What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OD Seed Buying: Do's and Don'ts.

G

medicine farmer, I think the stability is comming from the process they are using now rather than the company. The sts process seems to work very well and the plants don't reverse and they show real stability. Ive cloned the hell out of them. Ive been buying 3 seeds and turning the best of the 3 into 23. I recently found a company that sells all strains by individual seeds. I just ordered 2 seeds of big bud femmed from sensi seeds and Ill turn the best of the 2 seeds into an entire outdodor crop.

Im not sure that other methods are as effective as the STS. Ive been drawn to Mdanzigs femmed Blueberry offereing, but light poisoning was used to make the seeds and Im scared to death of them. Light poisoning makes hermies from my perspective. Yes, they may show female flowers but I know of no positive effect from tinkering with the cannabis plants photoperiod for any reason.

So that would be my answer. I beleive that sts is what everyone is using and I think and its becomming known to work so well that every grower and his brother are starting to make them.

With all of that said, Sweetseeds fems are excellent. Both Greenhouse strains were very good and stable, Mandala's one offering performed well. Ive grown 2 varieties of Dutch passion and both performed well with out hermies. Female seeds was good.

Phate, my experience says there is less variation among female seeds, but there is still some. Ive grown several strains where the plants were all quite similar, but Ive grown others were clearly, 2 different pheno's appeared. Female seeds "ice" had 2 as did Greenhouse's Himalayan Gold. More consistency, but not complete consistency by any means.

Last edited:

jeffd7766

Hey guys, thought id like to chime in on this with some of MY PERSONAL experiences. This is my 4th year running femmed seeds and each year i do more and more of them. It really does make outdoor growing so much easier. And like silverback said i have found there to be little variation in the femmed seeds. It really does make sense tho with the ways they are creating them. So far i have run 2 strains from GHS they were Big Bang and Lemon Skunk. I will explain these two a little later. I have also tried DP shaman, which by the way i come back to every year. The taste/smell is liek NO OTHER i have tasted/smelled. I have also Run PP from nirvana i believe( dont quote me on the nirvana thing as i did not order them) Anyway back to the GHS femmed the big bang would be an awsome producer but mold was a killer. I checked them on a thursday, went back sunday to harvest only to notice that i lost every single cola. Which by the way ended up being almost half the yield becasue they get massive dense colas. I would also like to say it need s avery long cure time. At first it smelled like dead fish, and that is no joke. It i now comming a long pretty nice and has a fruity smell but an earthy taste. NOW the lemon skunk on the other hand is amazing. It was my latest finisher ( im at 42 north) But all but one plant was done and the one that wasnt is still excellent smoke. We had terrible rains/cold late in the fall and not a single bud had a spec of mold on it. The finished product is a amazing, very easy to trim only tiny leaves. The smell and taste is of superb quality and i had no problem getting 6 oz' in solid clay with 2x2 holes and only 5 hour direct sunlight and the rest is filtered(which by the way is my last year with the small holes) But the cured bud is white with trichs and the high is very uplifting and lasts a good 4 hrs with little to no knock out, but it gives the worst case of munchies haha. ok sorry for the rambling any other questions about the strain please feel free to ask. happy toking and everyone keep safe :joint:

Buddle

Veteran
Nice to get those reports JeffD..I'm at 41.5 and an avid outdoor grower.I've been looking at the Lemon Skunk.Your report sold me..thx.I could do w/o the munchies but hey good bud is good bud right..
Fingaz..I like those seed calyxes too..Big time...yum
P.S. Jeff...give DP's Trance a run too.They are one of their cheapest strains and she rocks outdoors.Finishes mid to end of Oct..lots of color in her buds..Dark pink hairs..vigorous 1/2-3/4 lb plants in a 30 gal trash barrel or tote..I'm sure they'd really produce in the ground.great mold resistance..peace

Last edited:
G

Jeffd and i are starting a club, OUCH. outdoor unisex cannibas horticulturist!

Hey Buddle, ive always been interested in Trance. Whats the potency and high like? probable untopped height? Fully finished by then? Ive grown the HH and have seen grow of purple 1. Im not too impressed with that branch of their genetics. Trance is different?

jeffd7766

buddle, i highly suggest that you do in fact give it a whirl. And i might just take you up on the trance, just as soon as you let us know how the smoke is. I really hate growin bud that has a hard time gettin a fly high, you know what i mean? Like for instance i grew out nirvana purple power. Needless to say it must be an AF becasue my dad had a heart attack 2 july's ago and i remember i had to harvest them when he was still in the hospital. He was kind of mad that i wouldnt let him make the trek through the swamp 4 days after his release from the hospital. oh god im rambling again. anyway the PP sucked IMHO. taste was awful looked alright becasue of the purple tint to some of them and youd have to smoke 2 joints to get ya high. I kind of like the idea of AF's but as of now just dont have the indoor space to start them to get what id want out of them, i mean i did end up with about 3 oz per plant and the largest one was 3 ft so i guess that isnt THAT bad.

haha and silverback, where do i sign up?lol if only my pea sized brain could influence people to try more things the possibilites are indeed quite endless.

one more thing for silverback and/or anyone willing to help. Liek i said before i either grow in a swamp in the LARGE sized rubbermaid totes or on a hill top which is solid hard clay. OK the swamp growing part is fine and could really load this place if i wanted. but i dont, i want to focus my attention to the hil top plot. as of now i have been using 2x2 holes and filling them with pro mix/some cow dooty, and extra perlite. ok so here is the deal, during veg the plants are lush and grow great and have no problem getting 8-9 ft tall. but as soon as they start to bud it seems like they just dont have enough ummpphhh to flower to full potential. I would say im getting about 1/4 the yield i should be. I know bigger holes bigger plants usually, but what about if i dug say 3ft deepx 3 ft wide trenches about 8 ft long and filled them in. How many would you say could get along in a trench like that. Mind you ariel view is not really a problem. Well i guess i shouldnt really say to much more and then just get stuck in my own ways. I really need help as to a plan for this spot. So ANY help from anyone regarding what to mix into the spoil, hole size etc......ok gotta stop rambling have to write 10 page paper on the dna structure of dinosaurs and relate it to the "scientific thoughts of the actualy jurassic park scientists" god where to begin thanks again all and happy toking :joint: ahh lemon skunk

alright jeff....heres whats up......you and i have some things in common so ill try to assist.....

"i either grow in a swamp in the LARGE sized rubbermaid totes or on a hill top which is solid hard clay" this is the same case as mine

the swamp growing part is fine and could really load this place if i wanted. but i dont, i want to focus my attention to the hil top plot also the same case as mine

i have been using 2x2 holes
I use about that size though i dont measure.

it seems to me that you need a nice top-dress flowering fertilizer unless youre able to water in a liquid fert somewhat regularly. I prefer to do both, watering in a nute for now (i only visit like 6 times in 6 months so i water, nute, pest control, top, etc all at the same times), then top dressing but not watering it in so it will chill and not feed much until the next rain. watering in nutes wont always work for all people if thats the case ill increase the volume of top-dress by about 1/3.

Here what i do to top-dress.....
when i plant, my clones go in the dirt with a layer of thick newspaper to mulch with a layer or leaves, twigs, dead grass, etc to mulch further and hide the paper. (this part is important) whenever top dress time comes i get my indredients (for flower i use espoma flowertone product plus high P guano) and i mix them with something more or less intert like sand or EWC. i mix with an "inert" media to make a larger volume of dressing so it isnt as concentrated and i have more room for error (mismeasuring an ounce isnt as big of a deal with a large volume). i will portion this mix up in large ziplocks and i put them in two backpacks (one for me one for partner) where i pack them out to the field. Once i arrive at a plant i pull out a lil baggie, dump 1/3 of it under the newspaper right on the earth and spread it evenly, same with the next 3rd over the newspaper but under the leaf litter layer. Lastly I sprinkle the final 3rd right on top of the leaves and litter. This makes a more time released effect and it prevents the risk of burning as well.

