What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

norstar genetics

Breadwizard

Update: got my Zapotec started, here's the first plant to declare sex: female. I topped it once, but one of the branches self topped, and I suspect is fascinated, as it has a flat stem and four nodes together further down.

This one is the thinnest leaf, and darkest green of this batch.
picture.php

Breadwizard

picture.php

Here's the same plant, getting into flower. The other seedling sexed as female as well. Too bad as I really wanted to F2 this strain to dig around for different individual expressions.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excited for you Bread and for me too. Wonder what the several I have going are gonna do to my head. Buds on mine are tiny, not gonna produce much. Plants are also tiny cause I use under gallon pots with soil.

Breadwizard

These are in gallon pots as well, I trained them just before I moved the grow space to another spot in the house with twice the head room, so I'll have to rethink training strategy. I'll probably get an 8th or less from each one. I did keep a clone though of each one, and plan on doing a few crosses to other Mexican heavy lines I've got planned (although it would have been nice to get a male to cross to my Purple Mexican, and First Lady clones).

Interestingly enough, the Mexican part of this cross is on phylos, and shows a connection to a cluster called dream queen, held by quite a few. I wonder where the "old gold 81" came from, perhaps through subcool? I know they shared some genetics, such as the spacedude male.

Stizo

Veteran
Would people say that Norstar genetics plants take a little longer to flower and stretch a lot? I only ask because he uses a lot of Latin American genetics. It wouldn't put me off trying them though.

Breadwizard

I've only run two lines from norstar, the Solar wind, and Zapotec I'm currently running. Solar wind didn't stretch much, (although it's urkle/Chernobyl x purple meyhem, so lots of indica in there), of my two Zapotecs, one stretched so much I thought it was male before declaring, the other barely at all.

So, no more than anyone else as far as I've seen, unless you choose specifically sativa heavy genetics, which of course will be stretchy.

Fitzera

I've only run two lines from norstar, the Solar wind, and Zapotec I'm currently running. Solar wind didn't stretch much, (although it's urkle/Chernobyl x purple meyhem, so lots of indica in there), of my two Zapotecs, one stretched so much I thought it was male before declaring, the other barely at all.

So, no more than anyone else as far as I've seen, unless you choose specifically sativa heavy genetics, which of course will be stretchy.

What are your thoughts on the solar wind? I've been sitting on a few freebies for some time now, doesnt seem a very popular strain

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am at 6 weeks flower with the Zapotec, and expect to chop in 2 weeks or so. Quick strain. Some of the plants do stretch quite a bit. The USC Oaxacan was similar in looks. Tiny buds, stretchy, wide leaves and was done in 7 or 8 weeks.

Breadwizard

It was mighty purple. I ended up giving the female away (grower said it was the frostiest he's ever run), but used the male in a few crosses. Purple definitely runs through the line, upped the frost and color in crosses, and has some good berry notes passed on.

When crossed with a Purple Mexican from CBG it had a wonderful "carnival fruit gum" flavor, and purpled up within the first three weeks of flowering.

I haven't smoked it or any of the progeny yet however.

What are your thoughts on the solar wind? I've been sitting on a few freebies for some time now, doesnt seem a very popular strain

Breadwizard

picture.php

Here's my other Zapotec female, the stretchy one that showed sex later. The leaves are thinning out now, showing thier NLD heritage. No frost yet, consequently not much smell either.

farm3r

@Yesum and @BreadWizard, Please keep your growth updated here and smoke reports later. I have a pack of Zapotec too and really interested in what you guys find.

@Yesum, wow, around 8 weeks for extreme sativas?

Breadwizard

I just learned a tasty bit of information involving the heritage of the Zapotec: the Santa Marta Colombian Gold was received through HHF/Breeder's Choice according to Norstar, as opposed to through Reeferman as I had assumed.

Peacefrog

Veteran
I came across this breeder looking for sativas available at US based banks. They have a few crosses with Santa Marta Colombian Gold and Panama Red males. The Chelumbian (UK Cheese x SMCG) and Colombian Haze (Old Mendo Haze x SMCG) sound especially interesting. These would be nice additions to the seed collection. I'm glad to see some good vibes about these guys.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I chopped at 50 days, could have gone longer but had things to do in the tent. Smoked 3 hits off one Zapotec pheno and got a strong trippy high. Smoked 4 small hits off of another one and got a super strong high. Very intense and quite trippy. Was high 3 1/2 hours off the second one. Normal is 2 hours at the most. I got a little worried that my mental health had failed or something, but just a strong and long lasting buzz.

Very satisfied so far. Have 2 more phenos to test of the Zapotec.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I emailed Norstar again, about the genetics of Zapotec. Explained that I had read of the CG being from HHF/Breeder's Choice, and asked about the Oaxacan. I asked before on the Oaxacan and was told it was a 1980 strain or thereabouts. The breeder was in Oaxaca after 2000 though, so some problem with the dates, or I lack understanding.

Just details, as the high is really all that matters in the end. It is doing the job real good for me.

farm3r

I chopped at 50 days, could have gone longer but had things to do in the tent. Smoked 3 hits off one Zapotec pheno and got a strong trippy high. Smoked 4 small hits off of another one and got a super strong high. Very intense and quite trippy. Was high 3 1/2 hours off the second one. Normal is 2 hours at the most. I got a little worried that my mental health had failed or something, but just a strong and long lasting buzz.

Very satisfied so far. Have 2 more phenos to test of the Zapotec.

That is awesome to hear as from corresponding with you in the past, you are always on the lookout for trippy and psychedelic sativas. I'm also looking for these types of extreme sativa effects.

How tall do these girls grow? Did you grow outside or in a tent? I'd like to know if I can even grow these girls in a tent. Maybe I just need to flower them from a clone and use 11/13 light schedule in order to keep the height under 6 feet?

BTW, what's the normal flowering period of Zapotec according to Norstar?

farm3r

Since we are discussing Oaxaca and Colombian Gold, have anyone tried the re-release of Red Snake by Cannabiogen? I saw a few posts by Carraxe on his recent pheno hunting but he didn't really go into detail about the smoke report. There's a couple of threads on Red Snake in the Cannabiogen section on IC.

Red Snake is supposedly Oaxaca '79 x Colombian Punto Rojo.

Latest posts

Latest posts