What's new

Obama drug czar: We will go after marijuana distributors in Wash. and Colo.

SmokinErb

In an interview with Canadian news magazine Maclean’s last week, Gil Kerlikowske, President Obama’s Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, stated that despite recreational legalization in Washington and Colorado, they would still go after distributors and growers in both states.
"You’ll continue to see enforcement against distributors and large-scale growers as the Justice Department has outlined. They will use their limited resources on those groups and not on going after individual users," said Kerlikowske, who is also a former Seattle Police Chief.

In an interview with ABC News, soon after the November legalizations in Washington and Colorado, President Obama said, "We've got bigger fish to fry. It would not make sense for us to see a top priority as going after recreational users in states that have determined that it’s legal."

It is likely President Obama chose his words carefully by only mentioning individual users and not distributors or growers, despite many being led to believe there would be no federal interference at all within the two states.

Back when running for president in 2008, Barack Obama stated that medical marijuana was an issue for state governments, not the federal government. "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue," he said, promising to end raids on medical marijuana dispensaries seen under the Bush Administration. Many soon learned his real intentions when the DEA raided four times as many marijuana dispensaries as Bush, in half the time.

Just last month Washington's newly-elected governor Jay Inslee met with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to discuss Washington's new legislation legalizing marijuana. Without going into any detail over what Holder actually said, Inslee said he was "encouraged" from what he heard.

Inslee also said he "thinks (Holder) is going to give us an opportunity to make our case to allow us to express and give effect to the voters’ will," leading many to question why no solid statements on Holder's position were given.

At this time no mention has been made over whether the federal government will be going against all distributors and growers, or just those who aren't going through the proper channels under Washington state law to do so.

Also this month, Washington State Rep. Matt Shea (R) introduced legislation to permit the development of an industrial hemp industry within state. Whether or not the federal government will attempt to derail this remains to be seen.

"The constant contradictions coming out of this administration lead to a massive amount of uncertainty, but the bottom line is, according to the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, anything made and sold that stays within the state of Washington is beyond their jurisdiction. Also there are states' rights under the 10th Amendment," noted Rep. Shea.

At this time, it appears both Colorado and Washington will move forward with the legalization process. Washington state is currently accepting applications for newly created pot consultant positions with the Washington State Liquor Control Board.

http://www.examiner.com/article/oba...-after-marijuana-distributors-wash-and-colo-1

TheArchitect

Veteran
Anyone who believed Obama would be anything other than a status quo tool, particularly to marijuana, is an idiot

SmokinErb

Don't particularly know how much credibility the examiner has, but I saw this today and figured I'd share with the community.

Sounds like they're planning another crackdown on dispensaries and suppliers, though.

budlover123

I think it weird this is the first public comment about going after WA and CO recreational marijuana businesses, and its in a Canadian magazine. What's that about? I think they are afraid of people pushing for reform of the Controlled Substances act in America, which should be the next step I think.

Even cocaine is now a "schedule 2" drug, making the legal penalties less for coke than weed. Weed shouldn't even be on that list of controlled substances. (there's an excerpt in my signature, the full thing is on wikipedia)

Bongstar420

It has got to be some sort of posturing if it is true. How would those resources employed in the prosecutions retain any long term value against inevitable full out legalization everywhere? It isnt gonna take more than 10 years for half of it to happen.

castout

Veteran
I love the way they say "large scale growers", when what they really mean is any grower. Everytime I see a grow busted, in the paper, or on the news, they say how sophisticated the grow is, then post the numbers, or the good ole' "street value". When the average non-grower Joe Citizen, reads that 40 plants have a street value of close to a million dollars, the perception now becomes that this is a large scale grow. Then, when average non-grower Joe Citizen gets picked to be on the jury, that will judge the grower, that had 40 plants, with a street value of 1 million. It is a done deal, the GOVT controlled media has already tainted non-grower Joe Citizen's mind, and they do not see the Mom and Pop sitting in the defendants chairs, trying desperately to avoid jail time.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
If enough Jury Nullification happens they'll have to give up.
The tide is turning in many states you could not find 12 people who would convict anyone who is just growing it for themselves.
Do your Jury Duty and when picked to be on a jury if it's a herb case it can be nullified.

