What's new

Occupy Wall Street: Not on major media but worth watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

In~Plain~Site

I knew you were looking at this stuff emotionally.As someone who has a background in Finance/Commercial lending, I apologize you were dealt with by an unethical individual.You do realize that's all it was, right?

You want to condemn/label/box up an entire workforce on anecdotal evidence...or headlines maybe?

Bad doctors
Bad lawyers
Bad cops
Bad cooks

For every one of those scenarios there were 5 more with greedy borrowers who knew for fucks sake well they couldn't afford those 300k notes...If Jesus H. Christ himself had come down and told you "You can afford it" would you have believed him?

It was more of these people telling themselves "I have the American dream coming to me"...heart of hearts,knowing full well it wasn't right.

When I was in high school, I wanted to work on my own cars, couldn't afford a mechanic...I educated myself.Computers weren't part of the curriculum when I went through school, but I was fascinated by them and wanted to build them...I educated myself.

I wanted to flip houses back in the 80's and learn everything I could about the industry....you get the picture.

You want to paint this thing to be one-sided, it's not.Some oversight and a tightening of already existing regulations is all that was needed....That and maybe some folks educating themselves.

I feel badly that some people felt cheated,personally I wouldn't have been able to do such a thing.Corny shit to follow because you mention such folks as being hypocrites...I went about my business with my own Hippocratic oath...A man can not get rich himself, unless he enriches others.

Golden Rule...you can be a capitalist with a heart and conscience, DB.

I got screwed on my first mortgage in 92. The broker made more money on an FHA loan than a conventional. I was steered to FHA after I suggested I'd take advantage of low interest rates and go minimum down. Of course, FHA minimum down is about 10% the down payment of conventional down. So later on the lender said I didn't qualify for conventional because of "credit implications".

I found out later that "credit implications" simply meant the broker was locked on FHA minimum down and not even considering conventional minimum down. Brokers are supposed to give you the available options, not steer you toward their best commissions.

I also found out that "credit implications" is industry speak. The broker couldn't explain why I had credit difficulties w/ no judgements and no late payments they could reference. I was led to believe that credit agencies had better tracks on my finances than I did.

Turns out, I couldn't litigate the misunderstanding because it wasn't dictated in the contract. This is a hearsay scenario where "credit implications" means one thing to the buyer and another to the lender.

So best case scenario, the broker took a look at me and assumed I didn't have conventional down. Even though I expressed wanting to know all options I'd qualify for. Not very professional to assume, she only need inquire.

Worst case, the bitch took advantage of the fact she's a professional and knows the ropes.

Peeps that think buyers should bear the brunt of unfair lending practices forget they defend the free market as a place where things like that don't happen because the market will sort it all out. Former crooks will become honest when nobody else tells em what to do.

You said it, Injoy. They'll kiss your cheek and stab your back. Especially those boasting their gains form others' hardship. Not that they did well, that's fine and dandy. But they're such fucking hyps.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The "tea party"
LMAO
The new big government "conservatives"
No DB I'm no partisan line toter the tea party is an even bigger joke than the occupation crowd.

Nice try at even more of your red V blue.

I love it when one of the most polar partisan posters calls me divisive.
It like grape calling someone obstinate.

Tell us again how it's all those evil republicans in bed with GS/citibank et all...

I exampled the tea party, I made no associations and you know it. Even though it's fairly evident you're ticked at the recent crop of peaceful protesters when a few bad eggs in the other crowd were calling Rep. Cleaver epithets and screaming who knows what at other lawmakers.

Just pointing out it's interesting you disparage both forms of protest but only after one points out you're not.

Leo doesn't harass tea parties, let alone corral them to facilitate arrest. A rather disparaging aspect, wouldn't you say?

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Just pointing out it's interesting you disparage both forms of protest but only after one points out you're not.
the only relevance the tea party has here is in your dems v. repubs constant division...

the reason i did not bring them up in this discussion is they are not the topic.

why would i have "disparaged" them in an off topic rant?

ohhh yea it red vs. blue in your mind..

when there is no red or blue only green.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I knew you were looking at this stuff emotionally.As someone who has a background in Finance/Commercial lending, I apologize you were dealt with by an unethical individual.You do realize that's all it was, right?

