What's new

o shit i just fried the ac cord connection please help

T

TREE KING

Your having a hard time because your plug is all melted and your useing a drill for a job that should only need a screwdriver, its called a robertson and its an industry standard for electrical shit.

so your saying if i dont use a drill bit and use the screwdriver il be able to get all the screws out?

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
cut the plug. you'll have the same 3 wires, just 2" shorter.

a gfci is a ground fault circuit interrupter. it turns off all power to the unit should it get wet, or the ground shorts out. it keeps you from getting fried/burning down the house should something fail. they are on hair dryers or anything that could come in contact with water. you could swap out your wall outlet with a gfci, and probably should since you won't have it on the plug.

WHAT!! you can still burn with a GFCI they are designed to detect small shorts to protect humans not to protect houses.
you can still overload a circuit with a gfci without tripping it.

T

TREE KING

sorry iampolluted i keep on asking you for step by step instructions on how to do this but your not giving it to me. if the store wasnt closing in an hour i wouldnt care but i cant go another day without my ac. sorry but i gotta run out to home depot right now and see if they can guide me il talk to you when i get back. i appreciate you tryin to help

G

greenmatter

Tree King when you start asking for advice on how to fix a cord and a few pages later people who are trying to help you are talking about smoke detectors and fire extinguishers you might want to back up a step or two and start listening

tribal has been playin hockey since he woke up this morning, but he hasn't said a thing in here that i would disagree with:tiphat:

iampolluted

you're right. you can overload it. some gfci's have surge protection built in tho, and should be used especially in this case.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I can't imagine what the poor people below you will be thinking when there cieling catches on fire and they have to evacuate Lord almighty, shut it down. Is there Children in the building? Holy Fuck!

A

ak-51

1. Go buy one of these:

nema5-15plug.jpg

And a GFCI like this:

trc2010pg3-SingleOutletGFCI.jpg

2. Chop off the burnt plug on your A/C unit.

3. Strip the wires and rig the A/C cord up with the new plug you just bought.

4. Plug the GFCI into your outlet and then plug your new A/C plug into the GFCI.

If you're not comfortable wiring things up then don't do it. Electricity is the most hazardous part of a grow op.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
:noway:
1. Go buy one of these:

View Image

And a GFCI like this:

View Image

2. Chop off the burnt plug on your A/C unit.

3. Strip the wires and rig the A/C cord up with the new plug you just bought.

4. Plug the GFCI into your outlet and then plug your new A/C plug into the GFCI.

If you're not comfortable wiring things up then don't do it. Electricity is the most hazardous part of a grow op.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Not sure if he knows how to strip wires. May want to include that in directions. Or maybe he took the whole ac unit to home depot and asked them to wire it up lol.

Lammy

you should warn the other occupants of the building that is at high risk of catching on fire. they have the right to know.
even places that are correctly wired by electricians sometimes catch on fire.

I'm not sure how much the GFCI is helping you. I would consider hanging a crucifix.

good luck.

the gnome

Veteran
ok guys now im fucked i cant get the last robertson screw out. someone please show me what to do i gotta run back to the store asap. so i just cute the ac cord in half with a razor and then go to the store and tell them to make me a custom cord? are they pretty much just making me an extension cord but one side of it is wires? i need some electrical tape too right?

get a good plug w/ground
wink.gif

to be honest tree,
from what Ive read since my 1st post.
you should find someone with solid electrical exp. you can trust
and let them do it or help you out.

the elec. sounds very dangerous in your grow and add in you really don't understand
how to work with it...
there's going to be a prob soo much bigger than your plug getting fried
thats just a red flag.
a prob that will grab the attention of the fire dept
the cops
then the DA
a judge
and possibly manslaughter charges when its because of you the place catches fire and people die

do you see where this is heading?

Lammy

those are not GFCI on the AC cord. It's an LCDI.
Leak-current detection and interruption (LCDI) plugs
Because portable air conditioners have caused many electrical fires, those sold in the United States now must have leak-current detection and interruption (LCDI) plugs. The cords have a fine wire mesh around the conductors and circuitry to detect any current leaking from the conductors to the mesh, which would happen if the cord were damaged or frayed. These could be NEMA 5–15, 5–20, 6–15, 6–20 or 6–30 plugs, depending on the air conditioner. The plug is equipped with “Test” and “Reset” buttons on the housing.

does that make you rethink any of the advice?

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
so your saying if i dont use a drill bit and use the screwdriver il be able to get all the screws out?

If you had started with the green robby you likely would not have stripped the screws drills are not forgiving tools when it comes to small screws.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Honest man! scale it down to a level where you don't require ac low and slow below the radar, knome is right dont give a gro op another bad name by making this your last one in the free world as you know it, it simply isnt worth it if you choose to move forward you cant say you werent warned or you didn't know.

Its to much for you right now man, electricians are trained for a reason cause electricity can kill in many different ways. And further more your taking advice from a bunch of guys on a marijuana forum. go to an electrical forum somewhere else.

T

TREE KING

with the regular screwdriver i still cant get the screws out there goes that

lol calm down guys sit back and smoke a joint everythings gonna be fine. i just bought one of these. the plan is to cut the ac cord then wire that into this gfi. after that i wont have to cut the extension cord and i should be all set. sound good guys?

i dont have to worry about gettin electrocuted when i cut this cord right?

are the wires gonna show black, green, and white after i cut the cord?

Attachments

• 000_0075.jpg
    000_0075.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 000_0076.jpg
    000_0076.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
A

ak-51

lol calm down guys sit back and smoke a joint everythings gonna be fine.
Working with electricity: better get intoxicated first.

the plan is to cut the ac cord then wire that into this gfi. after that i wont have to cut the extension cord and i should be all set. sound good guys?
I give it the thumbs up*.

i dont have to worry about gettin electrocuted when i cut this cord right?
If it has been unplugged and is still unplugged then you are ok.

are the wires gonna show black, green, and white after i cut the cord?
Should.

*You should not work with electricity unless you are confident you know what you are doing. You don't sound very confident.

T

TREE KING

is there anything that we can say that would stop you?

we'll no matter what im using an extension cord. even if i gotta go buy another ac im still using a cord. i disagree with you guys that its dangerous you just have to buy a big gage one thats not gonna get hot

as far as cutting the wire and all that i would listen to you guys. if i rewire this into this new gfi it would be identical to the one it came with right?

T

TREE KING

Working with electricity: better get intoxicated first.

I give it the thumbs up*.

If it has been unplugged and is still unplugged then you are ok.

Should.

*You should not work with electricity unless you are confident you know what you are doing. You don't sound very confident.

some straight up answers thanks ak. im about to do this in a sec im just so fuckin scared of electrical shocks lol. how hard can it be to cut a wire and rewire it right ak?