What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No need for pre-mixed potting soil?

persianp

When using peat perlite and wormcastings, one does not need to use potting soil?

Here's some additional questions ahead, sorry if they're annoying:
So I've been trying to read all these organic soil posts on this forum to start an outdoor organic grow. Initially I will be growing them in pots outside, until I move to a more permanent location in june, at which point I was planning on transplanting into the ground. I am growing a NYCDxDC given to me in the og days.

From what I've read in using an organic soil mix bloodmeal, bonemeal, kelpmeal, dolomite lime, and greensand are the only ammendments you really need. Teas only need to be used sparingly. Is this right?

But I also saw Opt1983 giving a "basic mix" (he got from LC) recipe involving peat, perlite, and wormcastings... is this in lieu of potting soil? Or is this in addition to potting soil? Also when one mixes the soil, do you leave it in a rubbermaid container with holes drilled in the bottom only moistening it once and aerating it constantly? Can one leave this rubbermaid container outside, and does the lid stay on?

Also is there any problems transplanting from container directly into the ground?

Thanks for any replies to all these questions.

Last edited:

Opt1983

persianp, Well im not sure about the transplanting from container to the ground, and how that will work out..i've never grown outdoors. U might get that answered in outdoor forum better.About the peat question.... no.. it's just peat, perlite, WC's and lime...along with the other ferts.. bone, blood etc. The reason we do it like that is cuz that way we can control everything that is put into the mix. Potting mix's almost alwayz have additional ferts already added. You dont need holes to be drilled in the container u make ur mix in... u dont "wet" it like u would if you were watering a plant...u moiston it. This can be done by just pouring water on the mix..and stir .. and repeat till it's all evenly moist..not wet. Or you can take a misting bottle and do it that way. -Opt

Opt1983

O, and i wouldn't recommend leaving the lid on. It'll be more likely to mold..which will ruin it all. You can use plain water to moiston this mix...or if you wanna help speed it up a tad make a wormcasting/kelp meal tea at 1 TBL each per gallon of water and use that to moiston. -Opt

Here's the same thing with potting mix:

6 parts potting mix
2 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings
2 TBS dolomite lime per gallon of mix

5 parts peat moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings
2 TBS dolomite lime per gallon of mix

Hope this helps....LC

minds_I

Veteran
LC,

could you elaborate on what you mean by "Potting mix". Are you reffering to premixed bagged soils?

minds_I

persianp

Thanks a lot guys, as far as getting the soil moist...do I do this only once? Or is it a constant getting dry, then remoistenning (sp?) it? And can I keep it outside, or does it need to be inside, because I do not have a garage...

Also there is a product out here call hum tea, has a huge microherd living in it, would it be wise to moisten the soil with such a product, as opposed to the castings tea?

Opt1983

Usually when u moiston the mix and let it sit, it doesnt dry out to fast, unless the humidity is really low...which shouldnt really be a problem. What happens when i moiston the mix is the top layer gets dry, you simply aerate it and BAM .. its mixed again. Usually moistoning it once i will do the trick. I guess it could left sat outside, but you might have a chance of critters getting into it, which wouldnt be a great thing. Even though u dont have a garage, im sure you could find somewhere indoors you could put your container full of mix. About the product you mention, i've never heard or used it.... can you give us a description on what it says on the label maybe, or direct us to a website? And also, you dont HAVE to use a wormcasting tea..using straght water will still get the herd going, the wormcasting tea just helps to speed it up. I've also heard that putting some blackstrap molasses in your water that you use to moiston the mix with will also help feed the herd and get the bacteria moving. -Opt

persianp

Heres the description of humtea, it's a norcal product and its supposed to kick ass, got this info from http://www.gardenspout.com/gs_bb.htm#ht

"Contains natural biocolonies of beneficial bacteria, fungi, and protozoa
Humtea increases availability of phosphorus and other macro and micro nutrients, phytohormones, and vitamins to meet critical, on time, plant needs
Defends against disease and promotes vigourous plant growth"

Opt1983

Hmm, it does sound good. But if all your doing is gonna use it to pre moiston ur mix, i'd save your money and just use plain water. But, do what u want. I'm sure a couple more people will have some comments on it, so hold back on ordering it. See what some other ICmagers have to say. :) -Opt

persianp

I know that a lot of work has gone into the tea, i talked to the micorbiologist (if thats the type of person who works on this stuff) who actually makes it, he seemed to think that it was some pretty bomb stuff, but of course, since he's makin it...the way he explained it to me was in the couch potatoe metaphor, he told me a lot of bacteria in teas are very lazy like a couch potatoe they sit around getting all these nutrients but not effecttivley using their energy, he told me that the bacteria in this humtea are like super fit bacteria...i dont know, could be crap, but it sounded good at the time...and my local hydro stuff moves this stuff like hot potatoes.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Transplanting from container into the ground should work without issues, just don't let the plant get rootbound.. the best time to transplant is in the evening (even better if the next day is overcast), be gentle, and eveything should go smoothly.

Latest posts

Latest posts