What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nomaad's Outdoor Adventure 2009 v1.2

nomaad

Veteran
Thanks for the support, Strains.

After we pull tarp in the morning, I drag a couple of *extra* plants out from between the 65 gallon'ers so they don't get shaded out by their ever-growing sisters.

These are the ladies that would not come out of flower no matter how many times we plucked them off. At a point we potted them right into bags of Roots soil and stuck em in the dep. The hardcore deadheading they received have turned these into real ugly-beauties (anybody know the Thelonius Monk cut by that name?)... The growth on these two plants is kind of stunted, twisted, gnarled and spikey-looking. Just not pretty.

But the flowers? Oh... the flowers.

2009_0701-Garden-009.jpg

Brutalized Northern Lights (Mendo pheno-1998) day 12 in lite dep

All the ladies seemed to love their feed last night. The Blue Dream in the full season garden is more vigorous than anything else in the garden. Its not my biggest plant, but originally it was one of my smallest.

In the image below you will see three plants in 200gal containers marked A, B and C.

bdComp.jpg

They are, in order of their letters: Arcata Trainwreck (edit-NOT. more like snocap), Blue Dream and Tahoe OG Kush. They were all given to me as recently rooted cuts when all of the other plants were rootbound in 2 and 3 gallon pots under a 1000 MH and a couple of 4xT5's.

Its difficult to make out from that perspective... I'll go down and take some better ones later, but the TW is obviously the least vigorous of the three (though no slouch) and the Blue Dream is going to be just huge.

So, I am really interested in opinions about the quantity of nute soup I fed the ladies last night. it was 2.5gallons to the 65s in flower and about 5 gallons to the 200's. ppms were around 1100

Last edited:

nomaad

Veteran
I pulled this off one of my True Headband plants in the light dep. There are maybe 6 more leaves like this on the one plant and none visible on another of the same genetics five feet away.

2009_0701PMdefleaf.jpg

Best I can do is a boron deficiency... and that is comparing it to the photo in Ed Rosenthal's Garden Saver book. I have a cervantes bible somewhere... Which toilet did I leave it on... Garden Saver says the boron def is super rare.

Does it look like burn? Not the pics of burn in Garden Saver...

It could also be a reaction to some bad human energy in our garden the last few days. Had to ask the guy who has been helping me to leave... a process that has involved a few days of high drama. Think: passive aggressive hunger strikes. What my dad would have called "cutting off your nose to spite your face." My wife and I worked swiftly and together (this is a new thing we're trying) to nip this shit in the bud and the guy, bad juju and all, got dropped off with his belongings at a curb in Santa Rosa this evening and I was back home in time to pull tarp.

So, if its not boron and its not Toxic Martyr Juju Residue, what could it be? Any thoughts?

tamio

No kidding SpoCannabis... I've been reading for so long my eyes are droopy! Great thread! Lots of info.... too kewl!

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Pretty pink flowers there...what is that, mendo purps x NL?

Jazz fan eh? I know I've heard that tune before, gotta look it up...

I've grown blue dream, indoors before and it turned out awesome. Quick growing, super branchy, always thought it'd go nuts outside. Good to hear she's doin well.

I don't claim to know much about ppms and measuring of nutes...as an organic guy I just kinda wing it and hope things come out alright.

re: leaf issues; I'm not sure what that is, but a chem3 in my light dep is showing the same thing. Headband and chem3, being among the same 'family' makes me wonder...
Almost looks like sun burn>>>had a big fuckup here the other day, a chemD checked out on me when it was 106- I apparantly neglected to keep it's rootzone soaked and all the fans turned brown and crispy within a few hrs, looked like your leaf x10...can't rule out bad juju though

Sorry to hear about the drama. As I'm sure you've found out, it can be difficult working with people sometimes. Extra help is nice, but differing opinions can make things tough. Hope you can still pull tarp easy enough.

jakezking

nomaad, I wish I had some answers to your questions, but you've already well exceeded my understanding of growin' the green. Until recently, I only used off-the-shelf Lowes/Wal-Mart/Home Depot style nutrients, and have only begun to experiment with some better nutrients. Sometimes simplicity is a good thing though - all of your presents from the Nute Santa would only serve to confuse me more, and I'd probably only stick with a few at a time, maybe adding more here and there as I learned a bit more. With that said, your plants look pretty flippin' healthy to me. The spots on those leaves is a bit troubling, but it may be that a couple of your strains simply like to eat a bit less than the others; maybe just try backing off a bit on those showing a bit of burn? Although, it could be as fisher stated - simply excessive heat causing the leaves to dry up.

I look forward to watching you learn throughout this grow. I wish you much continued best luck, and I look forward to seeing your Rippin' Choco Lab! I hope you and your family are well and that y'all have a safe and enjoyable 4th!

1000ARMSofKALI

jjjjjeeejeje you are newbee, but going like an oldie, wonderful garden:yoinks:nomaad!

nice choice of genetics also and i see organic sh@t, intant karma to you...

keep it up!

kali

rasjano

hi bro...
am in love of yours Northern Lights (Mendo pheno-11 year old mom):yeahthats
...can you tell us more about this laidy????????...

best wishes from chile
regards
rasjano:abduct:

nomaad

Veteran
I will try to find out more about about the Pink NL. When she was given to me she was just called "NL" and I was told the age of the mom and who it came from. I will see what more i can find out.

