What's new

Noobin up a PPK

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
wow, that was such a beautiful plant!

is drip clean designed to be recirculated? i just did some reading on it and no one seems to use it recirculating.

first, you should never use drip clean in a ppk as you do not get salt buildup in the medium if used right, which means never letting the medium dry down.

drip clean works by breaking the molecular bonds of predominately P and K so it develops an affinity for those elements. when run through a system it cleans out the excess.

but what happens if there is no excess? the drip clean works anyway and strips a large amount of P and K from your system. possibly throwing nutrient substances out of balance.

i can't find any references to it being recirculated. recirculation would severely compound the problem.

please stop putting shit in your res. please just dump the res, refill with maxigrow at ec 1.2 this time and nothing else in the res.

pick all damaged material off the plant and you may be able to salvage some smoke.

how long does it take for your grow container to drain?

how often are you pulsing?

also, dtw will not grow a better plant than the ppk even with a tailpiece because there is no hydraulic hook up or pathway for diffusion. diffusion keeps nutrients in balance throughout the system.

a continuous slow motion correction of imbalances.

you have caused a nutrient lockout somehow and that is very hard to do in a ppk.

Last edited:
D

DHF

Dripclean @1ml per gal and topfed coco go hand in hand for dialed results in the traditional DTW sense Dave , but as the Dr has most likely diagnosed what`s caused your lockouts and imbalances , I`d drop it , flush and restart with lower ppm`s across the board again as he`s suggested......regardless.....

As Bobbles said........It`s good for the community to get things out in the open as to learn what NOT to do with a PPK......Hope things turn around for yas Bro......

Peace....Freds......:ying:......

thighrod

From Page 11 :

EC 3.0 PH 6.5 : both a bit high but shouldnt cause this.

3.0 is really high and that alone could be responsible for the PPK homicide. I know D9 rarely goes above 1.4 in his PPK's - you're running more than double that level. 6.5 PH would also contribute to making them sad. I would empty all and try again at 1.2 EC and 5.6 PH...

D

DaveTheNewbie

I took another photo today :
picture.php

And its gotten worse.

As an aside I managed to flood the room with the PPK last night too. When i replaced the control res water i added a heater into it as well. While there i fucked around with the overflow valve that stops the pump pushing too much water into the bucket. Now I am pushing too much water into the bucket. Flooded it.

Way to be a trail blazer Dave! Now we can all learn from this! :joint:

way to fuck shit up in a way that nobody else ever considered?

3.0 is really high and that alone could be responsible for the PPK homicide. I know D9 rarely goes above 1.4 in his PPK's - you're running more than double that level. 6.5 PH would also contribute to making them sad. I would empty all and try again at 1.2 EC and 5.6 PH...

I am putting IN EC 1.2. Whats EC 3.0 is the water thats in the control res. This is build up from the recirculation.

So due to a series of fuckups :
the veg chamber is empty (all my clones died to a heat wave)
one side of the flower chamber is empty (the veg plant with zeolite got chucked)
and the other side of the flower chamber has this mess in it.

I win at life.

PS i am hiring myself out as a tester to test any setup for weak spots. If they are there i will find them :)

bobblehead

Veteran
:huggg: I still love you Dave.

Keep your head up bro.

Sometimes things have to be at their worst... before you realize what it is YOU need to do. I'm half-way across the world from you, and so are the rest of these assholes. Nobody knows the answers better than you Dave. Look inside yourself and you'll find them.

Oh hey btw I had a small flood in my basement this morning b/c some of my blumat pots dried out, and I just refilled the reservoir hoping they'd shut off... and I forgot to check on them... lol... Nothing too bad... but I feel your pain. Bad memories.

thighrod

I am putting IN EC 1.2. Whats EC 3.0 is the water thats in the control res. This is build up from the recirculation.

So due to a series of fuckups :
the veg chamber is empty (all my clones died to a heat wave)
one side of the flower chamber is empty (the veg plant with zeolite got chucked)
and the other side of the flower chamber has this mess in it.

I win at life.

PS i am hiring myself out as a tester to test any setup for weak spots. If they are there i will find them :)

OK, it sounds like you're on your way then. Didn't mean to come off as a dick, haha. Good luck in your endeavors, and may your reverse Midas touch only be temporary. :tiphat:

D

DaveTheNewbie

:huggg: I still love you Dave.

Keep your head up bro.

Sometimes things have to be at their worst... before you realize what it is YOU need to do. I'm half-way across the world from you, and so are the rest of these assholes. Nobody knows the answers better than you Dave. Look inside yourself and you'll find them.