Humility

Great to hear people talking about Jury nullification. I just recently had a case dismissed from court but last year was called to the Jury and picked to serve and made it halfway through before being thrown off for being "potentially biased" due to having been arrested.

If they can arrest anyone they want and make up and probable cause and write any arrest report they want, full of lies if they choose, and not even find you guilty in a trial before they take away a right like your ability to serve on a jury, what does that say about the impartiality of "the courts" and the amount of "justice" in America?

Jury nullification is one of our most important tools in our inevitable walk towards freedom. When called for a jury - REPORT. If it's a violent crime, try to judge the facts as carefully as possible and convict if you must. If however it is a non-violent crime involving some trumped up resisting arrest or disorderly conduct charge, or a drug charge, whether it be cannabis or any other drug - find the defendant NOT GUILTY. If they didn't commit violence against someone else, you must acquit!

Jhhnn

Veteran
I love the way they say "large scale growers", when what they really mean is any grower. Everytime I see a grow busted, in the paper, or on the news, they say how sophisticated the grow is, then post the numbers, or the good ole' "street value". When the average non-grower Joe Citizen, reads that 40 plants have a street value of close to a million dollars, the perception now becomes that this is a large scale grow. Then, when average non-grower Joe Citizen gets picked to be on the jury, that will judge the grower, that had 40 plants, with a street value of 1 million. It is a done deal, the GOVT controlled media has already tainted non-grower Joe Citizen's mind, and they do not see the Mom and Pop sitting in the defendants chairs, trying desperately to avoid jail time.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. It seems unlikely to me that the Feds will bother home gardeners who stay within Colorado law. And it's not as if they've come down heavily on Colorado's MMJ growers, either. There are at least 2 sizeable grows near my workplace, in a rundown warehouse district, judging from the reek of Skunkweed when they vent. You can smell it for blocks.

Hell- there are probably illegal grows using the MMJ guys for cover...

M

MrSterling

Castout, almost every one of those smaller grows you read about in the paper or see on the news is a state prosecution and has nothing to do with the FEDs, who in the real world don't have the time or resources to go after mom and pop growers. That 100 plant mark people always talk about isn't a federal line in the sand though like people make it out to be - the feds could prosecute you for one plant if they had some reason to, but they don't and they won't. Time and money.

edelweiß

i hope that everybody sees irony and truth, such as hope and respect

the good thing about having to fight for your right such like the growing and selling of a natural herb
consumed and growen by natural people is that it sooner or later it may keep us off from throwing nuclear bombs
on hiroshima and nagasaki to kill a few millions instead or to make a "quick" war against vietnam
or similar to keep the reins of economy under control.

a perfect solution, herbs against war, it really might work
we all just have to become stoners!!!!!!!!

suffix:

we dont even all have to become stoners, that does not matter i mean
we just have to be aware of what we need and not to walk paths which are given
taken them as granted and start believing again, to feel free and bound simultaneously
once we learned how to drive earth as our planet and humans as our friends and animals as our Coalition

we will be free, as free as we can be with all our responsibility

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally I think some young computer savvy person will find all these peoples contact information and publish All OF IT ON THE INTERNET.

That'll keep em busy with other things for awhile

Agaricus

This certainly isn't unexpected. The feds aren't going to let go of their unconstitutional powers without a fight.

The medical marijuana case of Gonzalez v. Raich, which upheld the feds' right to regulate what was a local matter, is a case in point. Three justices dissented from the majority opinion which upheld the federal position.

From an article by Clayton Cramer in "Shotgun News."

"Justices O'Connor, Thomas, and Rehnquist wrote dissenting opinions, of which Justice Thomas's opening paragraph really captures the absurdity of this reading of the commerce clause: 'Respondents Diane Monson and Angel Raich use marijuana that has never been bought or sold, that has never crossed state lines, and that has had no demonstrable effect on the national market for marijuana. If Congress can regulate this under the Commerce Clause, then it can regulate virtually anything--and the Federal Government is no longer one of limited and enumerated powers.'"

The hell of it is that with what should be local powers are migrating to a central government, and the powers of that central government are now migrating to a world government, i.e. the Untied Nations pushing treaty obligations to try forcing the U.S. government to do their bidding, with no room for national autonomy.

Do I hear the phrase "New World Order?" I admit to wearing a tinfoil hat now and then but this sure is starting to look like a conspiracy.:hide:

Latest posts

Latest posts