What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NPK Test Kit!

Ganico

Veteran
Hotdamn! Anyone ever seen anything like this before? It's only $20.

www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.sto...ductDetail-SellPage?OfferID=20011&SC=xnet8101

34-972.jpg

Ganico

Veteran
Is this old news or something? I thought it'd be pretty dope to know what the NPK levels in your soil are.

clowntown

Veteran
Pretty neat; but I can't quite see any practical indoor uses, as your soil manufacturer (is that the right word?) should tell you what the NPK levels are out of the package.

Ganico

Veteran
Unless you mix your own, or to check the levels of your teas.

Guess I should have posted this in the Organic forum.

K

kokua

yep ganico...old news :) this has been on the market for years. It is fairly accurate...key word is fairly. It will give you an idea of what your levels are.

If you want a more accurate test...try your local University Ag extention. There is usually an extension in every major city in the US. They will test soil for free :)

Ganico

Veteran
Damn for real? But you couldn't of course bring them tissue samples, haha. Not sure if you can do tissue samples with this cheap kit, but they make tissue samples to check plant nutrition in the actual plant though, for like $50-$75

I never thought about the Ag department though for soils test, good call on that one

K

kokua

NO plant samples...PLEASE lol :) That rapitest wont do tissue either...only soil.

You can contact the extension ahead of time and they can mail out a kit with instructions on how to collect, store, and ship the sample to them. So you don't have to actually go down there if you don't want to (most of the time). You might have to put postage on there, and a return addy would be required, but you could always use your safe address (moms house).

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
What's wrong with tissue samples? I'd think it'd be the most accurate way to gauge the nutrition your plants are receiving (could be wrong bout that though)

K

kokua

nothing is wrong with plant samples...if the plants were legal. Not that they would test or even care, but the possibility exists...and that wouldn't be good :)

Ganico

Veteran
I never said that I was, in fact I said:

"But you couldn't of course bring them tissue samples"

Hell I'm not a COMPLETE dumbass. Come on, folks.

K

kokua

of course not...was implying that at all :) Just making sure that the kind folks who come behind us and read this understand.

Ganico

Veteran
Ah okay, hahahaha. If you got popped from doing some dumb shit like that it'd probably be more along the lines of "natural selection".

Old thread, but important-

Old thread, but important-

I think an NPK test kit is well worth it. Bags of soil can vary dramatically if not mixed well and do you really believe every thing they put on the labels. I don't. Is very good to check your teas and homemade soil too along with ppm.
*** Whatshu talkin bout clowntown. Banned I see, but will have to check on[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "a more accurate test...try your local University Ag extention. There is usually an extension in every major city in the US. They will test soil for free".
Of course NPK needed varies plant to plant and slow or fast absorbing ingredients also make a difference, but does anyone have a general NPK valu for veg and bloom they use most? :tiphat:SR

[/FONT]

Exactly. And if you were selling ferts, how would I know your being honest about the NPK or not mixed well and it could vary bag to bag. My compost and soil I have to buy and neither state the NPK, but do very well besides. Still have no clue how much NPK and not sure what to add till a deficiency and think could be to much N. I am getting a kit as they don't cost that much and growing is a science and more info will mean less headache later. :tiphat:SR

Latest posts

Latest posts