What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Obama doubles down on his comments about marijuana saying his main concern is the cri

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Obama doubles down on his comments about marijuana saying his main concern is the criminalization of pot use as opposed to the health risks

Obama has once again argued that marijuana is just as dangerous as alcohol even after his own drug enforcement czar blasted the claims.
'I stand by my belief based on the scientific evidence that marijuana for casual users, individual users, is subject to abuse, just like alcohol is and should be treated as a public health problem and challenge,' he said during an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper.
He went on to stipulate that his motivation in speaking out on the topic isn’t so much focused on the health risks but more about the legal inequalities that come in handing down sentences for drug-related crimes.

article-2549845-1B1CBCCE00000578-99_634x346.jpg
icon_camera_90x68.png
+3

Sticking to his guns: President Obama said that he thinks the criminal sentences for marijuana do not match up to the severity of the drug and that should be fixed within the legal system

Obama talks legalization of marijuana on CNN

'My concern is when you end up having very heavy criminal penalties for individual users that have been applied unevenly and, in some cases, with a racial disparity. I think that is a problem.
‘Over the long term, what I believe that if we can deal with some of the criminal penalty issues, then we can really tackle what is a problem not just for marijuana, but also alcohol, also cigarettes, also harder drugs and that is to see that our kids don't get into these habits in the first place.
‘The incarceration model that we have taken- particularly around marijuana- does not seem to produce the kind of goals that we've set.

'I think that is a problem. We're going to see what happens in the experiments in Colorado and Washington. The Department of Justice under Eric Holder has said that we are going to continue to enforce federal laws.

article-2549845-1B1CBCE000000578-197_634x412.jpg

Parsing the issue: He is still wary of wide-spread legalization because that could lead to increased marketing and promotion of the drug, and he views it should be viewed like similar 'vices' like alcohol and cigarettes

'I think they have to ask themselves some tough questions, too. Because if we start having a situation where big corporations with lots of resources and distribution and marketing arms are suddenly going out there, peddling marijuana, then the levels of abuse that may take place are going to be higher,' he said.
Mr Obama has been open in his admissions about his own prior drug use, as he first described his frequent dabbles with the drug in high school in his memoir that was released when he was a Senator.
The issue has come up again in recent weeks following an interview he gave to New Yorker editor David Remnick wherein he said that the drug is not as dangerous as it has been perceived and the laws surrounding it deserve to be revisited.

article-2542343-1ACFB0FF00000578-910_634x422.jpg
icon_camera_90x68.png
+3

The future: American opinion seems to be falling in line with Mr Obama following the recent legalization of recreational marijuana in Colorado and Washington State. Above, a legal Denver dispensary

'As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don’t think it is more dangerous,' Mr Obama said in the New Yorker interview.
'Middle-class kids don’t get locked up for smoking pot, and poor kids do,' he said. 'And African-American kids and Latino kids are more likely to be poor and less likely to have the resources and the support to avoid unduly harsh penalties.'
'We should not be locking up kids or individual users for long stretches of jail time when some of the folks who are writing those laws have probably done the same thing,' Mr Obama added

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inalization-pot-use-opposed-health-risks.html

S

Spider Crab

I don't live in the US and don't know much about what goes on, but Obama does seem to have a much more level head than 'nutcases' like George W.

sprinkl

Veteran
I don't live in the US and don't know much about what goes on, but Obama does seem to have a much more level head than 'nutcases' like George W.

Towards the outside, yeah. On the inside he's part of the same gang of gangsters, he's just trying to stay in power longer by being a two-faced cocksucker even more than GW Bush was. The only reason he's pushing towards legalization is because his corporate buddies are ready with a battery of patents to make more money of weed than ever before. Mexican cannabis business just isn't as profitable as it once was, or as it could be.

MIway

Veteran
Towards the outside, yeah. On the inside he's part of the same gang of gangsters, he's just trying to stay in power longer by being a two-faced cocksucker even more than GW Bush was. The only reason he's pushing towards legalization is because his corporate buddies are ready with a battery of patents to make more money of weed than ever before. Mexican cannabis business just isn't as profitable as it once was, or as it could be.

totally he's spineless, amongst other criticisms. but whichever people have been writing his speeches & determining what position he should poster for are correct about the alternative motivations/effects of our drug policies. the crack vs powder cocaine (disparity in terms & groups of peoples) has destroyed families & filled our jails much more than pot. the arguments in this speech is directly from that decades old cause. like any politician (except an ostricicized one or two, here & there) has done anything about it... obama dropped his rhetoric on the topic once presidency became a possibility... even though it should be a particular concern for him (personally), as it affects african americans so specifically. if he had conviction & heart, then the balls grow big too... and he has none of those. whatever, more rhetoric. he even struts around with attitude, just like gwb did... so pleased with himself, drunk on perceived power. its all gone to his head. actions, not words... judge em all i say... bring back the guillotine, let there be accountability.

bigAl25

Veteran
If you think for a second that Mitt would have been better for the US than Obama then I have lost all hope for our country. Our education system, your parents, and your efforts to enlighten yourself and give a shit about the hungry and poor have failed. I voted for him twice and I am proud to have done so. No president as ever brought up the racist aspect of our drug laws before, he has. That is why Europe and others think better of Obama than the Tea Party/Republican selfish pricks that they are. Man this is a growers/smokers forum and I go on a political rant. Sorry. But, Fuck it we elected the first black man president, and I am proud of our nation for doing so. Hell next we may elect our first woman president and I'll be proud we did that. Fuck old selfish white men, and I am one of them, although I'm not as selfish as I age.

S

Spider Crab

I think some people forget, politics is exactly that POLITICS........

Of course there is a mountain of 'spin', it's the nature of the beast. It is unavoidable.

Whether i agree with him on his ideals is irrelevant, i don't think he is a superhero, or even a hero, i just like the way he carries himself much better than imbeciles like George W.....

I don't expect cannabis legalization to come from the Federal level. I think the legalization movement will be done at the state level and that Obama's comments are intended to enhance the mood of state level efforts more than any indication that he will attempt to change how cannabis is scheduled.

kushnpurps

It is bait for something bigger. Have us all put our names on a list. Every dispensary, forum and so on. All of us committing federal crimes. Just another reason to come and arrest as many of us as possible when the sh*t hits the fan.

hotrodlincoln

I was raised on punk rock and I believe that I am, consequently, political at heart. That being said, it doesn't matter if the POTUS is a republican or democrat, the POTUS is paid for by the people who sand to make the most money. This is a slight over generalization, but for Bush it was oil, for Obama, it was health care.

Now, I agree with probably all of you that marijuana is no more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes. In all honesty, it's even less so... But that is not the view held by a lot of people and a great deal of people still think of weed as a harmful substance.

Obama is a puppet and is no better, or worse, than Bush.

They are just two different sides of the same coin.

bubbs75

It is all a setup for the next election cycle. Obama does not want to go and reschedule because then the Dems are losing a major piece in their game come next elections. He is also tossing out a softball for all future dems that want to jump on the train and pull in votes for cannabis legislation, at the same time tossing a curve ball to the repubs. They can get on board and TRY to get some votes from it, but also chance losing out on their bible belt god fearing old people vote. It is almost a win win for dems and a 50/50 split at best for repubs. That is how i see it anyway.

I expect within 5-10 years it will be legal almost to the point of booze. It probably could be done almost over night but then the political bargaining chip is lost and the big corps that have every politicians pocket lined will lose out on the jump off of the new canna business. Lets also not forget banks. They want to get in on this too and will probably have it all ironed out neatly before there is a change on the fed level. It is coming, we just have to stand strong and make sure we all push for personal growing options in any law, state or federal. The last thing we want is for all medical, or for big corps to have the upper hand on mom and pops (which I personally feel will be hard for them to pull off, given how the black market has already made AA+ the only real desirable products).

I think a lot of this talk going on now about it is just to soften the impact, so to speak. They know a lot of people are scared of "drugs" (lol) and the dems in particular want to set up cannabis as a great vote getting political chip. Starting now will get the ball rolling and garner a lot of future votes, not to mention soften peoples views on it by election time.

S

supreme bean

If politicians put people before profits,the world would be a decent.Its about protecting the pharma companies:moon:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
big pharma controls the FDA and is not about to let us have access to safe and cheap medicine...Obama is the shill for big pharma in this game.

notice the prez saying this "experiment" in Washington and Colorado will determine policy. he already knows it won't happen during his tenure, so he can be as coy as he wishes.

S

supreme bean

Compared to the UK ,at least something is happening in the US.I cant imagine Bush doing shit.
So from a European point of view ,Obama seems OK.Its not like he has total controll.
Hes a puppet pandering to the perceived opion of the masses.
We are still the minority.The Masses have been brain-washed for a long time.If he went all out for pot he wouldnt last five minutes in office.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
big pharma controls the FDA and is not about to let us have access to safe and cheap medicine...Obama is the shill for big pharma in this game.

notice the prez saying this "experiment" in Washington and Colorado will determine policy. he already knows it won't happen during his tenure, so he can be as coy as he wishes.
isn't it though? I know my state and all the others are watching to see what happens what the statistics will be arrest numbers and tax revenue...is there an increase in high school kids be turned to cannabis etc etc I know numbers probably show kids smoke less not my point my point is it is basically an experiment and everybodys watching and waiting to see how it turns out.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Was talking to a friend in CO not too long ago and he mentioned that since the passage of the law there was on average 900 less marijuana convictions per month. (I hope I remembered those numbers correctly).

Latest posts

Latest posts