What's new

Noise Problems - Valueline 435 CFM Fan

clp

Fans also work much better when pulling air through.. It's not just the resistance from the filter that I'm talking about.
I also don't really technically need to worry about the space where my C.F. is hanging at. That area is already @ or above the level that the light will be shining at. Hopefully my plants don't get that tall and/or if they do some serious training will be needed :)

I think I'm going to look more into the insulated box idea. I love having this powerful of a fan cooling my light but the noise is just a bit too much. Hopefully this box will help.
Anyone have a good DIY link?

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Fans also work much better when pulling air through.. It's not just the resistance from the filter that I'm talking about.
I also don't really technically need to worry about the space where my C.F. is hanging at. That area is already @ or above the level that the light will be shining at. Hopefully my plants don't get that tall and/or if they do some serious training will be needed :)

I think I'm going to look more into the insulated box idea. I love having this powerful of a fan cooling my light but the noise is just a bit too much. Hopefully this box will help.

This may be true, but you are pulling/pushing through like 6 feet of duct, it wouldn't matter at all. Although that was directed at the guy with the can75 in his 4x4. WTF!? That's like half of his space.

For you the best bet might be what I have set up

I have 1 8in fan cooling a 4x8 tent with 2k and a 5x5 tent with 1k. AND it pulls through and is completely, I mean totally silent.

Basically a wood box, I built mine out of 3/4 mdf and it works like a dream. Also a sure way to make sure ZERO smell escapes.

picture.php

Just imgaine this with only two holes in it. Or one of you really want but it is just as easy to add an extra active exhhaust out of one of the many holes in the tent and double your ventilation.

intotheunknown

Veteran

have you also thought about the fact that the ambient air temperature being brought into your space changes quite often, especially coming into the summer. having a speed controller also allows you to make it adjustable due to that factor. i highly recommend one.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
noise prob;

noise prob;

hiya cip, you might want to give some insulated ducting a go, it can be expensive depending how much you need! but it definately reduces noise levels also trying to keep your ducting straight as possible, try to not bend etc, hope that helps regards 944s2

First I heard my filter takes up 25% of my grow space then I hear 50%.
Its more like 10%-15% as its an oversized 4x4 with a square footage of over 20sqft. Internal measurements of my Sun Hut are 54"x54".
My Can75 on a table measuring 18"x15" does not take up 25%-50% of my floor space.

As I said I have used both a Can33 and Can50 in the past and have had odor issues. Hell I'm almost having odor issues with this Can75. My grass smells crazy strong! I've been working with some very strong smelling strains for more than a few years now.
Even friends with the same strains do not have the same smell issues I have had. And none of them use carbon filters as large as I do.

I love stinky buds and everything I do in my garden is to increase potency and flavors/smell. Oversized filters help with safety concerns do to odors.
Stop hatin'

Did the math. My Can75 takes up UNDER 10% of my floor space! I flower 17 girls in 3gal containers under a 600 or 1000 watt hps depending on the time of year in this tent.
25%-50%? Think first! The Can75 is under 18" in diameter.

GOOD info, thanks guys. For Clp, that guy haze put down a good link for a box, i also use a valueline fan, if you don't decide to do anything, i'll post some pics when im done.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Did the math. My Can75 takes up UNDER 10% of my floor space! I flower 17 girls in 3gal containers under a 600 or 1000 watt hps depending on the time of year in this tent.

uh I didn't say 50%. And if it's 18" diameter it is around .18 of your space or a 5th! Come on think! Lol come on
man you could easily fit More plants in
there. Why would you want that thing in
there? What are the benefits? You could increase your efficency by almost 20% just by moving that oversized filter out of there

clp

Thanks a ton man!
I went to the Hydro Store and picked up a speed controller today. Hope it works well :)
If it's still too loud I think I will go with the Box. It will be nice to control the ambient temps.

uh I didn't say 50%. And if it's 18" diameter it is around .18 of your space or a 5th! Come on think! Lol come on
man you could easily fit More plants in
there. Why would you want that thing in
there? What are the benefits? You could increase your efficency by almost 20% just by moving that oversized filter out of there
I not trying to pollute this thread with bs but 54"x54" is 20.25sq ft.
18"x18" is 2.25sq ft or 11% of my floor space.
The box idea that has been stated does seem like a great idea and I rated the post positive with the link earlier today.
However I am disabled and need to keep things as simple as possible...I don't think the box is for me.
I do not live in a medical state so my ass is on the line here and I cannot have the security risk cannabis odors can cause. From my experience the more carbon the better, period.
Also I grow for personal use only to help manage my chronic pain, I'm not doing this for profit.
Thanks for the input. And I apologize for polluting this thread. I was just trying to show the measures I have taken to quiet my indoor garden down. Peace.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
1.5 ft. 1.5x1.5=2.25 not 3 EDIT: I feel stupid
I'm glad your design works for you, however a lot of growers would kill for a 10%
gain. Cheers!

Take my box design seriously, I have set up about 7 different tent setups ab this box is perfect forthe application!

OP... Glad you figured your problem out sorry for the distraction

Last edited:
1.5x1.5=3square feet? Get the calculator out and use the x not the +.
Again I said I like the box idea, but its not for me at this time. It would allow me to flower one more plant. One more plant when I have been flowering 17. Now that sure does not sound like 10-20% And it was another poster that used 50% number.
And again I do not grow for profit.
Did you read the part where I mentioned I was disabled?
I know your just trying to help just as I was trying to help the starter of this thread.
I have nothing more to contribute and I'm done polluting the thread.

intotheunknown

Veteran
hey man glad you took the advice and went and picked one up. you wont regret it. lets us know how it works out for you.

clp

Yea I will man, hopefully it works quite well and doesn't kill my fan!
It was only $20 @ the local hydro store too - man that place has KILLER deals. Price match everything and they're giving me 10% discount on all my purchases since I got such a big system :)

speedyrpg

if you are only cooling 1 light put the fan on a speed control! it will cut down on ur noise & u don't lose that much air flow!