What's new

Obama says legalization is "not part of my job strategy"

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
But i didn't have the same POTENTIAL to run over an old lady today as a DUI driver (this is supported by facts gathered over the years).

That was my point, it's the mere fact that a DUI driver has a greater potential to harm someone then someone who is sober, so just that potential alone is the crime.

So you enjoy living in a fantasy land where "what could have happened" actually means more than "what actually did happen"? If a drunk driver kills someone then by all means throw the book at them. Their actions did affect someone else and should be punished accordingly. But punishing someone for the mere possibility of something happening, particularly when different people are affected very differently, is akin to prosecuting thought crimes. And that's ignoring that statistically the HUGE majority of drunk driving accidents happen at much higher BAC levels than at or around the wholly arbitrary .08 level.

Gotta love reading someone trying to justify a "potential" as a crime, particularly in a supposedly free country.

B

Blue Dot

Gotta love reading someone trying to justify a "potential" as a crime, particularly in a supposedly free country.

Gotta love reading someone trying to justify drunk driving.

So altering your mental capacity (proven) and piloting a 2000 lb weapon and surrounding yourself by 100's of sober drivers who can't react to your non logical driving movements is justifable?

What else is justifiable in your book?

Let me guess, anything that suits YOUR needs at the time, right?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Today, 08:12 AM
Blue Dot
This message is hidden because Blue Dot is on your ignore list

The ignore feature is there for a reason people. Don't be a special olympics winner.

Koroz

So wait, are you guys trying to argue that Alcohol doesn't impair your driving abilities? As someone who has lived with Alcoholics, and Alcoholism myself I can tell you that you are full of fucking shit.

I laugh when people say "OMg I drive FINE while Im drunk!" Most of the time they are the biggest alcoholics of them all and can barely fucking walk when they are saying it. Ive lost a brother to drunk driving (his own doing), also a GF, Best friend all in one accident, the bottom line is you shouldn't be driving under ANY influence. There is a reason when my dad would get pissed ass drunk, or my cousin would have a few beers I take away their keys, its because they can't make the fucking correct decision to NOT put other peoples lives in danger.

I don't care if you are fucking talking on the cell, doing your makeup, drinking, smoking pot, or eating. Let's not be ridiculous just because BD is a cop.

J

JackTheGrower

I don't read blue dot much anymore..

Not since most of that persons posts are trolling other people.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Gotta love reading someone trying to justify drunk driving.

Drunk driving is a victimless crime. Now crashing into someone after drinking to the point of intoxication is a different crime altogether. Lots of people do stupid shit that doesn't harm anyone, yet they don't end up in jail.

So altering your mental capacity (proven) and piloting a 2000 lb weapon and surrounding yourself by 100's of sober drivers who can't react to your non logical driving movements is justifable?

Altering your mental capacity through alcohol can vary greatly from one person to another. That's the main bullshit behind DWI laws. One physical standard applied for a large, diverse group that responds differently, both mentally and physiologically. .08 could be a mild, but not dangerous, buzz for one person. .05 could be stupid drunk and dangerous for another. But in many places, the .08 goes to jail and the .05 goes on his way. Again, hit someone or cause property damage and then you've committed a real crime with a real victim, not "fantasy victims" that "might have" been hurt "if" something "did happen". Funny how courtrooms are the only place where "could have happened" actually means anything. Nowhere else in the real world does it matter.

What else is justifiable in your book?

Let me guess, anything that suits YOUR needs at the time, right?

A lot of stuff is justifiable in my book. Particularly "victimless crimes" like drug use, prostitution, or buzzed driving. It's when you harm someone else that you are then responsible for your actions. No victim, no crime. But I'm well aware that victimless crimes are huge revenue generators for the state, the courts, the PDs, and the prosecutors offices and therefore will not be changed. There's no "justice" being served. Just another way to rob the citizens under force of government.

Would you arrest someone for assault and battery if they punched themselves? Think about it.

Anyway, can we get back to the topic of Obama laughing at legalization please?

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
"Victimless crime" is what he should have said.

Shoplifting, embezzelment, fraud, DUI are all "non-violent crimes". Should we legalize all those? IMO, probably not.

I think it's better to refer to 'consensual crimes'. The propagandists have effectively neutralized 'victimless' by casting marginal people in the lives of those who engage in consensual crimes as victims. EG the poor parents who worry so when Jr smokes a joint, or the person who dies in a car wreck caused by impaired driving.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
The poor guy obviously had mike fright. I'll bet dollars to dirt he had a well thought out question and froze up when he faced the mike.

danut

Hey!! If you believe the logic, then LEO should not be allowed to have guns because sometimes they shoot the wrong person!

2000 lb weapon!! How about that 9mm weapon that has only one purpose .. to shoot people.

Common Blue Dot!! Let's talk about the POTENTIAL of stupid actions leading to the death of an innocent citizen.

