What's new

Nobody has "real" kush anymore..Canadian version

little-soldier

Hello guys, I am from Canada and we used to have purple kush and OG kush around here in 2010 and both tasted very similar. then it went commercial and now, nobody has it anymore. Since then I have been on a quest to get that kush back and I bought seeds everywhere and grew them out but nothing comes even close to it. Although I did get that lemon funk everyone keeps raving about in the states.

Turns out the USA kush is VERY different than the Canadian version

USA Kush: tall, lanky and that damn lemon taste (which I am really not a fan of). plants thrive in hotter climates. Sativa leaning with thinner leaves

Canadian Kush: short squat with a musky and floral taste. plants grow better in colder climates. Indica leaning with fat leaves

I am sure most people from the states have never tried the Canadian kush and its a damn shame because I am sure it would still be around today and there would be a whole debate as to which one is the original.

Ya'll about the lemon and we're all about that muskyness

I know some of you will think we just had a bubba kush because its a short and squat plant but I've had bubba before and its one of the best weed I have ever smoked but I don't think its related to the kush we had around here.

So in conclusion we have a very different idea/experience of what the real OG kush is here in Canada compared to you guys in the states.

If any of you have any idea of what I am talking about and know where to find the Canadian version of OG Kush we had just over 10-15 years ago before it mysteriously dissapeared then please let me know because I am done with those darn seeds.

Ca++

Your account of the American one, doesn't sound like the Kush we have in the EU.
Obviously, the Kush comes from the Kush. Not the EU, Canada, or the US. Though the EU is at least connected.

I guess it grows to an average height, with big leaves, and has never made me think of lemons. I have some right here, and have done the coffee shop rounds 30 years back, when it was popular. It's not a lemon sat leaning plant. I would of put it closer to hash making.

Perhaps someone that's actually been there would be best qualified to answer

Canadian Kush is Pink Kush. Purple Kush is a purp flavor. OG is sour cedar. The lemon is from Chem. None of them are kush. Maybe Master Kush, reminds you of Kush and a different softer lemon.

OG Kush doesn't mean Kush in the states. Hindu Kush means kush. But not Purple Hindu Kush, that's a purp.

xtsho

Kush originated from the Hindu Kush region of Pakistan and Afghanistan. A Canadian Kush is just going to be genetics that originated from that region. I'm in the USA and I've grown many Kush strains over the years. One thing I can say is that they were never tall and lanky. Anything with that growth trait is likely not a true Kush but a hybrid.

There are many options for getting "True" Kush strains. ACE has a Pakistani Chitral Kush and The Real Seed Company has several selections from that region as well. There are many other options available.

Also, since OG Kush originated in the United States the US OG Kush is going to be the real one and not what you may have grown in Canada.

There are plenty of "Real" Kush strains available. They might not be what you remember and are looking for but they are most definitely real.

FluxCherry

Cush landraces vs the Kush that was worked in the US. Sadly the old heads would call anything that smoked and looked like a kush, Kush. Im sure its around. I have a nice peat moss swamp funk pheno of OG kush. Through DNA genetics. also got a very Citrus Mitruss almost tropical OG pheno out of it too. 12 seeds. 2 keeps. only some interset traits in the offspirng. over all managable and pretty damn good. i bought two og kush clones online and they both let me down compared to the seed plants.

little-soldier

Cush landraces vs the Kush that was worked in the US. Sadly the old heads would call anything that smoked and looked like a kush, Kush. Im sure its around. I have a nice peat moss swamp funk pheno of OG kush. Through DNA genetics. also got a very Citrus Mitruss almost tropical OG pheno out of it too. 12 seeds. 2 keeps. only some interset traits in the offspirng. over all managable and pretty damn good. i bought two og kush clones online and they both let me down compared to the seed plants.

Your account of the American one, doesn't sound like the Kush we have in the EU.
Obviously, the Kush comes from the Kush. Not the EU, Canada, or the US. Though the EU is at least connected.

I guess it grows to an average height, with big leaves, and has never made me think of lemons. I have some right here, and have done the coffee shop rounds 30 years back, when it was popular. It's not a lemon sat leaning plant. I would of put it closer to hash making.

Perhaps someone that's actually been there would be best qualified to answer
You are right about the kush origins being from Afghanistan but look up all the hype now. Wether its SFV OG, Ghost OG, Tahoe OG, Legend OG, Everybody says they love their lemon taste. I grew a pack of 707 OG kush and 707 kush. they were all 2-3 times the stretch of a regular indica and had thiner leaves. Most phenoes had a similar distinctive lemon taste to them.

little-soldier

Canadian Kush is Pink Kush. Purple Kush is a purp flavor. OG is sour cedar. The lemon is from Chem. None of them are kush. Maybe Master Kush, reminds you of Kush and a different softer lemon.

OG Kush doesn't mean Kush in the states. Hindu Kush means kush. But not Purple Hindu Kush, that's a purp.

Yes and now we have the later pink kush but in the early 2000s it was purple kush then OG kush and If you smoked both back then, you knew they were very close to eachother in terms of taste and growth.
I grew Hindu kush and 4 more indicas from Afghan selection and they were so shitty that I made hash with them lol. Didn't even want to smoke it after smelling the buds. But I had to and it was horrible.

little-soldier

Kush originated from the Hindu Kush region of Pakistan and Afghanistan. A Canadian Kush is just going to be genetics that originated from that region. I'm in the USA and I've grown many Kush strains over the years. One thing I can say is that they were never tall and lanky. Anything with that growth trait is likely not a true Kush but a hybrid.

There are many options for getting "True" Kush strains. ACE has a Pakistani Chitral Kush and The Real Seed Company has several selections from that region as well. There are many other options available.

Also, since OG Kush originated in the United States the US OG Kush is going to be the real one and not what you may have grown in Canada.

There are plenty of "Real" Kush strains available. They might not be what you remember and are looking for but they are most definitely real.
IDK the Pakistani Chitral Kush looks nothing like the Canadian version of Kush. Bud structure is different and way too pink.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
IDK the Pakistani Chitral Kush looks nothing like the Canadian version of Kush. Bud structure is different and way too pink.
I might be completely off topic here, but the way you described the Canadian Kush reminded me a lot of this one Mandala White Satin I grew ages ago, short squat fat leaves and floral almost roselike (I swear it reminded me of apricot jam at times) with just a hint of hash in the back notes, no lemon.
I've been sorta recreating something similar from a selection of Afghan descended commercial strains, short, squat, fat leaves, fast flowering, floral sweet, not skunky. (I playfully call them Kush because of they chonkeh leaffs and hashy tendencies, compared to my tropical landraces which are lanky AF)
How far off the mark am I?

little-soldier

I have a nice peat moss swamp funk pheno of OG kush..LOL
I had a freebie from DNA and grew more of their geir and was very dissapointed.
Where did you buy them from?

little-soldier

I might be completely off topic here, but the way you described the Canadian Kush reminded me a lot of this one Mandala White Satin I grew ages ago, short squat fat leaves and floral almost roselike (I swear it reminded me of apricot jam at times) with just a hint of hash in the back notes, no lemon.
I've been sorta recreating something similar from a selection of Afghan descended commercial strains, short, squat, fat leaves, fast flowering, floral sweet, not skunky. (I playfully call them Kush because of they chonkeh leaffs and hashy tendencies, compared to my tropical landraces which are lanky AF)
How far off the mark am I?
Not too far but it it doesn't have that musky taste, then its probably not it

Ca++

The practice of renaming things, is so rife, that many people naturally expect the name on the bag to be untrue. I have had a number of people shocked I tell the truth, and even suggest it's unwise. All these Ten guys want to get an edge, so won't use the real name, as someone else could have it. While growers finding something great, want to be the guy with something great, not something everyone else can get from the same catalogue. Others use the top names like a grading system. So if delphy cheese is the big thing, then their best gets called delphy cheese. While the second best, Just Philadelphia.

This similar naming thing to set things apart, can be like chinese whispers. The UK cheese story is a good example. Just as the OG is. The moment you hear these names, you really have to question the reliability of what you are being told. Here in the UK, it would almost certainly be BS.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Not too far but it it doesn't have that musky taste, then its probably not it
Can you go a bit more in detail about the "musky" taste? It's it when smoking? The aroma of the fresh plant? Of the dried bud? All of the above? 😅
IMG_20231028_090235_edit_1122946251151565.jpg

limegreenlimey

I grew DNA LA Confidential about ten years ago and rated it. The leaves were not as round as I would expect from an indica, being longer and more saw-edged, so I am sure there's some sativa in their heritage, but not pronounced in the smoke. Top weed though. Crusted with resin I'd recommend it to anyone wanting an "indica" smoke

In the 90s I experimented with sensi Seeds Afghan #1 and Hindu Kush. Neither were stellar but also I was new to growing and skills not up to scratch then. Got good weed (I think the #1 was better) but disappointed by the yields. I should have vegged them for much longer. Both were more knock out than the "OG" strains I have tried more recently.

Not a "Kush" by any stretch but Sensi Seeds super skunk (mid 90s) was at least 50% Afghan (and I think likely more) and though commercial, was the fucking chops as a smoke. I grew sacks of that stuff!

goingrey

I know some of you will think we just had a bubba kush because its a short and squat plant but I've had bubba before and its one of the best weed I have ever smoked but I don't think its related to the kush we had around here.
Funny you mention that, made me recall this interview, talks about the start of Canadian Kush around 23:30.

Then in part two he mentions the genetics at around 5:20 and yep originally Bubba then Bubba hybrids..

FluxCherry

I bought a few packs from attitude seed bank, with a promotion that gave me freebies of the same strain. I don't remember how many I ran but it was around 20 seeds. The hunt was quite bad and the keepers I got both have slight Hermie issues that have been passed down to my projects. All in all not the best but it does stack well and have the right smells. It's not exactly loud lol but it is what it is. The most varying pheno hunt I have done yet. So many random things. Who knows what's actually in it. Even a white truffle cross into it threw some God damn lemon citrus. Lol 😆

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Im surprised nobody mentioned Maple leaf.. maybe you know about that one too OP and thats not what you mean at all but it was the first thing I thought of and looked it up. Maple leaf strain has strong hindu kush associations.