What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NoSocSlic's Thread for Growing and Learning

N

NoSocSlic

Week 4

Week 4

I'm just snapping a quick picture this week.

Not much to report. It doesn't show in the picture, but I'm surprised at how much resin is already being produced. The buds have also set in really quick and already gotten decent size to them.

The male hasn't opened up. I am second guessing even pollinating. My buddy is going to take the male off my hands and collect the pollen. I think I only want to pollinate the dream diesel. She has stretched out a lot, about as tall as the rest of the girls, but her buds haven't set yet.

So yeah that is my decision. I don't want to get another mixed up strain that I will have to work out. This is just a test run on the homemade seed, and I will still be making some dream diesel seeds. Only 6 or 7 weeks from another batch of weed makes me happy.

N

NoSocSlic

Mid week update:

Mid week update:

The last 3 days I have had to leave the grow closed. This raises temps to about 83 F which the plants did not like, and it exposed some nutrient deficiencies. One is showing N deficiency and a few show a calcium def. I just watered with some blackstrap molasses added (1 tsp per gallon) which will give them a boost to cal/mag, N, and potassium as well as some sugars. I hope that slows it down or even better solves it. I will start adding calmag if I need to. I was expecting to have some problems in these small of containers, but I did think that I wouldn't be seeing them for another week at least.

The buds are looking great! They're gaining size, pumping resin and smelling very strong; so strong that I need to figure out a counter measure. There is a buffer zone that I can contain the smell to. If I put some ONA gel in it I think it'll do the trick. I underestimated how much the smell would increase with the amount of area they take up. It is shaping up to be the best weed I've grown, and probably the biggest yield.

I was reading about hybrid vigour in F1's yesterday and think I can partly attribute it to that; The idea that two distinctly different strains when combined create an especially vigorous generation of plants that subsides in the next generations. Pretty cool. It is definitely not the case for the little dwarf plant. I have an affinity for it though lol, All three hybrids are doing the best health wise and the 3 (R) plants, which I will name after this grow is done (promise), are the ones showing nute problems.

N

NoSocSlic

Okay I have the new pictures. Definitely coming along. The girls look just a bit beat up but I think they are fine for now. I am going to continue watering with molasses for now, and get calmag if they get much worse. These plants smell dank! That is going to cause some problems if I don't do something about it. I am posting pictures on the next page.

N

NoSocSlic

Week 5 (cont)

Week 5 (cont)

Canopy and Calcium Deficiency:

BUDSHOTS! from R1 She is my favorite so far.

N

NoSocSlic

Week 6

Week 6

Alright Week 6 is here. The plants aren't in as bad of shape as I expected. I should be able to guide them through the rest of the grow without problems. I've been watering with molasses every watering. Smell continues to increase, but thanks to the ONA block I got I feel safe again.

My buddy has the dream diesel male and female, and we are going to split the seeds from that. R1 continues to be my favorite. The 3 headed monster (front left) is a close second. Although the buds on her aren't nearly is big, there are 3 so she will probably be the biggest yielder. Sh1 has the biggest cola in the group. It's roughly the same height as R1 but much fatter.

I haven't scoped out the trichs quite yet but I will start doing that sometime this week. The oldest plant (R1) is at 41 days now, the youngest 3 are at day 36. I do expect this to go at least to week 9. Still, I feel like I'm in the home stretch. Just a few weeks away!

Scroll down a few posts to see a pic of the trichomes.

Last edited:

kcaven

ABSOLUTE Beginner

ABSOLUTE Beginner

Sorry if I am asking some dumb questions but being green as a pool table to this (once about 30 yrs ago) I have a couple of questions
1) Is it better to start the seed in a small cup and transplant?
2) What is the best soil to use? I bought some for my first failed try that was DAMP throughout and of course the plant got an inch high and died.
3) If I grow outdoors-I have a courtyard thats fenced in-can I bring the plants in at night or just leave them outside?
4) Being on disability and not much money, I think I will have to use CFL lights-what is the optimum amount of lights I should use?

Thanks for any help-I have some more seeds but dont want to just blow through them and kill every one of them!

TIA everyone

N

NoSocSlic

Hey no problem. When you start the seeds first germinate them in a paper towel. All you have to do is keep it wet, you can google germination techniques for a little more info on that. Once the initial root pops out, then you put it in a small cup. I set mine up so that I will have 3 pot sizes (small cup, big cup, final pot). I am using Fox Farms Ocean Forest, I have had good luck with it, but it isn't the only soil out there. Honestly, if you can get away with outdoor growing, you would get a lot more than using CFL's, I would say if you can do it outside that is a great way to go. You have to worry about weather and bugs though. If you do it indoors with CFL's, then the more the better. I am only using about 100w of CFL's though. I have 3 23w and a 33w right now.

