What's new

Obama administration signals change from prison to treatment in drug war

Treetops

Lets all hope this is the beginning of the end of all the holdups in this regard....

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/25/obama-administration-signals-change-from-prison-to-treatment-in-drug-war/

White House Drug Czar Gil Kerlikowske signaled that the Obama administration may be open to a long-overdue shift from law enforcement to addiction treatment in a release of a new policy proposal on the so-called “war on drugs.”

“We’ve relied far too long on the criminal justice system,” the director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy said at a press conference covered by the Baltimore Sun, touting the success of increasingly popular “drug courts,” which emphasize treatment and rehabilitation over prison time.

Kerlikowske, who worked in law enforcement for 37 years, pointed out that his own thinking on drug policy has evolved. ”I couldn’t figure out why they didn’t change,” he said of drug abusers, according to the Sun. “I really didn’t have the understanding that science brings.”

In the report, the White House wrote, “While law enforcement will always play a vital role in protecting our communities from drug-related crime and violence, we simply cannot incarcerate our way out of the drug problem. Put simply, an enforcement-centric “war on drugs” approach to drug policy is counterproductive, inefficient, and costly.”

“Through a new rule made possible by the Affordable Care Act,” the report continued, “insurers will now be required to cover treatment for substance use disorders just as they would for any other chronic disease. Specifically, this new rule expands mental health and substance use disorder benefits and Federal parity protections for 62 million Americans, making it a key element in the Administration’s public health approach to drug policy in the United States.”

Still, Kerlikowske stopped short endorsing legalization, telling The Root, “We know that from a public health approach, legalizing drugs, thereby making them much more easily and widely available, would not be a very wise policy. But we also don’t think that people — particularly those that are possessing small amounts of marijuana — that having an arrest record, that being put into the system, is particularly helpful either.”

This leaves Colorado and Washington, states that took it upon themselves to fully legalize marijuana on the ballot in November, in murky territory. Kerlikowske, who once served as police chief in Seattle, said in a speech last week in Washington, D.C., “No state, no executive, can nullify a statute that’s been passed by Congress.”

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
This leaves Colorado and Washington, states that took it upon themselves to fully legalize marijuana on the ballot in November, in murky territory.

What murky territory?

Can someone explain this comment to me?

The only employers in Colorado that care about drug testing are... most national chains/corps/franchises/banks and high risk industries where ignorance still prevails.

The locals, that are not ignorant about cannabis, don't care. Your work sucks, you get fired. No one cares WHY your work sucks.

So... the addiction treatment folks will be hiring a lot of ex-DEA/Cops/Jailers that are gonna go on unemployment because of this de-focus?? You'll be able to scream "Addiction" and get insurance covered treatment now?

The only good thing I see is the focus being taken away from criminal penalties.

The end is in sight, yes! Celebratory national party in 10 years everyone? :woohoo: LOL

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Someone needs to check Mr. Kerlikowske's pants to see if they're on fire. Just saying the war on drugs is over doesn't mean that it is. You can't end the drug war and still keep arresting people. Or forcing them into rehab, where if they relapse they go to jail. This is just the same thing the current administration has been saying for a few years now. Yet each year, more and more money is going to enforcement. If you look beyond the talk, this is the exact the same drug control strategy we've had for many years and many administrations. Not to mention that they still haven't said anything about the federal response to WA and CO. Nothing to see here, move along.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
hes genius

wow

make everyone have health care and then force them into treatment

i bet he has stock in the medical insurance providers specializing addiction treatment

So instead of imprisoning people, we'll just force them into expensive "treatment" programs to "cure" them of their "addiction".....sounds great!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Someone needs to check Mr. Kerlikowske's pants to see if they're on fire. Just saying the war on drugs is over doesn't mean that it is. You can't end the drug war and still keep arresting people. Or forcing them into rehab, where if they relapse they go to jail. This is just the same thing the current administration has been saying for a few years now. Yet each year, more and more money is going to enforcement. If you look beyond the talk, this is the exact the same drug control strategy we've had for many years and many administrations. Not to mention that they still haven't said anything about the federal response to WA and CO. Nothing to see here, move along.

:yeahthats

you said it

RetroGrow

Veteran
But what of all the folks working in the prison industrial complex?
What will become of them?
Where else will these cretins find work?

mwz

Veteran
Often when I read the comments to something controversial, there's usually a nice balance between the number of people who are 'for' and the number of people who are 'against'.

With pot stories, I look at the comments on major media outlet articles and they are overwhelmingly against prohibition. I see people claiming to be of both political persuasions. I see people who have never tried the drug before. I see a spectrum of people.

So here's the worrying thing. Where the fuck are the people who are pro prohibition? If they are there, they don't seem to want to raise their voice and argue against the masses! Even though it is great to see this dickhead start to take a softer stance.

Personally, I think they know they're fucked. This can't go on forever.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
You'll be able to scream "Addiction" and get insurance covered treatment now?

go ahead scream that and your loose your 2nd amendment rights

just a sec sip sip sip ahhh another drink of Obama koolaid
personal I don't care what this treasonous dictator says or dose he lies they lie

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^we should put them to the flower instead.

some one thought this meant to fertilizer. I meant we should put them to our flower. Make them smoke weed and converse with us. expand their minds. One Peaceful conversion can be more constructive than any war or act of violence in history.

LayedBack

Well I like what was said in this post however just saying that doesn't make it so. BUT I must admit, I do mother fucking like what the guy said and if the government is discussing changing from a prison system to a treatment system then that's amazing because it's exactly what we need. Everyone here is so focused on marijuana but we never seem to discuss how badly effected people with serious drug addictions are when they end up in prison despite being completely non-violent people. Drug addiction is a disease. And the current system is actually lashing out of fucking chronic pain patients to the point where people who are in pain all day every day can't even get their opioid medications because of the opiophobia and all the ignorance and DEA scare tactics against the doctors. We need change and we need it big time. So if they are even just talking about it that makes me pleased, whether it will happen or not in the next decade or two remains to be seen.

I agree that treatment can be helpful to addicts.....when it's voluntary.. But that's not what the Nazis in Chief are talking about. Their thinking is, well we can't imprison these people any more.....but let's just force them into treatment programs! What's the difference between mandatory imprisonment and mandatory "treatment" for your cannabis "addiction"? It's just as fascist and corrupt and wrong. Instead of a for-profit prison industry, we will just greatly expand the for-profit "treatment" industry. The real solution is complete legalization, with voluntary treatment available to whoever wants it.

Latest posts

Latest posts