jeffd7766

that sound interesting indeed. I do like your idea, however like you said you dont get the chance to see/love yours to much, i on the other hand am able to go see them everyday if i wanted to. The threat of someone noticing is very small as my neighbors are either very old or very honest older tokers themselves. I do use liquid ferts and have been going with fox farm grow big during veg and a combo of FF tiger bloom and FF big bloom with added molasses of course. I honestly dont think the ferts are the issue i am more leaning towards the root ball size VS. the volume of my holes, i know for a fact that the roots dont leave the holes that i place them in. And what seems to be happening is that the roots take up the entire space before flower and when flower does come there is very little room for root expansion. What id really like to do is rent a roto tiller and plow the whole plot up and fill with my own mix, but that WOULD NOT be an option for obvious reason lol... i am really not sure what to do in this case, i hate to change the whole plot around and have it come around and bite me in the arse but then again i dont want to keep spending hours upon hours for a minimal yield....But i would liek to thank you for taking the time to explain your method and i assure you i will try it on a select few. Becasue we all know what works for one does not always work for all..again stay safe :joint:

jeff youre a kind fellow. If i have access to plants daily, (like i used to when i was younger) i almost treat them like hydro plants with a ph'd ppm measured nute solution and a fast draining light weight media in a container. almost like passive-drain to waste outdoor hydro...then you have the option to upsize the pot....or you could do this if you wanna do all the work at the beginnning.....(my friend/associate does this with containers but would work with a hole)....

dig a hole that is say...2x2x2...take a 32 ounce cup, a 2 gal pot, and a 5 gal pot.

fill the 32 ounce cup and plant directly in it.....fill the 2 gal pot and set the 32 oz cup inside it buried, put the 2 gal in the 5 gal buried again, then lastly bury your 5 gal bucket in the 2x2x2 hole.

now, after the clone fills the 32 ounce pot with a tight well developed rootball you just dig the cup out (some roots will rip out cuz they'll grow out the drainage holes, its okay) remove the cup from the rootball and place it back into the 2 gal full of dirt.....do this as needed as they grow and then right before flowering you can remove the 5 gal and go right into the dirt and you can check the root development too by sliding the cup or pot off the rootball to inspect...

homey's logic is related to how indoor enthusiasts like to up-pot incrementally to allow for the best and most developed rootball.....its based on the nature of the plants roots wanting to "explore" but meeting a wall (the inside of the pot or the clay in your case.) good idea? will it work for ya? who knows?!! i sure hope it does!

jeffd7766

now were talking. i really like your ideology here. I had a similar idea of using 5 gal buckets and cutting them in half and putting them on top of the holes that is say 3 ft deep and then bury the bucket about 4 inches into the dirt for stability. I figure then id have a base so i know where the most concentration is and thus meaning i know where exactly to pour the ferts and how much depending on plant/strain. Oh man ideas are flyin now. Regardless as to what method or methods i choose i know the bottom line is i need more root space. Im going to try the bucket method and your method on a dozen or so. But to may more this way becomes more a full time job, when i only have time for a part time job if you get my drift.

On a whole different subject and back to the swamp growing. This is an idea my dad through at me recently. If you take a 50 gallon burlap sack or whatever size you feel alright with. Find a nice moist spot check PH and all that jazz. now make a mound of dirt on top of the damp swamp muck, make sure you know the water levels during the wetter parts of the summer. now cut a few holes in the top of the bag and tie it up between a few small trees around your mound of dirt and hang the bag over the top of it so that the bottom of the bag sits on top of the mound. fill half way with your desired soil mix and then wet it down a bunch so it gets kinda of thick. make small slices in the bottom of the sack and since its kinda wet and mucky it wont run out, now fill it up the rest of the way with your soil and plant the plant in the top of the bag.
His theory behind this is that the mound of soil underneath with stay consistantly damp and the burlap will also absorb moisture giving it a constent supply of water.
Now i know everyone swamps are a lot different but this method and idea i think would work awsome in my location.
Again this is a very loose idea and i would like anyone to let me know what they think or how it could be improved....stay safe fellas :joint:

jeffd7766

one more thing. I want to apologize to silverback for going quite off topic on his thread. But i look forward to seeing what you have to say about some of my ideas/issues.
I have a question that is may or may not be ridiculous. But i Have not ever really gotten into cloning to much. Is cloning still possible when the plant came from a femmed seed? And is it the same difficulty as normal? Thanks again guys