You want the soil to be loose and drain well. I add a bunch of perlite to the soil. That will keep it from staying so wet. You may want to do a small test run first, just to get an idea of what to expect. Maybe pop like 3 beans and let them grow so you can get a practice round in. It'll give you a chance to see the males and females, you could even pollenate the females to make more seeds. The first plant I ever grew was with one light bulb and no timer lol. I ended up with about a bowl to smoke by the end of it. It is fun to grow and learn about these plants. Google is your best friend and this site is great. You should also look up what the closest Hydro stores are around you. They'll carry anything you could ever want and can give you really good advice usually. Have fun! Happy Growing.

kcaven

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thanks so much-
First try failed inside with CFL's-second time i started in a 5 gal pot and it got to about an inch or so then died. I touched and put my fingers in the soil and it just felt SOAKED and it had NEVER been in any rain or water.........i guess just horrible choice of soil?
This state has ZERO shops that would even talk to you about weed-
DEEP SOUTH
Im not even sure I could get Foxfarms around here-
I have an enclosed area with an 8 foot fence and I can lock the gate and also able to bring the pots in out of the rain or put them in the garage. I really dont need more than 1 plant-if i planted 3 and GOT 3 good ones I wouldnt have room to hide that much!!
What about upstairs where you cant see in from the ground facing south? I was thinking about that too-indoors but dont have to use lights because of so much natural light all day-windows are on the east and west so i could move them when the light goes west
Sorry to ramble but I really want this to work-
And thanks again for your help!
(those plants are only SIX WEEKS????) WOW

kcaven

If that was outside would you want to make it flower that fast? I have seen and read that outside could take me 4-6 MONTHS till finish!

N

NoSocSlic

They are older than six weeks that's just how long into flowering I am. Inside you can control the lights with a timer. When the get to the right size I switch them over to 12 hours light 12 hours dark, that induces flowering. You'll want to start more than one even if you don't keep it because if it ends up male it is worthless. Doing the grow outdoors is always risky. Some plants can get very very tall from what I've heard and read. Plus bugs, mold, thieves can all ruin it. If you tried to use the window light you'd still probably have to wait til the end of the year for a harvest. Naturally, the plants won't flower until around august or September, so harvest is in October or November. If I were you I would make a small cfl cab or use a spare closet. I use a closet currently and it works great for me. I have a friend that uses 3 cfls in an old tool box for his grow. You can get pretty creative.

Oh and you definitely want to start in a small pot and transplant, that way the plants can soak up the water, and it avoids other problems too. If you start big then the roots will still fill the pot and you end up with a huge plant that gets rootbound. Pot size is a way to control plant size.

kcaven

Same as hestah

Same as hestah

Nice grow NoSocSlic. This is valuable information that you are sharing. I like it that you don't have a whole lot of experience and are growing on a small scale. Nice to get a beginners perspective on the growing experience. As I never grown myself this is great..

I also like your early topping and LSTing, it looks cool:biggrin:

I hope all goes well for you.
/hestah

Im enjoying reading your stuff as well-ALWAYS nice to have people that share and are not so jaded that they think EVERYONE knows exactly what to do-NOT saying I have run into people like that in HERE but I have in other forums!

N

NoSocSlic

I try my best to share everything I do. I know what you mean, I feel like I'm not so much a newbie anymore, but really I am still pretty new to growing. For as many assholes as there are there are at least as many good folks who want to help. I'm glad someone is finding this useful! I would hate to think I've been wasting my time with it all lol. (Really I like it cause now I have a journal of stuff).

kcaven

For what its worth Im LOVING reading your journal-
Im still REALLY curious about that soil I had-it SHOULDNT feel wet throughout the entire bucket when its right out of the bag should it? I mean it was a whole different color than the obviously dried part-which wasnt much. That HAD to be what killed that little plant
Anyways-thanks for the help-Im following!!

kcaven

Very interesting how you have the shoots tied down-is that to make it bushier and not as tall? Looks great!

kcaven

Ive got a closet I can use-you think that would be a better way to go? DEFINATELY more private.........just have to figure out HOW MANY CFL's and what wattage.......or just light it up with as many as I can get in there?

N

NoSocSlic

I use a shelf on the top of the closet. I have about 2.5 feet high, and use a space about 22in. x 27in. In that small of a space I use between 100w and 125w of CFL. I use 2 fans to cool it, and at any time can just shut the closet door and you would never really even notice. I do only 125w max because of temp and cost. It's about $7 of electricity a month. If you can limit the vertical space with a shelf it really helps lower how many cfls you would need. You can also rig up a way of hanging a light that you can raise up as the plants grow taller.

That plant that I was tying down, first I topped it twice to make 4 main chutes, then you tie the chutes down and more grow up. That bush was really fun! If you want to read more about training your plants look up topping, LST (low stress training) and supercropping. Very fun stuff.

You are probably right, it was probably the dirt and either too much watering or not enough draining, plus a little plant doesn't have much roots to absorb water. You can add drain holes to the pot to help and, only water at the most every 3 or 4 days, and maybe less. You can order soil offline, but if you looked you could probably find a specialty gardening shop that sells soil, lights, nutrients, and everything else you could ever want. They may not advertise that they're about cannabis, but trust me they know a lot ;) . I am not in a friendly place either.

Here is another picture I want to add. Just got a zoomed in shot to see the trichomes a little better.

kcaven

Had a question if you dont mind-i found 2 bags of Miracle-Gro here-
One is Moisture Control Potting Mix-one is labeled Garden Soil
Is either of those any good to start with or do you recommend something else? Having trouble finding the absolute best stuff around here so Im looking for the best I CAN GET
Thanks!!