Wrong. If one is affected they're emotional? Not the folks that don't put neat little labels on soooo many aspects of reason. I not only realize it was possibly unethical, I reflected as much in my post. Wasn't a bitch fest, it was a rebuke to suggestion we're all just bad financiers. Given the circumstances, I might have opted for FHA but I didn't get that opportunity because somebody wasn't making enough money to keep up with the Jones'.

Admit it, you get a little tired hearing those suggestions.

And your apology is exactly what I'd expect from any complaint I might have made. But I'm relatively certain they wouldn't have liabled themselves in the process.:D

And the excuse that government forced lending to anybody is crap. You just can't discriminate because of minority, race, bigotry etc. You're still supposed to do your little risk management and only refuse over legal aspects.

That's right... you're still supposed to refuse insolvents. Hey, you learned the biz, right.:bigeye:

But I didn't say you lend to deadbeats.:ying:

You want to condemn/label/box up an entire workforce on anecdotal evidence...or headlines maybe?

Bad doctors
Bad lawyers
Bad cops
Bad cooks
Why not add bad politicians? Let's just cut to the chase and say bad people. The world's got some bad people in every facet of the game. IMO, it's not negativity. IMO, it's human nature and we can't fool ourselves that bad elements don't necessarily discriminate.

For every one of those scenarios there were 5 more with greedy borrowers who knew for fucks sake well they couldn't afford those 300k notes...
Halleluiah. The industry spokesperson would like to extend blanket apology for generating the emotion he received 5 times over, lol.

Hypocrisy and IC. Two great tastes that taste great together.
If Jesus H. Christ himself had come down and told you "You can afford it" would you have believed him?
Would you believe Jesus H pointed to the hotfoot you're giving yourself?

It was more of these people telling themselves "I have the American dream coming to me"...heart of hearts,knowing full well it wasn't right.
That's what makes your little apology so bizarre. The industry doesn't have to answer for regulation that wasn't in place when they sold bullshit loans. Lack of regulation is government's fault. But greed apologists and pointing blame elsewhere are tired rhetoric. We knew what happened while it was happening and now we have all the indicators and evidence of where the problems existed (and still exist.) One is paying ratings agencies for their own product. That will have to be rectified. Many other areas will be considered. Like holding a note vs selling to somebody else... and then betting it'll fold and credit default to win/win, regardless. Yeah, that's real 'right' isn't it, IPS?

When I was in high school, I wanted to work on my own cars, couldn't afford a mechanic...I educated myself.Computers weren't part of the curriculum when I went through school, but I was fascinated by them and wanted to build them...I educated myself.

I wanted to flip houses back in the 80's and learn everything I could about the industry....you get the picture.
Yeah, I get your picture... caveat emptor. Nice when one can make things so complicated the average buyer isn't aware. I imagine you free marketeers are the best argument against a free market.

You want to paint this thing to be one-sided, it's not.Some oversight and a tightening of already existing regulations is all that was needed....That and maybe some folks educating themselves.
How 'bout one-sided times 5? After all, there's 5 of us for every 1 of you, right?

I feel badly that some people felt cheated,personally I wouldn't have been able to do such a thing.Corny shit to follow because you mention such folks as being hypocrites...I went about my business with my own Hippocratic oath...A man can not get rich himself, unless he enriches others.

Golden Rule...you can be a capitalist with a heart and conscience, DB.
This reads like the internal Koch memo in the Bloomberg article. You've got this embedded us-vs-them schtick and it's poisoning the process.

^^^That's your bs argument, IPS.^^^

Folks that don't have an iron in the fire know there is such a thing as mortgage fraud. You know that newspaper they throw on your lawn? Try reading it sometime. Mortgage fraud is a felony and not too many folks are stupid enough to think they can get away with it and still stay in the house. But it does happen. Sort of like voter fraud. The penalties far outweigh the risks and you won't read about many voter fraud convictions in that paper your dogs chewing on more than you are.

But things like lending fraud and election fraud, those you read about far more often. It's no longer an individual looking for a bone, it's systemic.

What's worse than an individual ripping off Medicare? Organized groups ripping off Medicare. Some of these folks get away with shit that ain't even against current law. We're always one step behind these guys but we don't apologize for em.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
the king of us v. them calling the kettle black???