Yep .. it's only fair to talk about when you are thinking about how to limit citizens. But not if the topic is government.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I posted this before. Just going to throw it up there up there again. I'm trolling. Delete if need be.

225px-Mao_Zedong_portrait.jpg

Koroz

Hey!! If you believe the logic, then LEO should not be allowed to have guns because sometimes they shoot the wrong person!

2000 lb weapon!! How about that 9mm weapon that has only one purpose .. to shoot people.

Common Blue Dot!! Let's talk about the POTENTIAL of stupid actions leading to the death of an innocent citizen.

Yep .. it's only fair to talk about when you are thinking about how to limit citizens. But not if the topic is government.

Do you really believe that a drunk driver should be allowed to traverse our highways unchecked? Honestly?

A

Amstel Light

LOADED question!!!the real question should have been something like "what do you propose about the #### of med.patients being arrested daily" or "in our current financial situation how does the US justify spending #$$$## on arresting, prosecuting and incarcerating ### of non violent MJ offenders"......

"PROLLY A YOUNG REPUBLICAN" instructed to dilute the real issue with other more controversial subjects..... of course he had to say no....like me asking if he believes in freedom of religion and sacrificial cannibalism?!!!

danut

Do you really believe that a drunk driver should be allowed to traverse our highways unchecked? Honestly?
I don't promote drunk driving.

Do you really promote putting everyone that MIGHT hurt someone in jail?

If the consumption results in illegal activity, then arrest them.
ie: can't keep the car in the right lane .. etc.
If someone drives recklessly, then get them off the roads.

Just putting someone in jail for what they MIGHT do is very very wrong.

An officer MIGHT shoot the wrong person someday. Should all armed officers be put in jail?

Koroz

I don't promote drunk driving.

Do you really promote putting everyone that MIGHT hurt someone in jail?

If the consumption results in illegal activity, then arrest them.
ie: can't keep the car in the right lane .. etc.
If someone drives recklessly, then get them off the roads.

Just putting someone in jail for what they MIGHT do is very very wrong.

An officer MIGHT shoot the wrong person someday. Should all armed officers be put in jail?

No, but there is a difference. An officer isn't CHOOSING to put himself or others in harms way, he is reacting to the situation and accidents happen. He is there trying to protect the people. There is always going to be bad apples in this scenario of course as there is with any, but I tend to think that most officers do the job to try and make a difference for the better in their communities.

The drinker is CHOOSING to put himself in a car, and put others lives at risk because of his own ignorance to the fact he could pay 20 bucks for a cab, or calling someone for a ride home. They are not looking out for anyone but themselves. They are trying to save money on a cab, or have some self importance that they think alcohol won't affect them or their ability to drive.

The truth is, nothing you say or do will change the fact that people who get behind a wheel after being over the limit is putting themselves and others at risk for no other reason then pure selfishness. There is a whole lot of other choices besides getting behind the wheel available in every city/town.

I am sure I will get the typical "OMG RHETORIC AND LIES!@#!?" response that a lot of you like to give.. but here is some statistics for you.

• Drivers with a BAC of .08 or higher who are involved in fatal crashes are eight times more likely to have a prior DUI conviction than drivers who consumed no alcohol.
  • Drunk driving accidents cost the public around $114.3 billion a year.
  • Approximately 17% of drunk drivers injured in car accidents are charged and convicted, 11% are charged and not convicted, and 72% are never charged.
  • 38% of all Christmas-time car accident deaths and 54 % of all New Year's car accident deaths are alcohol-related.
  • In the United States, drunk driving is the leading criminal cause of death.

What this tells me, and has been proven in my personal first hand experience both with myself and family members, we should take drunk driving very seriously. If you are one of those ignorant people who think "drunk driving" is cool, or safe, then please for the love of god I hope when you do kill someone, because it will happen eventually, you only end up killing yourself.

danut

No, but there is a difference. An officer isn't CHOOSING to put himself or others in harms way, he is reacting to the situation and accidents happen.
The officer chooses to goto work armed. The drunk driver chooses to drive that way.

The 2000 pound weapon and the 9mm weapon.

Just having the weapon does not justify putting anyone in jail.

The real problem is someone trying to justify a crash with the claim of being out of control from a drug.

The drug does not change the very real crash.

Officers MIGHT face charges if they fire their weapon incorrectly. Simply saying they might cause harm, by having a weapon on their person, would be poor excuse to put them in jail.

C

cork144

what dont people get that he isnt the one making the choices, the elite behind him are.

to become the pres of the US you have to be clicky with the elite you know,,,

anyone who drinks and drives is a fucking retard and belongs in jail...
drunk driving should be a felony for first offence..NO EXCEPTIONS
i live in wisconsin and drunk driving is like a part of life here...its fucked up
we got some of the most lax drunk driving laws in the nation...
and my town happens to have the most bars per capita.