What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights types 1-11

JohnnyChicago

Thats Insane. Heard great things about the ol Atomic NL. Wonder if they still have it...

It's Atomic NL, but inbred and I guess improved by me.

Trimming this pheno, has been like walking through a hidden door I did find in the 90s seed catalogue on page number 10.
nl1.jpg
NL1.jpg
nl1t.jpg

:)

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did I hear someone mention sunshine coast hashplant?

here is the original. Still grown in the region.

Keep in mind the micro climates of said area is epic for most pot.
20220810_165108.jpg

Thcvhunter

Veteran
There is a lot of confusion because there was a lot of misinformation/disinformation back in the day.

Greg hit me up years back when I first posted pics of my boel Hawaiian. At the time, I didnt label it as such, I dont think I even labeled it as Boel genetics.
Out of nowhere, Greg PM'ed me to say what I have is the Hawaiian sativa that Herb used to make NL5 on the islands. Because I was entrusted with seeds from boel, greg told me the whole story and admitted that he spread a lot of misinformation over the years because, well, its a seedy business.

The key around the NL crew is being a veteran or biker(which was usually a veteran). Why do bikers use a lot of chrome? To help a brother out by being able to cook up pcp.
PCP was a DoD drug used for anaesthesia, and veterans called it hell's angel because, like ketamine, it can pull you out of depression/ptsd.

NL - Steves Seattle/Tacoma Afghan (pretty sure it was Kabul)
Then, it was crossed with other lines, this made the numbered lines.

NL1 - Steve Afghan x Sam/Nevil's Afghan. Id go so far as to say this is the Sk1 afghan and pollinated NL.
NL2 - Not sure which was male or female, but its Steve's Affy x Hindu Kush. This was from the Bikers in Oregon given to Indian by his son.
NL5 - NL x BOEL Hawaiian sativa (mostly thai and oaxacan). The NL clone got sent out to the island and Herb/BOEL bred it to their Hawaiian.

I dont remember the other numbers and their lineage.

Here's the crux.
Indian was neither vet nor biker. Though his son was. Thats how he got acces to NL and the hindu kush. But, this is also why he wasn't trusted. So, he was never given the pure NL5, which the crew heralded as their best line - a clone planted late in the season would outperform any seed plant that was planted earlier in the season.
What Indian had was NL5xNL2 (or NL5xNL1, depending on which story you were given). Nevil never got the pure NL5, so he tried backdooring the crew by going to see the Indian. He was excited to get what was labeled "NL5". Too bad it wasnt pure NL5 because Nevil would go on to muddy NL5 history by selling a hybrid while he thought it was pure. Or, maybe he later found out it wasnt pure but never told anyone. The dude had quite the...hobby that affected his memory and his character, and he is known to have been seedy with other lines he released.

Much love to Greg and to all vets who ensure their brothers have good medicine so they can come home.

GoatCheese

Veteran
NL1 - Steve Afghan x Sam/Nevil's Afghan. Id go so far as to say this is the Sk1 afghan and pollinated NL.
Here’s Nevil on ”Sam’s Afghani” he used in Black Domina.

When Nevil was quite familiar with Skunk#1 and compared the Maple Leaf- Afg T with Sk1, you’d imagine that he would have noticed if the so called “Sam’s Afghani” was related to Sk1 and he doesn’t mention anything about it while describing the line

He mentioned “Sam’s Afghani” lacked potency but the Mazari Sam used in Sk1 wasn’t a weak one, so maybe they are different lines. ..i’m just speculating.

Nevil at MNS forums:

I never got any Kush from Sam. I did get another Afghan from him that was unrelated to A#1. It a was coarse large seeded variety with big calyxes, but lacking potency. I used that in the Black Domina (25%).

TPFTFW

Veteran
How would you know MAHA were you there or did you have any roll in NL no.

This hate for Nevil and any of his work you show only makes YOU and YOU alone look like a clown.
Does anyone remember the arguments about NL being started in MI on over grow?

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
There is a lot of confusion because there was a lot of misinformation/disinformation back in the day.

Greg hit me up years back when I first posted pics of my boel Hawaiian. At the time, I didnt label it as such, I dont think I even labeled it as Boel genetics.
Out of nowhere, Greg PM'ed me to say what I have is the Hawaiian sativa that Herb used to make NL5 on the islands. Because I was entrusted with seeds from boel, greg told me the whole story and admitted that he spread a lot of misinformation over the years because, well, its a seedy business.

The key around the NL crew is being a veteran or biker(which was usually a veteran). Why do bikers use a lot of chrome? To help a brother out by being able to cook up pcp.
PCP was a DoD drug used for anaesthesia, and veterans called it hell's angel because, like ketamine, it can pull you out of depression/ptsd.

NL - Steves Seattle/Tacoma Afghan (pretty sure it was Kabul)
Then, it was crossed with other lines, this made the numbered lines.

NL2 - Not sure which was male or female, but its Steve's Affy x Hindu Kush. This was from the Bikers in Oregon given to Indian by his son.
NL5 - NL x BOEL Hawaiian sativa (mostly thai and oaxacan). The NL clone got sent out to the island and Herb/BOEL bred it to their Hawaiian.

I dont remember the other numbers and their lineage.

Here's the crux.
Indian was neither vet nor biker. Though his son was. Thats how he got acces to NL and the hindu kush. But, this is also why he wasn't trusted. So, he was never given the pure NL5, which the crew heralded as their best line - a clone planted late in the season would outperform any seed plant that was planted earlier in the season.
What Indian had was NL5xNL2 (or NL5xNL1, depending on which story you were given). Nevil never got the pure NL5, so he tried backdooring the crew by going to see the Indian. He was excited to get what was labeled "NL5". Too bad it wasnt pure NL5 because Nevil would go on to muddy NL5 history by selling a hybrid while he thought it was pure. Or, maybe he later found out it wasnt pure but never told anyone. The dude had quite the...hobby that affected his memory and his character, and he is known to have been seedy with other lines he released.

Much love to Greg and to all vets who ensure their brothers have good medicine so they can come home.
"misinformation/disinformation"?

Your (dis)information is as accurate as a Chinese fortune cookie.🤦‍♂️
Honestly it's not even worth trying to correct anymore.

Last edited:

Piff_cat

we seek 2 different hashplants.
The giant football cola hashplant was brought to BC by the newfie shipbuilders back in the day. So it was no doubt a hashplant from seeds that came through the quebec ports back when the hashish pipeline was in it's hey day. The Hashplant I seek was a wide but small leafed plant with the leaves looking glossy and with red petioles and streaks in the main stem. It grew similar to a bubba kush as far as the bud structure but this plant was more like a "no stretch" OG kush as far as comparing it to todays types of plants. It smoked like fine afghan black hash and exhale left a very creamy hashy sandalwood type of flavor that stuck to the mouth and hung in the room. It was hands down some of the most potent and flavorful bud going around in private stashes in the BC lowermainland back in the day. It was right along side the NL5 though and seemed to fade away at the same time the Hashplant did. The Oregon Blueberry got crossed with something here and became what is now known as the Fraser Valley Blueberrry Hashplant. I believe Reeferman/Charles Scott knows some of the history here but have never gotten anywhere asking him. My suspicion is that the hashplant I am talking about is in the genetic makeup of Charles's Pink Kush. Just my hunch anyways.

As for NL..... Peak seeds and Jordan of the Islands have Northern Lights gear that used the BC held clone which I assume would be the "US NL5" and not the Nevilles NL5. The Peak seeds NL lines are pretty highly respected up here in Kanuckistan and I know some guys that place some very large orders every year for outdoor season.
what a great description. got some info that could help on your quest for that shiny leaf one...... nld "hashplant" from xinijiang could be responsible for this line.

these nld/semi feral hashplants are where it all started with xinijiang and tibet housing most basal cannabis members. xinijiang in particular has a very cool set of ancient terpene synthases which they share with sandalwood. the terpenes built by these enzymes are alpha bisabolol and santalene. this group of metabolites is very rare and utilize cyto450 enzymes very specific substrates highly conserved in higher plants.
alpha bisabolol is a sequiterpene created by a monoterpene synthase enzyme. after one of several isomers of bisabolol is finished, it can be further modified into santalene using the cytochrome 450 enzyme. usually these types of complicated arrangments would be found in medecinal trees such as myrrh bosweliia(franky) agarwood etc. this particular bisabolol/santalene trait is catalyzed by the plant to deal with heavy metal content in media. the plant can create many many isomers of santalene allowing very specific niche integration.

heres the cool part... both cannabis and sandlewood got this trait from the same ancestor! meaning in some deep way these 2 types are entwined. xinjiang , is home to the ugyhurs an ethnic muslim group who has been famed for their hash since the beginning. areas like yarkand, turkestan, iran even parts of tibet. like the hmong the ughyurs have been driven to different areas by the han chinese and its posited that thee movements brought their nld hashplants to northern afghanistcan tashkurgan north east iran and even morroco.

there are rare snp thc synthases found only in afghan, morrocco and xinijijang. including a mutated thc synthase found in 2700 year old drug sample. the important distinct characteristics of these plants are cbc/cbl content, oxygenated sequiterpenes with alcohol subsitutions specifically- guiaol, eudesmol, alpha bisabolol, and santalene. heres some info

1663201087975.png

indeed some CsTPS-b members contribute to sesquiterpene production in cannabis trichomes, although the TPS-b group has been previously described as including mostly mono-TPSs in other plant species (Chen et al., 2011). In sandalwood (Santalum spp.), a member of TPS-b also functions as a sesquiterpene synthase (Jones et al., 2011). It is striking that in both cannabis and sandalwood, these TPS-b members produce bisabolane-type sesquiterpenes, which may be due to similar routes of active site evolution from their respective monoterpene synthase ancestors (Gao et al., 2012)

1663200707551.png

1663200873990.png

1663200937090.png

1663201024690.png

Piff_cat

this is a pic of the 84 nl cut that swami and other pnw used to hold. i guess the person responsible for keeping her alive failed when their cat started peeing in it. cant make this shit up. anyway gas seems to have the best info on the "green clay" java/indonesian that was worked into nl to make nl5. that could mean it was part of the "hawaiian" or what not but i def think this plant comes thru in nevils cut. gas has used this cut before it died and put it to indica leaning nl5hazeC from coot in 88. i think coot made the f2s and gas popped the f3s and kept moving the line. so def indica leaning line the 84nl clone x(nl5 x haze c). from this he kept 2 mothers named A and B. mom A is the resin widow choking out almost all her seeds. dj further used this line along with atomic and peak seeds to line breed an nl5 breeding line designed like nevils to add weight drop flower time without encroaching on the better haze traits. it def did its job in the outback f1 x dj nl5 im growing.

1663215119628.png

1663215334572.png