DB:
did you ever say
"i have 30% to put down i'd like a fixed rate loan. can you give me your best 3 options so i can shop them against other lenders?"

if financing a house is to "complicated" get an internet connection,a library card or go to a barnes and noble(do they have those anymore?) keep renting till you figure it out.

if an a.r.m with no money down and a big balloon seems attractive keep reading and renting till this bout of lunacy passes

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
the only relevance the tea party has here is in your dems v. repubs constant division...

the reason i did not bring them up in this discussion is they are not the topic.

why would i have "disparaged" them in an off topic rant?

ohhh yea it red vs. blue in your mind..

when there is no red or blue only green.

You and IPS are on the same page. You two think you can substitute sound-bites for events aka facts. I'll call out the first democrat that's in that boat.

Nobody inferred you should go off topic. But you're replete with polar thinking on top of your political leanings.

I wouldn't expect you two to accept that I've already acknowledged -

capitalism = goooood

It just doesn't fit your narrative. But dag, at least IPS doesn't play, "I know you are, what am I?" every other post.

You've been on the record as apolitical for years. No disputing that. But your narrative follows the same soundbites that Frank Luntz emanates from conservative incorporated. You don't accept events as reality when the rhetoric suggests otherwise.

C

chefro420

WTF ! We support and probably caused a lot of the "arab spring uprisings" . Now are citizens are protesting , and we round up 700 of em and arrest them when they are protesting non-violently? ? Are they all going to be investigated by the NYPD now, like the Muslims?

Last edited:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Yous guys just get married and be done with it!! lol
This is not a
"one thing"..It is a protest, to whatever you don't like-- Say it loud, say it proud--:bump:

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
You and IPS are on the same page. You two think you can substitute sound-bites for events aka facts. I'll call out the first democrat that's in that boat.

sound bytes?
this entire "movement" is duped by soundbytes!!!
the "fact" is we all shoulder responsibility even the "victims"

Nobody inferred you should go off topic. But you're replete with polar thinking on top of your political leanings.
since the TP is off topic yes the inference was made...

I wouldn't expect you two to accept that I've already acknowledged -

capitalism = goooood
and ive agreed..

It just doesn't fit your narrative. But dag, at least IPS doesn't play, "I know you are, what am I?" every other post.

don't wanna hear the pee wee?
tell 'ya what stop playing the party cheergirl while accusing everyone else of being divisive/polar.

go three posts without bringing up bush,cheney,"kocks" or the tea party to say "they did it"
like the bush bots did constantly with clinton.

But your narrative follows the same soundbites that Frank Luntz emanates from conservative incorporated. You don't accept events as reality when the rhetoric suggests otherwise.

ohhh please..

a gay marriage supporting,pot loving,pro choice,anti war,freedom from religion frank luntz?

you place yourself in a box regularly as such you display the need to place others in the same way.

but i voted against bush twice and obusha once.

i dont fit in the box you would like to try to put me in..

you are tied for the most partisan divisive poster(with grape) imo.

so yes every time you attempt to call my pointing out there is no difference in the "two parties" divisive/polar ill point out the constant pmsnbc/huff post divisive crap you spew...

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Yous guys just get married and be done with it!! lol
This is not a
"one thing"..It is a protest, to whatever you don't like-- Say it loud, say it proud--:bump:

hey..
you have to admit me and DB have been pretty good lately this is the first thread we have done this in in weeks!!!

just different lenses

hell we even tag teamed a complete moron concerning hermis

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
did you ever say
"i have 30% to put down i'd like a fixed rate loan. can you give me your best 3 options so i can shop them against other lenders?"

Duh, before we chose the mortgage company. Maybe we should have got three opinions whether all three options had tricks up their sleeve.

Before we go any further, my deal wasn't any different than I would have ultimately chosen. I just added more aspects while you flouted others as incompetents. I thinks it says loads about you, lumping scenarios into the world according to dagmatic. You get it... dogmatic?:bigeye: It means you comment on things you know nothing about.

if financing a house is to "complicated" get an internet connection,a library card or go to a barnes and noble(do they have those anymore?)