Oh hey btw I had a small flood in my basement this morning b/c some of my blumat pots dried out, and I just refilled the reservoir hoping they'd shut off... and I forgot to check on them... lol... Nothing too bad... but I feel your pain. Bad memories.

Well this was always a hobby not a business, and i always liked to try new things to see what happens. But i did move to the PPK for a does of reliability that the blumats lacked. Still it seems that i am the only special creature that has managed to really fuck up a PPK yet, and so well. Im too hung over to understand what D9 wrote about a DTW PPK being a bad idea, but DTW is pretty bulletproof, and even i couldnt fuck that up ...

OK, it sounds like you're on your way then. Didn't mean to come off as a dick, haha. Good luck in your endeavors, and may your reverse Midas touch only be temporary. :tiphat:

reverse midas touch? you mean my brown thumb? :)

D

DaveTheNewbie

wow, that was such a beautiful plant!

yeah i know :(

is drip clean designed to be recirculated? i just did some reading on it and no one seems to use it recirculating.

no idea. Ive done a decent search with little results as well. It seems to be the dogs bollocks in DTW and blumats, it never occoured to me not to use it in PPKs.

please stop putting shit in your res. please just dump the res, refill with maxigrow at ec 1.2 this time and nothing else in the res.

pick all damaged material off the plant and you may be able to salvage some smoke.

i suspect its past that point, but i will try.

how long does it take for your grow container to drain?

a very long time. even with 3 tailpipes its a very slow drain. Thats why its so damn easy to flood.

how often are you pulsing?

1 min every 2 hours

also, dtw will not grow a better plant than the ppk even with a tailpiece because there is no hydraulic hook up or pathway for diffusion. diffusion keeps nutrients in balance throughout the system.

what if you had the tailpiece and the bottom res in place with a 3 inch air gap, but instead of recirculating from the the bottom res you ran to waste. It seems like a winner idea to me.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We'll. . Ain't that but a bitch... Damn bro, sorry to see her turn on ya...
My whole 1st season turned south due ta Borg and my attempt to deal with em..
One chit pill to swallow-for sure...

Still.. Read your thread from post one till here and I'd imagine more ta come..
There's GOLD in here..
Knowledge & experiences last longer than nugs (not that this makes shit pills taste better)

Just...

There are growers that will see (this and that)
Then..
There are growers that have seen (this and that)

Ya didn't fk up your PPK...
Ya fked ya feeding (in) a PPK..

How many people ya think have never Fked their feedings...?...

So..
Smoke some smoke... Simplify and cut ya self some slack..

You just became a better grower as
I dont imagine this will keep you down under..:biggrin:

----- :alien::ying::alien: -----

D

DaveTheNewbie

I had another look tonight after work and its dead. All leaves are gone.
I have no idea if its worth cutting down and drying or just binning it.
The reason i flooded the tent was because i didnt put the feed ring back on the plant, I left it on the floor when i added the water heater.

Because i had flooded everything i turned the pump off for the last 24 hours, and its interesting to notice that the coco was still nice and wet. The wicking aspect of the PPK system does work very nicely.

So my question is this : how much difference does the pulse feed make? AKA if i only pulsed once a day and relied on mostly wicking how much difference would it make to final yield?

Mister_D

Veteran
I had another look tonight after work and its dead. All leaves are gone.
I have no idea if its worth cutting down and drying or just binning it.
The reason i flooded the tent was because i didnt put the feed ring back on the plant, I left it on the floor when i added the water heater.

Because i had flooded everything i turned the pump off for the last 24 hours, and its interesting to notice that the coco was still nice and wet. The wicking aspect of the PPK system does work very nicely.

So my question is this : how much difference does the pulse feed make? AKA if i only pulsed once a day and relied on mostly wicking how much difference would it make to final yield?

Sorry about your luck dave, just remember even the great heath robinson had his share of mishaps. Hell I've probably killed more plants from stupid mistakes than you've grown in your career. It's just a part of the process bro :comfort:. Keep in mind, your loss is a very valuable contribution to the community. Not that that will put something in your pipe, but I for one am grateful you shared this information, even though I don't use drip clean. Now as for the plant in question. The first time I ever made hash oil I used a plant that was on week 5 of 12. Honestly didn't think it would make a decent product (due to only being on week 5), but I was just testing the method. The plant hermied so it needed to be killed. Anyway made the hash, and though it's not as good as what I get from a finished plant, I was very impressed with potency and taste. So it might be worth your time to take that plant and make hash. Something is better than nothing right?

I'll let d9 or somebody with more experience with wicks give you a better answer to your question, but it will definitely have a negative effect on yield, if solely relying on the wick for watering. Also you will need to do top feedings (probably weekly) by hand to wash the excess salt build up out of the media. My recommendation is to fix your drain issue and stick to using the ppk as it's intended. I could spend an hour explaining the science behind it, but fact of the matter is it works really well when implemented properly as a complete system.

