What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Notre Dame football, lol...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Baba I didn't equate that ND was like the Yankees. You can't buy players in college football so it isn't a fair comparison to begin with.
I am not that vested in Notre Dame to defend them in a thread.
Notre Dame is actually the most relevant college football team there is. Deal with it armedoldhippy.

12-1 and in the CFP. They will most likely be back next year. And on NBC the Notre Dame Broadcasting station.

college football players are bought and sold like cattle. not vested? why keep returning? most relevant? hee hee hee... yeah, their fans will be whining AGAIN next season. they do well in the second tier of football, i'll give you that.:tiphat:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
ND played 4 ranked teams this year, Va tech, michigan, syracuse and stanford.
Bama played 4 ranked teams as well, Tx A&M, LSU, Miss State, and Georgia in the SEC title game.
ND not being in a conference they dont get to play that 13th game, a conf championship game.

Maybe if ND had 1 loss, you can argue that a 2 loss Georgia team or more likely a 1 loss Ohio state team should have been in the CFP, but they went undefeated against a major conference schedule (tarzan is right, Bama played 3 cupcakes in Ark State, Univ of Louisiana and Citadel) and so were an easy choice for the playoff committee.

The fact that they laid an egg against clemson is what it is, it gives ammo to people that think theyre over rated. I watched some of their games, i thought their defense was pretty good, physical and athletic, maybe not Bama quality but not far off. I thought Ian Book was a good, accurate QB, made good decisions, could run a bit.

But clemson's QB, trevor lawrence, is probably the #1 overall draft pick in 2 years when he's eligible, and their defense and coaching were superior as well. Brian kelly calls his own plays but he couldnt get the score competitive. His off line wasnt helping, they werent offering much protection or run blocking; I do have to point out that the Irish had 2 off linemen drafted in the top 10 last year, and they didnt have the depth to replace them.

I am looking forward to the day that it's discovered alabama has been paying their players low to mid 6 figures apiece to go there, and that theyve been force feeding them steroids and HGH at mealtimes to make them bigger faster and stronger than everyone else.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
given the drug testing regimen the NCAA uses, i seriously doubt that is happening. i'm sure a lot of folks secretly wish it was true however... :biggrin: their players are bigger, faster & stronger because that is the caliber of players that sign on at schools that keep winning championships. sure, there are many other players of that quality lb for lb. but no other team(s) have signed such a high percentage relative to the number of guys on the team...nor are they as well coached. 'bama aint the first school he has won a title at.

iTarzan

is there anyone else out there as sick of them as i am? "we went undefeated, we deserve to be in the picture!": boys, you ARE in the picture. standing way the fuck in the background with the other old maids & pretenders. you want some respect? play someone real, join a fucking conference so we can see what you really have. you want in the BIG PICTURE? the huge New Year bowls? run the table in ANY good conference & we'll talk again. try your hand at a year in the SEC or ACC if you have the balls...HAHAHAHAHAHA!:laughing: i would put up any top level team from any of several conferences against those weasels & bet good money on it...i wouldn't vote you in as dogcatchers until you join a football conference.:tiphat:

How wrong you were. LOL! Notre Dame played a better game against Clemson. Especially when you consider ND lost their main defensive back and a defensive end and an offensive lineman during the game. That is when the game turned on N.D.
Alabama got beat on beginning to end. Clemson could have put up 50+ at the end of the game.

So IMHO tomorrow when the final poll comes out 12-1 Notre Dame will be #2.

1. Clemson 2. Notre Dame 3. Alabama

LOL!! 44-16 Alabama must really stink according to you armedoldhippy. OVERRATED by your standards.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
How wrong you were. LOL! Notre Dame played a better game against Clemson. Especially when you consider ND lost their main defensive back and a defensive end and an offensive lineman during the game. That is when the game turned on N.D.
Alabama got beat on beginning to end. Clemson could have put up 50+ at the end of the game.

LOL!! 44-16 Alabama must really stink according to you armedoldhippy. OVERRATED by your standards.

wrong about what? i never predicted a winner. not surprised that Clemson won, either. great players, damn good coach. good luck at being number 2. never seen a team move up in poll after losing their bowl game, lol. i'm sure ND fans see it that way, though.:) actually, ND IS "number 2" most years, lol. over-rated? might have been. i didn't see the game. sounds like Clemson played great & 'bama didn't. that is why they play the games...:tiphat:

iTarzan

You know why you are wrong. Don't pretend you don't. Clemson beat Alabama worse then they beat Alabama. So all your reason why Notre Dame is overrated is why Alabama is overrated. Neither was overrated except by your idiotic standards.

The polls are in.

1. Clemson

2. Alabama (lost to Clemson just like ND only worse IMHO)

3. Ohio State 12-1 and lost to fucking Purdue

4. Oklahoma 12-2 lost to Alabama and Texas (at Oklahoma) lost their bowl and stayed at 4

5. Notre Dame 12-1 and lost to Clemson.

The polls don't really seem fair but they are what they are.

Notre Dame #5 Deal with it!

Preseason polls are out to and they are #5

Next year ND has road games against Michigan, Georgia, Louisville, Duke and Stanford. Home with B.C., Navy, Virginia, Virginia Tech, New Mexico and USC.

So they have ACC and SEC teams and a whle bunch more.

Thy play Clemson in 2020.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor

That’s not really saying anything. South Carolina played a better game against Clemson....does that mean they are better than Bama and ND?.?. Lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
You know why you are wrong. Don't pretend you don't. Clemson beat Alabama worse then they beat Alabama. So all your reason why Notre Dame is overrated is why Alabama is overrated. Neither was overrated except by your idiotic standards.

The polls are in.

1. Clemson

2. Alabama (lost to Clemson just like ND only worse IMHO)

3. Ohio State 12-1 and lost to fucking Purdue

4. Oklahoma 12-2 lost to Alabama and Texas (at Oklahoma) lost their bowl and stayed at 4

5. Notre Dame 12-1 and lost to Clemson.

The polls don't really seem fair but they are what they are.

Notre Dame #5 Deal with it!

Preseason polls are out to and they are #5

Next year ND has road games against Michigan, Georgia, Louisville, Duke and Stanford. Home with B.C., Navy, Virginia, Virginia Tech, New Mexico and USC.

So they have ACC and SEC teams and a whle bunch more.

Thy play Clemson in 2020.

i see nothing wrong except what you might call "logic" lol. point out what i said that is "wrong" or STFU. 'bama got their ass handed to them by a better team (that night anyway). i see 3 or 4 games on your schedule that might be interesting. congrats on being number ...ooops, 5. LOL! what on EARTH happened to being number 2? why are they not no. 1? not every member of the poll went to ND i guess...it is the poll at the END of the season that counts. better pick your buttons up off the floor...

iTarzan

That’s not really saying anything. South Carolina played a better game against Clemson....does that mean they are better than Bama and ND?.?. Lol

We are not freaking talking about being better. We are talking about being overrated. Armedoldhippy said ND was overrated because they lost to Clemson. He thinks Alabama is not overrated yet they lost even worse to Clemson.

12-1 and ND only lost to Clemson. They finish #5. They were #4 in the poll before. The facts are in... Notre Dame was not overrated and armedoldhippy is an illogical hater.

The final verdict on the season is in. The Alabama loss proved armedoldhippy was just a hater.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
We are not freaking talking about being better. We are talking about being overrated. Armedoldhippy said ND was overrated because they lost to Clemson. He thinks Alabama is not overrated yet they lost even worse to Clemson.

12-1 and ND only lost to Clemson. They finish #5. They were #4 in the poll before. The facts are in... Notre Dame was not overrated and armedoldhippy is an illogical hater.

The final verdict on the season is in. The Alabama loss proved armedoldhippy was just a hater.

nope, sorry. your "quantum leaps" do not connect. if ND had won a title or two,(lately LOL!) what i said "could" have been construed as "hating". but..they have not. look at Alabamas record over the last 5 years, dipshit, and point out the weak spots in big games. their record speaks for itself (despite losing a big game here and there) and so does NDs. they are there damn near every year, & ND is looking in at them crying with jealousy. you really need lessons in reading comprehension. your saying "hater, hater" only make you look more ridiculous than ever. which is saying something, because i've watched your troll ass arguing ad infinitum for months on here about issues no one agrees with you on. the verdict IS in - 'bama ranked ahead of the Catholic Chumps AGAIN! carry on...:laughing:

iTarzan

nope, sorry. your "quantum leaps" do not connect. if ND had won a title or two,(lately LOL!) what i said "could" have been construed as "hating". but..they have not. look at Alabamas record over the last 5 years, dipshit, and point out the weak spots in big games. their record speaks for itself (despite losing a big game here and there) and so does NDs. they are there damn near every year, & ND is looking in at them crying with jealousy. you really need lessons in reading comprehension. your saying "hater, hater" only make you look more ridiculous than ever. which is saying something, because i've watched your troll ass arguing ad infinitum for months on here about issues no one agrees with you on. the verdict IS in - 'bama ranked ahead of the Catholic Chumps AGAIN! carry on...:laughing:

NO! You are 100% a hater. Sad, sad hater with no team you call your own.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Tarzan is right, ND lost by 27 to Clemson, and Bama lost by 28. Maybe the selection committee should take that into account next time Bama is considered for the playoffs. Heh.
In all seriousness, that score got out of hand quickly even though the Tide had almost as many yards as Clemson. Being stopped in the red zone 4 times (penalty at the goal line and settled for a FG, fake FG attempt stopped for no gain, two turnovers on downs) made the score more lopsided than it should have been, but give credit to the tigers’ defense, they were more physical and athletic than alabama’s, which you very rarely see, maybe once every 5-6 years.
Hippy is right also, Clemson played great and Bama didn’t, and when youre pretty evenly matched, that can lead to a lopsided score. Bama usually plays less talented teams, so even if they don’t have their A game they’ll still pull out a win, sometimes even by a lot, but against an equally talented team, with an equally talented QB, they fell way short.
I didn’t realize NCAA drug testing is random and year round, but that doesn’t mean doping is impossible. For one, they only did 11k tests on 400k NCAA athletes (all sports across all divisions) which means like 2% of athletes get tested in any given year – this was from 2011, the last year data was available. Ok, so theyre probably not testing the swim team at William and Mary as often as theyre testing Div I football players, but still it seems like there’s a more than decent chance a lot of football players don’t get tested at all.
Also, the test is a urine test, not blood, so they cant test for HGH. And, if the athlete can be tipped off days before that he’ll be tested, then it’s possible to take microdoses of PED’s so that they can flushed out of the system relatively quickly.
And while it’s true that the top teams get elite recruits with great genetics, I think that just means they get more of a benefit from PEDs. Barry bonds got tired of seeing lesser players like mcgwire and sosa hit 60 home runs a year, and got on the roids himself and turned into the modern day Babe Ruth and put those guys to shame.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
NO! You are 100% a hater. Sad, sad hater with no team you call your own.

:biggrin: if repeating yourself against all evidence is all you got, i reckon we are done. there are several teams i follow, sorry. but none of them whine when they don't get a bowl bid because they know they did not earn it. unlike the chumps you portray as champs. if we are going to use relative scores (we only lost by 27, you lost by 28! nyahh!) that is a whole new can of worms. but...'bama scored 2 touchdowns, the chumps only managed a field goal, LOL! now, WHO was more competitive? which team got into the red zone more? HMMMMM? :laughing:

EvergreenState

Born and raised in Indiana, I grew up a Notre Dame hater. So I was never a Notre Dame apologist.
I have to say though that coach Kelly's post game comments carried some weight with me. Kelly is a very accomplished coach, 2 time AP coach of the year and the list of coaching awards is long. There is a lot of talent that he would like to get to come to Notre Dame but can't, mainly because of higher academic standards at Notre Dame but he knows football talent.
So when he said he didn't see much athletic talent difference between his team and Clemson, I think he is not completely wrong. So I don't believe Notre Dame is a total fraud but I don't believe they were the 4th best team in the country either. Maybe top 12 to 15.
What I do believe is that this year Clemson's defense was one of the best college DEFENSIVE teams of all time; by the end of the year. By the time the playoffs came around, that defensive unit had worked out all of the bugs and issues they had gone through during the season and were clicking on all cylinders. They are a very young team and a lot of the young players were making a lot of assignment mistakes during the season. By the end of the season all of those mistakes were corrected, Dabo is a very good coach, the young guys improved with experience and they were rockin'. Their defense completely shut down Notre Dame's offense and I believe Note Dame's quarterback completely wilted under the pressure.
He looked absolutely awful and it was clear he was not up to the pressure of that game; that was the one area where there was a big talent difference. He looked completely lost, inept and looked like a scrub. I couldn't believe how badly he played.
So is Notre Dame a total fraud, no. Did they belong in the playoffs, no. If they play an SEC schedule, they lose 2 to 3 games; at least. So Notre Dame is a top 15 program and if they had a stud quarterback, blew everybody on their schedule out by 30+ points a game I'd consider them for the playoffs.
When you beat Ball State, a mid size college in central Indiana, a team that won 4 games, at home and you only win 24-16, you got no business in the playoffs. When you look at their schedule and you see who they beat and the scores by which they won, there is no way in hell that team makes the playoffs.
The only comparison game is Syracuse and Syracuse's starting, senior quarterback gets hurt early in the 1st quarter. A true freshman plays the rest of the game, he throws a couple of picks, the game starts going downhill for them quickly and it's a big win for Notre Dame. It was one of those games where one team wasn't nearly as good as the score showed and the other team wasn't nearly as bad as the score showed.
Clemson played Syracuse, whose starting senior quarterback was healthy and he played really well. The young defense was still learning the ropes and Clemson was trying a two man quaterback rotation playing Trevor Lawrence for the first time; he played half the game and their regular starter played half the game. They won a close conference game against a Syracuse team who always plays them tough and who had their star quarterback playing.
You look at the rest of their schedules and Notre Dame played a lot of close games against very average teams. Stanford and USC were both way down this year, Florida State, Pitt and Virginia Tech were all down this year. I know it's not Notre Dame's fault those perennially good programs were down this year but the fact is they were down. Way down. Clemson had a lot of big wins.
The selection committee used poor judgment picking Notre Dame. They looked at their schedule and saw their opponents, who are usually good, assumed the same about them this year and thought Notre Dame had a bunch of quality wins. They didn't appear to look at how bad those teams were, THIS YEAR!
Honestly I find it hard to believe that the selection committee was THAT blind and stupid, so they obviously chose for money reasons. Notre Dame had a huge national following and can bring in a bunch of money for the committee's boss; the NCAA!
So Notre is not a TOTAL fraud. Like I said, maybe a top 12-15 ranked team. So I give their fraud rating at 50%.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
While you make some good arguments, Evergreen, what i dont get is why you think ND shouldnt have made the CFP with a perfect record. They went 12-0 against teams that were all Div I, they didnt play any Div I-AA teams like Bama did (twice). Ball state was the worst opponent they played, and ur right they didnt blow them out, it was closer than it should have been, but a game or two after that is when they switched qb's from wimbush to book and the offense started to take off. And yes, book looked awful against the tigers, but they made even tua and the tide offense look bad for most of the game, and the tide were winning every game by 30pts this year.

There were 2 Power 5 teams that went undefeated this year, Bama and Clemson. ND also went undefeated and played a schedule that was on par with any P5 team (4 ranked teams, every opponent a Div I team). The only knock on them was they didnt play a conf championship game.

Unless there are 4 or more P5 teams that go undefeated, im not sure you can leave an undefeated ND out of any CFP...

EvergreenState

They played a lot of bad div. 1 teams. They didn't play TOP ranked teams and Syracuse was crippled without their quarterback. Georgia was clearly a better team, LSU was better. I watched them have a hard time against teams a top 4 team would crush. They don't play in a conference and conference games are usually tough. Some teams are ranked at certain points in the season and then eventually drop quite a bit or drop out of the rankings, so unless they play teams that held their rankings or moved up, that doesn't matter.
Hell UCF was damn near undefeated for 2 years, beat a good Auburn team in a bowl game last year and they couldn't sniff the playoffs.
I'm sorry Notre Dame gets picked for the dough they bring in. They get in the big games and get crushed. Enough with Notre Dame. Join even a mostly mediocre Big 10, dominate there and we can talk.

iTarzan

The Ball State game was eye opening but teams like that get all jacked up when they get a shot at ND. However, Ball State would kick the crap out of the Citadel and the Citadel was tied with Alabama at halftime. Because sometimes the Citadel gets jacked up when they get a shot at teams like Alabama. Notre Dame was not a 12-15 ranked team.

The difference between Clemson and Notre Dame was ND's all american DB got hurt and the Clemson freshman reciever Ross is a future NFL all pro who nobody on ND could cover when the DB went down. I don't know if he was going to contain Ross the whole game like he did the 1st quarter but it was 3-3 after the 1st, then the guy got injured and Clemson scored 20 ponts in the 2nd quarter before the defense got it together again.

The Clemson defense did shut ND down but the ND defense got a bad break on the DB going again or the game could have been just like the 1st quarter all the way to the end. Ross is incredible and he tore up Alabama too.

Latest posts

Latest posts