Yeah, I can find all about our truth in lending laws. Turns out we've been getting crap loans from the mortgage industry for decades. Even before banks started ripping us off, lenders were making the case for regulations and not the kind you do yourself.

keep renting till you figure it out.

Don't have to rent because I'm a homeowner. Just got my property tax reassessment in the mail last month. Doesn't look like we were too affected by the subprime market. Not sure exactly why but our values didn't skyrocket yet they didn't tank. It's as if values are unaffected. That would indicate a low or normal rate of foreclosure for the area.

Dudes right, you really are a prick.

if an a.r.m with no money down and a big balloon seems attractive keep reading and renting till this bout of lunacy passes

That might apply to some who have yet to personally experience lending fraud.

I'm afraid your major shortcoming is a life sentence.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
"the world according to dagmatic"

keeps me from being a "victim" of the banks..
keeps me debt free and happy as shit.
keeps me working for me right here from home now.

shit yea i got a life sentence.
a good life sentence.

obviously since your little story of the loan you "got screwed on" which "wasn't any different than I would have ultimately chosen" (some people choose to get screwed i guess?)i realize you are a homeowner..

the latter part was not directed at you personally..
sorry you got confused.

is that fool's gold or fools gold?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Elvis has left the idealogical morass....

Elvis has left the idealogical morass....

WTF ! We support and probably caused a lot of the "arab spring uprisings" . Now are citizens are protesting , and we round up 700 of em and arrest them when they are protesting non-violently? ? Are they all going to be investigated by the NYPD now, like the Muslims?

I read about NYPD surveillance on Muslims. It's just like the electronic data mining. They look at everything and hope to find a point of interest before it surprises em. Leo is even following Muslims to religious services and the grocer. Subversive activity not required.

The article touched on NYC being a incubator for tactics that work. Ineffective tactics are weeded out. The idea was that other cities are benefiting from technology as well as the honed applications of NYPD.

I mentioned the same article in another thread, prior to the WS protest. The reporter mentioned that tactics initially ok'd by lawmakers are ultimately turned on drug dealers.

NYPD didn't just hoard a bunch of unsuspecting protesters into mass arrest. They're taking notes and seeing what works and what might work better.

I

In~Plain~Site

I don't need to cite anyone's requiem to come to my own conclusions.

What fun would it be if we all had the same perspective.Life's been good to me so far.

Kind of disheartening to know some Americans feel like they're locked out.Me, I just want to smash through doors.

I'm not a sucker so I don't need a bodyguard

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
... I'm not a sucker so I don't need a bodyguard

Yep, you'll ambush a head shot. Thata boy! Onward through the fog.

Lol, Ron Paul's been saying that for decades (while y'all deny it.) No wonder he only gets 1% of the vote. Hell, even Nader kicked that 3 and 4x respectively (AND HE'S EVEN OLDER THAN RON.) :biglaugh:

I

In~Plain~Site

Maybe he stole it from Rob Base as well ;)

Yep, you'll ambush a head shot. Thata boy! Onward through the fog.

Lol, Ron Paul's been saying that for decades (while y'all deny it.) No wonder he only gets 1% of the vote. Hell, even Nader kicked that 3 and 4x respectively (AND HE'S EVEN OLDER THAN RON.) :biglaugh:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Occupy Wall Street is a tea party with brains

Occupy Wall Street is a tea party with brains

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oc...tea-party-with-brains-2011-10-04?pagenumber=2

By David Weidner, MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — The revolution just might be televised, after all.

More than two weeks after a band of young people began camping out in the shadow of the New York Stock Exchange, the movement to remake America’s inequitable financial system is growing

It’s been called the Woodstock of Wall Street, but that’s hardly an apt comparison. The gathering at Max Yasgur’s farm 42 years ago was built on a generation looking for peace, love, some drugs and acid rock. The kids today are looking for real, tangible change of the capitalist sort. They’re organized, lucid and motivated.

Actually, they have more in common with the tea-party movement than the hippie dream, with one key difference: They’re smart enough to recognize the nation’s problems aren’t simply about taxes and the deficit.

They want jobs. They want the generation in power to acknowledge them. They want political change. They want responsibility in a culture that abdicates it. They want a decent future of opportunity.

If that isn’t American, then what is?

Another key difference between today’s kids and their hippie forefathers: They’re willing to gut it out.

