What's new

Nomaad's Outdoor Adventure 2009 v1.2

2uptown

im posting it up

im posting it up

i talked to john and he did give the cut to a few folks in colorado and one of them must have snuck it out to portland. i still remember when it came around and how it was my first strain ever to get over two pounds off of 1k. like two plants and over two pounds, awsome for the early 90's. i originally obtained the cut in portland. ive heard of the cut now being called the hawthorn cough after the hawthorn district in portland. greedy dirt heads just had to name it for them selves. LOL well im over 50 posts so hopefully they will let me pm people, but i dont know. ill wait till tomorrow and see if im good. peace

nomaad

Veteran
LOL... i think I know those greedy dirt heads! Obviously I'm not going to drop names, but some of the biggest arseholes I met in my year living there were running the cough.

There was this guy with an underground techno/house record store in his basement... yay, cough. boo, schmucks. I just heard tell that those guys who were bawlin' back then are in bad shape right now.

Nice one on the 50 posts. Took me way longer. But still no PM's... that is odd. Maybe its 100?

Ipsissimus

nomaad, beautiful grow and respect for your style :)

what are your thoughts on automated dark period setups for greenhouses? I couldn't find much at all. I saw one tent deally that was like a robotic arm but it wouldn't scale well. Would it be worthwhile? I tried to flip two rooms on 12/12 manually once, and I screwed up a few times...it was tough, was it a PITA for you?

thanks

nomaad

Veteran
Ips: thanks for the praise.

I am all about an automated system for next year. I have always had a Sherpa in the garden, or my wife to help pull tarp. Its a pain in the ass. We call it "Bleep Bleep, Bloop Bloop" around here, because that is the sound of the alarm on my mobile telling me its time to pull tarp. My kids are away for 2 weeks and I can't sleep in past 7:57!! PITA. yep.

So... you probably saw the grobot. Essentially a frame for your tarp that is anchored at the ground level in the axial center of the circle of which your hoop house (HH) is a semi circle. (Following me?) Your tarp is bunched up like a closed awning on the gound on one side of the HH and swings over the top to land on the other side of the HH. In the case of the grobot, this is powered by a motor. You could also have the same system but manually operated by one person.

To build a motorized system based on this concept you would have to meet some conditions. For example, the frame would have to be rigid and the light dep fabric light enough for the motor, or the motor powerful enough for the weight of the tarp.

ForeverFlowering.com makes a lightweight breathable fabric specifically for the purpose of photoperiod control that was originally (unless i missed it) only available on their pimp-ass one touch light dep greenhouses... I think those bad boys start at about $30K for a 10x10 They have taken prices off their website, so I'm not really sure. Anyway, they are now selling the material by itself, but you have to contact them for a quote. Part of me wants to invest in a couple of their greenhouses, but I know I can do something so much cheaper on the DIY tip. might not be quite the pimp diggity plant mansion as the FF product, but it will be cheaper.

I'm not sure if I understand your 12/12 manual question. Were you trying to flip the rooms so that one of the two was always on? How did you screw up? Just by getting stuck in traffic and not making it home in time? Or did you have the day/night confused between the two rooms?

Ipsissimus

screwed it up running late, sleeping in. I wasn't living there either so that didn't help. I was flip flopping rooms, using the same ballasts.

maybe like a poly tube track system going long ways, one motor pulling a chain and some pulleys, flexible cloth. 6 mil black plastic? or the short way with long ribs, maybe a roller?

picture.php

that line to the motor would probably go over the top, not through the greenhouse

T

theJointedOne

Part of me wants to invest in a couple of their greenhouses, but I know I can do something so much cheaper on the DIY tip. might not be quite the pimp diggity plant mansion as the FF product, but it will be cheaper.

I am doing the same thing next year. DIY is the way to go. We used to run large 30' long homemade greenhouses, with woodstove and running spring water. Lined the back with 55 galllon drums full of water to regulate temps. Suplemental lighting, damm...memories.........

great job Nomaad, loving the jars already!! your lucky!!

nomaad

Veteran
screwed it up running late, sleeping in. I wasn't living there either so that didn't help. I was flip flopping rooms, using the same ballasts.

maybe like a poly tube track system going long ways, one motor pulling a chain and some pulleys, flexible cloth. 6 mil black plastic? or the short way with long ribs, maybe a roller?

that line to the motor would probably go over the top, not through the greenhouse

The tracks would be hoop shaped... fabric on the inside of the plastic... seems like it would work... but what about the ends?

Ipsissimus

keep em black, position them parallel to the path of the sun so they don't block much light. keeping it light proof would be tricky! lead liners to keep it flush with the ground?

Ipsissimus

i got it - a triangle rail setup over the poly tube instead of the parabola shape would be better, because the straight rails would be easier to keep light proof (tarp overhang) than that curvy shape, and the rope to the motor would follow that exact plane, so you could put a open pulley at the top for the rope.

picture.php

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
wow what great discussion...I really miss being away from the mag

my worry about the grobot was if it would completly black it out. Ends and all. But I guess leaving the ends covered (I'm using panda film for this now) would make things a lot easier.

TJO- the the drums of h20 keep temps warmer in winter? I've used propane heaters, but not under tarp completly sealed of course.

T

theJointedOne

TJO- the the drums of h20 keep temps warmer in winter? I've used propane heaters, but not under tarp completly sealed of course.

Fisher- Water takes an incredible amount of energy to freeze or boil. Using large drums of water regulates tempatures.

nomaad

Veteran
In the winter, you wouldn't be under tarp. you'd be supplementing light, not restricting it.

3rd I

Nomaad congrats on the let dep harvest, looks great, excellent job bro :D

Not a DIY guy myself...i have been looking at the grobots and FF for a while now...either or and you'll make back the cost on the first harvest...Grobots look a little sketchy thoough...FF looks like paradise.....CO2, climate control, etc...oh it would be sooooo nice...hopefully next year

3rd I

Last time I looked it was 40K not sure what options that included though...most likely none...i'd probably add all the options myself anyway

nomaad

Veteran
i got it - a triangle rail setup over the poly tube instead of the parabola shape would be better, because the straight rails would be easier to keep light proof (tarp overhang) than that curvy shape, and the rope to the motor would follow that exact plane, so you could put a open pulley at the top for the rope.

Thanks for the visuals. You a designer? Engineer? Why are you so fast with the visual aids? I am asking for a non-creepy reason.