Keep your head up and move forward is all you can do :biggrin:. Besides you have one the best technical support teams known to man backing you up every step of the way :friends:.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did wick only on my 1st 4 ladies.. Works great yet slow growth compared to pulsing.
More on par with soil growth rate VS hydro ..

Pulsing = Bigger and faster

That was what I came away with at least...

Of course, this was in the old style PPK with a smart pot using coco/perlite.

D

DaveTheNewbie

Drip Clean

Drip Clean

ok here is my literature review of drip clean:

http://www.house-garden.us/products/additives/drip-clean said:
Drip Clean is safe for all plants and is designed to be used with either tap or filtered water. Apply only .4 ml per gallon of feed solution as an additive at every feeding

http://house-garden.com.au/products_additives_drip_clean.php said:
1ml of Drip Clean will treat 10ltr of nutrient solution.

http://www.house-garden.ca/products/drip-clean said:
You’ll love this, 0.1mL / 1litre of water is all that is required.

http://www.house-garden.us/faq said:
Drip Clean is a completely safe agent for your plants provided it is used in the right proportions.

Can you add too much Drip Clean? I might have accidentally doubled the drip clean in my last reservoir fill up. At more than twice the recommended dose, I would start over with your reservoir.

Drip Clean is safe to use in all grow systems and mediums.

Citizen024 - drip clean dosent shock the plants a all, unless you use more then recommended for a period of time
HIGH Alltitude - only down side to drip clean is when i used way more then recommended for almost an entire crop. the plants really didnt like it. but i have 8 successful grows using drip clean, my yields are skyrocketing using this product...

Now there is a thing im going to call the blumat ratio. People running blumats in coco are using Dripclean at 1ml/g. Lots of people doing it successfully. Ive also read of people doing this in DTW coco as well with success. Its been working for me before the PPK / recirculating problems. I was actually using 10ml/30l which is slightly stronger than 1ml/g. Its about triple strength compared to the recommended @ 0.1ml/l

Im pretty happy to put the death of that PPK plant down to dripclean overdose.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
weird that it went limp similar to how it a plant does when it drys up.
I'd be curious to see what the roots are like when you pull her out.

If it was the drip clean, I wonder why it took so long to cause crop failure. Plant looked pretty good for most of the grow before it took a turn for the worst.

Keep at it Dave... I've been struggling with decent crops this past year myself. Not full out crop failure, but frustrating times none the less.

Just be happy this is only a hobby for you and you can pick yourself up from this one and get some more smoke in the works. Catastrophes like this hurt even worse when high dollar light bills depend on successful harvests.

Whats up next? Going to try the coco again w/o the drip clean, or are you going to try another media? Were you ever able to get that zeolite run-off washed down to your input?

D

DaveTheNewbie

picture.php

the roots didnt go into the tailpipe at all, but the tailpipes were VERY solid with coco. I couldnt push them out with fingers, i had to hose them out. Next time around i think using hydroton or something similar would help this.

right now my head says just do what D9 tells you to, but my heart says invent the DTW PPK and rule the world

D

DHF

I started to say something about that "hydraulic plug" D9`s spoken about numerous times with too dense a medium that packs like coco can in the tailpieces , but the dripclean recirculating sounds plausible as well , but.....

If the medium wouldn`t drain in a timely manner then roots were standing in solution for waaaay too long and that stinks of root rot/roots drowning from lack of O2 from bein 'overwatered" , without any drying period or pullin O2 through the rootzone as needed before the next pulse feed.......I`m just sayin......

Look at HL45`s avatar cuz that`s how a PPK setup`s supposed to look like with a healthy draining rootzone.......anyways......

Is what it is regardless , but with no roots in the tailpieces the hydraulic plug theory rings true to me.......

My 2 centavo`s Dave.....Sorry Bro......All things in time and next time will be better IF yas can get that fluid exchange a lot faster like D9`s 3 minute equilibrium exchange.....

What`re your thoughts after seeing the rootmass pic D9 ?.......

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:.....

bobblehead

Veteran
weird that it went limp similar to how it a plant does when it drys up.
I'd be curious to see what the roots are like when you pull her out.

If it was the drip clean, I wonder why it took so long to cause crop failure. Plant looked pretty good for most of the grow before it took a turn for the worst.

I would say that the plant was living off of its stored carbs and other mobile nutrients. Notice how the leaves cannibalized themselves? The plant yellowed out, and then curled up and died. It was starved to death. I really think the dripclean explanation has validity.

Latest posts

Latest posts