Not only is Occupy Wall Street showing no signs of dying out, but it’s getting stronger. On Sunday, a night of rain dampened the crowd at Zuccotti Park, but then the sun broke through, and they were back at it: challenging police, marching and drawing attention to their cause.

They’re wired and ready. They’re using YouTube and blogs. A newspaper, the Occupied Wall Street Journal, began publishing last week. They meet in the evenings in a “general assembly” to discuss tactics.

Moreover, there are signs the Left Coast wants to get into the action. On Sunday a group called Refund California announced a series of protests throughout Los Angeles. On Monday, a teach-in took place aimed at bringing awareness to how Wall Street has worsened California’s budget problems.

On Tuesday, Refund California is going to Orange County for a protest. On Wednesday, the group will target the home of a bank executive. And on Thursday a big bank in L.A. will be the next target. Protests in Chicago this weekend showed the message isn’t lost in flyover country.

This isn’t just some anarchist or lefty agitating. Many of the protesters are furious with the Obama administration’s kow-towing to Big Finance. They’re critical of Federal Reserve policies. Refund California is aligned with 1,000 faith-based groups.

Protesters are admonished for displaying the U.S. flag incorrectly. These protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful. And, despite what you hear, there’s been a lot of goodwill between the police and protesters. They’re sharing coffee and doughnuts in the morning.

Meanwhile, another group, Occupy Los Angeles, is organizing its own protests. This movement, though small compared with the New York effort, is slowly gathering steam. Back East, Occupy Boston is gaining momentum. Protests in the financial center of Dewey Square took place Monday.

The persistence is paying off. The media are beginning to pay attention. Local papers in New York have been running more Occupy Wall Street stories. All of the major networks are covering the protests now.

There are many more reporters on the scene, and the coverage has moved from the police confrontations to what these thousands of protesters want.

The press seems confused. There were signs about Afghanistan, taxes, Wall Street greed, corporate responsibility and just about every pet cause out there. But what some decry as a lack of focus is really about them not getting it: This movement is about money. It’s about wasting money. It’s about greed for money guiding those in power. It’s about the inequitable distribution of money.

Most of all, it’s about process. In a “general assembly” meeting Saturday, Occupy Wall Street came up with its first official document. It is a powerful summation of grievances, not just of the young, but of many Americans: home foreclosures, workers rights, Internet privacy, health care and bailouts. Read the declaration of Occupy Wall Street .

“No true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power,” the declaration states. “We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.”

The protesters urge others to join them in public spaces everywhere.

Occupy Wall Street is a bigger and more important movement than it was two weeks ago. As the country faces a year in which many of its major political offices could potentially shift hands, there finally seems to be a movement that reflects frustration with a system beholden to big financial interests.

Still, there’s much work to do. The movement needs to sharpen its message. It needs visible and well-spoken leadership and people to become active politically. Some have argued that the protesters need more concrete ideas, such as financial-transaction taxes or Wall Street reforms. Blanket anti-corporate statements aren’t actionable.

But for a generation accused of being lazy, unwilling to work and living under their parents’ roofs for far too long, these kids have shown a hell of a lot of mettle so far. The odds are still long, but they’ve succeeded in the first step.

They’ve gotten our attention.

David Weidner covers Wall Street for MarketWatch.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
Heading to NYC tomorrow to witness this first hand. If you see a guy getting Rodney King'd by NYPD, you'll know who it is :)

BUMP!

Islandbud

Wall Street is solely responsible for the world financial meltdown and the parties responsible should be jailed for it.

Enough of the greed politics !!!

:tiphat:

avatopaz

if I were out east I'd participate in the protest, I feel badly that Wall Street, JP Morgan Chase are buying off the NYPD. Police departments were formed from the very beginning to protect the rich from the poor, why would it be any different today?

Look it up
It is happening NOW!
Spread the word and talk about..
Dont let this get drown out by pages of trolling
Maybe A new Thread Just for protester support info

http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/
https://www.democracynow.org/

From http://occupywallst.org/
Mail
The UPS Store
Re: Occupy Wall Street
118A Fulton St. #205
New York, NY 10038
Money orders only please, cannot cash checks yet. Non-perishable goods only. We can accept packages of any size. We're currently low on food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts