What's new

NYPD Doesn't Like Pot Smokers

vta

Veteran
URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v10/n060/a06.html
Source: New York Times (NY)
Author: Kareem Fahim

VIVID TESTIMONY IN TRIAL OF THREE OFFICERS ACCUSED IN SUBWAY STATION ASSAULT

In October 2008, from different vantage points, three members of the Dallas family watched the frenzied sequence of events that Michael Mineo says led to his abuse at the hands of police officers and that the officers say led to a mostly unexceptional arrest.

Andrea Dallas watched from her car parked on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn as police officers who had seen Mr. Mineo smoking a marijuana cigarette chased him into the Prospect Park subway station. Her son, James Avery Dallas, and her husband, also named James, saw the officers confront Mr. Mineo in the station.

On Thursday, as the case opened in State Supreme Court in Brooklyn, Ms. Dallas and her son testified that they had heard the same anguished expression of disbelief over and over again from Mr. Mineo: that an officer had "shoved a walkie-talkie" between his buttocks.

"He never stopped yelling," Ms. Dallas said. "That's the only thing I heard him say."

The Dallases' testimony provided the first witness accounts of the hazy, disputed events of Oct. 15, 2008, when prosecutors contend Officer Richard Kern repeatedly shoved his retractable baton between Mr. Mineo's buttocks. Two other officers, Alex Cruz and Andrew Morales, are charged with covering up the assault. The officers have been assigned to desk duty, with their guns and badges taken away.

In opening arguments, the lead prosecutor, Charles Guria, said the cover-up was proof of the crime, noting that after chasing Mr. Mineo and forcefully handcuffing him, officers let him walk away with a summons.

"All of a sudden, no one wants to arrest Michael Mineo," Mr. Guria said. "They want Michael Mineo to leave. The other officers were trying to make sure Michael Mineo did not go to a hospital, did not go to a police station.

"I don't care what kind of law Michael Mineo broke," he added, "there's no explanation, no excuse for what happened here."

Defense lawyers, meanwhile, wasted no time trying to tarnish the reputation of Mr. Mineo, calling him a scam artist, a poseur and a "packaged product."

John D. Patten, a lawyer representing Officer Kern, and the other lawyers said that Mr. Mineo was motivated by money, and mentioned his federal civil rights lawsuit against the city that seeks hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. They also mentioned his criminal record and tattoos.

"Is Mr. Mineo credible?" Mr. Patten asked. "The evidence will show that he is not."

The lawyers said that Mr. Mineo's medical record showed no sign of an attack. He might have suffered from a previous infection, they said, or might have injured himself during the arrest. The lawyers spent considerable time talking about Mr. Mineo's underwear, saying that the square hole in it could not have been made by a baton.

The defense seemed thrown by the appearance of Ms. Dallas, who was added to the witness list only last week, and they closely questioned her and her son.

Ms. Dallas, a teacher's assistant who lives in Bedford-Stuyvesant, testified that about 1:30 p.m., Mr. Mineo ran by her car with two officers in close pursuit. They all descended into the subway station.

Sometime later, Ms. Dallas said, Mr. Mineo, surrounded by three officers, emerged in handcuffs from the subway station and was led to a police car that was double-parked in front of Ms. Dallas's car. She cracked her window but tried to pretend she was not listening -- "I was eavesdropping," she said.

Mr. Mineo, she said, told an officer that he had been treated like "some kind of a faggot."

Defense lawyers tried to elicit inconsistencies, and at one point, Ms. Dallas mistook Officer Kern, who sat in court, for Mr. Mineo, who was not there.

Some facts she remembered vividly. Like the names of two of the officers -- she said she had looked at their nameplates -- and the fact that one officer, Kevin Maloney, had made a face at Mr. Mineo as he sat handcuffed in the squad car. "He squinted, he threw back his head, and he turned up his nose," Ms. Dallas recalled.

Prosecutors said that Officer Maloney would corroborate Mr. Mineo's story.

Ms. Dallas's son, who is now 13 and wore a gray suit in court, had a close-up view of the events in front of the station agent's booth, where prosecutors said the assault took place. As Mr. Mineo tried to escape, one officer "clotheslined" him, James testified. Then the officer, whom defense lawyers identified as Noel Jugraj, threw Mr. Mineo against the wall and onto the floor, and kicked him in the face, according to the boy. Mr. Jugraj has not been charged in the case.

James said that he did not see anyone insert an object between Mr. Mineo's buttocks, but that an officer was blocking his view. He testified that he heard one of the officers ask Mr. Mineo where the drugs were, and another say, "In his butt." Mr. Mineo replied, "I didn't put it in my butt. I swallowed it," James said.

His father is also expected to testify.

C

CannaCompulsory

nypd dont like anything, bunch of angry miserable fucks, imho.

H

heavy dank nugg

in my best Alicia Keys voice " lets here it for New York concrete jungle where dreams are made of theres nothing you cant do now your in New York.these streets will make you feel brand new the po-lice will rape you. lets here it for new york new york new york

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
What I want to know why these pieces of shit aren't in prison for sexual assault? A desk job? No gun? What the hell? If this crime was committed by anyone who wasn't "above the law," they would have landed at LEAST jail time and been forced to register as a sex offender, yet people wonder why others hate cops.

A

alpinestar

i love how people say
"you don't have anything to worry about unless you're doing something wrong"

C

CannaCompulsory

oink!

oink!

What I want to know why these pieces of shit aren't in prison for sexual assault? ...
pretty sure they're Port Authority if i remember correct? In that case, sexual assault is a prereq for the job.
OINK!

HeLLMuTT

That's just fucked up!

I've had San Jose PD hand me back roughly 6 grams after getting caught smoking with my ex in downtown. I even pulled it out when approached they looked at it, gave me a brief search and held it till they made sure I didn't have any warrants.

They just handed it back and said quote "I'm not worried about a couple people smoking a joint. If you had REAL drugs, I wouldn't be happy" They just let us walk away. I had no Rx at the time either.

A month later I picked up a part time job at a Peet's coffee and saw the same cop every day I worked! I have to say he was a nice guy. I know I can't say that for every single SJPD officer, but still...

greenhead

Veteran
Look at the cop, he looks like a fucking kid, with a stupid shit eating grin on his face. Looks pretty guilty, if you ask me.

alg_kern.jpg

The particular cops in this case may indeed be asshole scumbags, but it's kind of dumb to be smoking outside in my opinion, especially knowing that it might lead to trouble, as it did in this case.

:smokey:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
What I want to know why these pieces of shit aren't in prison for sexual assault? A desk job? No gun? What the hell? If this crime was committed by anyone who wasn't "above the law," they would have landed at LEAST jail time and been forced to register as a sex offender, yet people wonder why others hate cops.

???

Are you serious? You can read, right?

They are on trial, which is, indeed, the first step in putting them in prison. "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it"

Or are you saying you'd rather not have due process?:rolleyes:

On the original topic, I hope they get what's coming if they're found guilty, and I love that they charged not only the acting officer, but the officers that tried to cover up for him too. Thin blue line works both ways. If you stand by each other no matter what, then you all fall together.

What kind of slime tries to justify that? Fucking wastes of oxygen.

ambertrich

Veteran
What is it with these guys and other peoples assholes-just can't leave em alone. First the guy with the plunger handle in a station bathroom, now using batton's to attempt anal rape because someone was having a toke?

Maybe someone needs to sell chastitiy belts for New Yorkers to keep the pigs out of your ass. "'Popo protection' so you don't have that burning feeling to leave NY"

I

idoreallytry

makes me glad i live where i do,,,way too much hate in that city,,,peace

dkmonk

Wow so someone smoking a joint in a pigs mind is justification to live out their homosexual fantasies on him.

That shit is fucked up, the prick just smiles about it, I hope he gets sent to prison were his fantasies can be lived out all he wants, just probably not the way he thought of them happening.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
nypd can suck my ballz why i left the city crooked profiling thieving asshole 2years ago i got jumped by 3 of em youngens i had nothin on me one new me from highschool was a prick then they took all money about 3gs locked me up on a bogus possession charge i dont even sniff but they found a bag of white powder in his pocket anyway lawyerd up beat it and moved not all cops suck i know a few good ones in the city but i would love to hear about this asshole gettin his shhit handed to him im gonna stop before i say to much but its always the wrong ones that get killed on duty rip tshenko he was a friend and a good cop i would lopve to see that stupid water head in the pic above off duty and peace all

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
???

Are you serious? You can read, right?

Lol, apparently not, I just assumed that this thing was in the bag and the cops walked free, like in most instances. It's like most generally police departments don't want to ever admit that they were in the wrong, and they have the entire "judicial process" to back it up. Anyways, here's to bad vibes at the pigs and being stood corrected.

I agree that it's stupid to smoke in public settings where the laws aren't more lax, but that doesn't equate to being forcibly probed with an inanimate object by a bunch of social rejects. It's ridiculous that these kind of situations can take place over a personal preference and right.

vta

Veteran
INJURIES OF MAN CLAIMING POLICE ABUSE ARE DETAILED

A doctor who supervised Michael Mineo's care at Brookdale University Hospital testified on Tuesday that when Mr. Mineo arrived shortly after his confrontation with the police in a Brooklyn subway station 15 months ago, he had anal skin lacerations, a "small amount" of anal bleeding and symptoms of an internal inflammation, including a high white blood cell count.

The doctor, Syed Ahmed, said the insertion of a "foreign object" could have caused the tears and led to the inflammation, which eventually developed into a full-blown infection. And Dr. Ahmed said it was "highly unlikely" that Mr. Mineo could have caused the tears himself, as defense lawyers have suggested, given how painful it would have been.

His testimony in State Supreme Court in Brooklyn offered the first detailed glimpse of Mr. Mineo's medical condition during two separate hospital visits after the events of Oct. 15, 2008, when prosecutors contend that Officer Richard Kern repeatedly rammed his retractable baton between Mr. Mineo's buttocks. Officers had seen Mr. Mineo, then a 26-year-old body piercer, smoking marijuana and chased him into the Prospect Park subway station.

Officer Kern is charged with aggravated sexual abuse. Two other officers, Andrew Morales and Alex Cruz, are accused of helping Officer Kern hush it up.

Since Mr. Mineo first went public with his story, the medical records have been something of a mystery. After the subway encounter, his lawyers refused to fully release the records, fueling skepticism over whether he was telling the truth. For more than a week, top police officials, citing witness testimony, denied any abuse had occurred -- even though investigators had interviewed Mr. Mineo in the hospital, and television cameras had showed him there later, his face etched in pain.

More medical testimony is expected on Wednesday, as prosecutors wrap up their case.

Defense lawyers plan to call their own medical experts to testify that the tears could have been caused by a bowel movement or other factors unrelated to Mr. Mineo's arrest, and that the elevated white blood cell count suggested an infection well under way before he encountered Officer Kern.

Mr. Mineo tried to leave the hospital the day after he was admitted, but ended up staying until Oct. 19. He was hospitalized again, at Brooklyn Hospital Center, a few days later with an abscess that had to be drained.

Court testimony and records show that investigators were in contact with both Mr. Mineo and the Brookdale staff on the first day he was hospitalized, though it is unclear which of his medical records they looked at, or whether they showed any of them to doctors or experts.

In court last week, the officer who conducted the police's internal-affairs investigation testified that prosecutors prevented his team from taking the medical records to an expert; prosecutors, in turn, said that was because they had their own experts.

On the witness stand on Tuesday, Dr. Ahmed, a surgeon, said he never actually met Mr. Mineo, but was on duty the night he was admitted and supervised his case. Mr. Mineo's first exam was at 5:30 p.m. that day, about four hours after the encounter with the police. A report said he stated that "he was smoking weed, attacked by police officers," and complained of abdominal pain and that he had been assaulted by a "foreign body to rectum." It notes "multiple rectal tears, appear to be superficial."

Dr. Ahmed explained that the references to rectal tears were mistaken: Mr. Mineo actually had "anal skin lacerations," he said, and showed no sign, from a CT scan, that the walls of his rectum had been pierced. Mr. Mineo's heart rate and white blood cell count were "significantly high," Dr. Ahmed testified, indicating an "inflammatory process going on in the body."

Another report noted Mr. Mineo complained of pain in his lower abdomen, and while urinating. The CT scan found an enlarged pelvic muscle "consistent with edema," or a swelling caused by excess fluid. His pain score was recorded on yet another report as 10 out of 10.

"That means pain of a maximum intensity," Dr. Ahmed said.

A prosecutor, Jeffrey Ferguson, showed Dr. Ahmed Officer Kern's baton, and asked: "Is the insertion of this object into the rectum of Michael Mineo consistent with your medical findings?" Dr. Ahmed answered that it "could be."

During a heated cross-examination, Officer Cruz's lawyer, Stuart London, asked Dr. Ahmed repeatedly why Mr. Mineo did not receive antibiotics, or a battery of tests. Mr. London also asked about the distance between the site of the inflammation, and Mr. Mineo's tears, suggesting they were too far away from each other to be related.

"It's not so far away," Dr. Ahmed said.

As Mr. London tried to hand Officer Kern's baton to Dr. Ahmed, the doctor paused for a moment to put on surgical gloves.

"If it is the same object," the doctor said, "I would suggest that you do that, too."