Very nice grow. Mine also went too far into flower this year. Out of 9 only one was significantly stunted. We gave them all some BioCanna Rhioz...something (for roots) and it took right off. They're all doing fine now.
Those full term plants will probably get extremely big. You might want to put them in cages, next month would be ok so long as there's no major winds before then. The heavy winds and rain that we get in nor cali will break branches everywhere. Even w/o the weather, once the buds get weight, they need support.
My favorite cages are made from "pasture fencing". It comes in 4'x330' rolls. You cut it to length (we use 16'), wrap the plant w/about a foot overlap, secure it with zip ties, then secure it to the ground with tent stakes or whatever.

http://icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=15809&d=1246460940

nomaad

Veteran
Thanks GG. You and Fisher already had me convinced. I am going to put the cages up over the next few days.

rasjano, no more pics, but I had a visit today from Weed Santa. He brought me a couple of 24L containers of Massive, 1 of Finisher and one that may be called Aus Formula or something like that. All by Green Planet. The Massive is reported to be frikking amazing and soon to be getable in California. Possibly by the time full season plants start flowering. It is called an "Organic Additive"... tyring to figure out exactly what that means.

Also, Santa came with not only gifts but some wisdom as well. He thinks the problem (photo of leaf) is rust and that I should do a foliar spray with GH Subculture B and if that fails, Serenade. Also, as the problem is only happening in my light dep, I should probably figure out some way to get some air moving around under the tarp. So I did that foliar before pulling tarp... unfortunately, I also noticed some kind of new tip burn all over one of the strains in there. I will take pics in the AM. I also watered some Piranha and Tarantula into the light dep pots.

Oh, rasjano. The reason I started talking about weed santa in the first place was cuz he confirmed that the "NL" is just NL. A bunch of NL seeds were cracked and there was a heavy yielding pink pheno that was saved. Unfortunately, its a stunted little bitch and will probably not yield more than 2 oz's

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
I am pulling up a seat!!!

Your really showing how much of a noob you are, BY growing plants that are already beastly..
Jesus, you have some nice genetics to work with, be grateful my friend.

Have a good and safe season, and a ultra harvest!

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Hey nomaad I'm with you on it being a problem with still air in the light dep all night. Got a few others in there showing it too. Heard of some doing 5pm-5am by tarping then pulling it off after dark...think I'll just run a fan in there at night. Should be easy for you as it doesn't seem like you're off grid? My Honda eu2000 is quiet enough to run all night 30' away and not be of bother. Good detective work though, think this should make them happier :)

I'll have to look into those new goodies weed santa brought, sounds promising...

What strain did you notice leaf tip burn on?

Be sure to get up some pictures after everything is all caged up. Think you'll be happy going that route, but don't make em too small in diameter, I like GG's method.

nomaad

Veteran
So are u doing the laptop hooked up to a cellphone/modem thing? Or did u manage to get some wireless broadband up there?

I didn't get pix this morning of the tip burn. Its on the "skunk" plants. I'll photograph this morning. Seems like no new rust spots since the Subculture B application. I'll de a more thorough check tomorrow. I was gone all day today picking up my new helper.

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
iPhone S brah...no 3G up here but actually getting 4 bars now. You know of a way I can hook my PowerBook up to this thing and get that online? Would be sweet...

Hope the fan works, though I'm thinking serenade or subculture(is this ogan?) would be cheaper and more 'green' than burning 87 octane all night for the next couple months. Keep us posted on if that continues to work.

I also need directions to the helper mill. Need one with no memory whatsoever :)

nomaad

Veteran
since AT&T is worthless in my area (cuz I would love an iPhone- i can use it as a DJ mixer for traktor on my macbook), I am on Verizon. I can just plug my phone into my computer via USB and it pops up as a modem. Pretty sweet.

I would imagine that there is a way to do it with an iPhone. might have to get the right app to make it happen.

subculture B is just a beneficial microorganism product.

from their own product description:

"SubCulture, from General Hydroponics, is a revolutionary fifty-two soil microorganism blend that will increase vitality and yield in all plants. The unique microbial blend of Bacillus, Streptomycetes, Actinomycetes, Psuedomonas and Trichoderma fungi colonize in the root zone, and media, to form a symbiotic relationship with the plant. These organisms secrete natural growth hormones and enhancers that are available to the plant through the root zone. SubCulture means robust healthy plants with strong, healthy root systems that are resistant to environmental stresses."

I am going to buy Serenade too, just to have it on deck. I am going to get two cheap box fans in each dep tent. I'd really love to do it proper... bury some non reflective ducting and get fresh air circulating in and out of the tent.

I am scared to try opening it after dark... i feel like it would be stressful for the ladies to have complete dep and then add some light.

I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow night with the cheap fans. I could probably borrow some gear from friends' dormant indoor setups and do it right. I once did the math on air exchange when my light dep was going to be 60 ft long, covered in plastic, carbon filtered for odor control (i have neighbors) and be capable of full air exchange in 8 seconds... in my fantasy, i was also going to use several 109$ walmart air conditioners to control the temp in there. Needless to say, I stopped mixing crack rocks into my cannabis and decided to just keep it simple.

Latest posts

Latest posts