turkey oven bags; but it's not a good method for media. Tyndallization is/was used for grains soaking in water, nuteint broths, etc.

After the water is brought to 100'C (212'F) for about 30 min it's cooled to 37'C (~99'F) for a day, which is in the mesophilic temp range, that allows spores (bacterial and fungal) to produce vegetative cells, and thus be killed by latter heating to 100'C for 3 consecutive days. And if you using media in bags then you would need to heat it to 100'C for longer than 30 minutes to insure core temp of media reaches 100'C.

"More on Spores: Sterilization of Broth Media - Tyndallization"
www.umsl.edu/~microbes/tyndallization.pdf

maybe you could start your very own junk-drawer thread.

Legalcdn

Instead of oven baked dirt..if you have a BBQ you can keep smell outside. Use tin roasting pans from dollar stores. I decarb my weed on the bbq.. 110 farenheit for 110 minutes.

PCBuds

Instead of oven baked dirt..if you have a BBQ you can keep smell outside. Use tin roasting pans from dollar stores. I decarb my weed on the bbq.. 110 farenheit for 110 minutes.

I was worried about my bagged soil having bugs in it so I figured some heat might help and probably wouldn't hurt.

I wasn't looking for complete sterilization, just to knock out some of the bigger pests.

Latest posts

Latest posts