What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No Deer This Year!!!!

G

Im just so happy about this that I had to wish it for every grower here. Last year, the poor starving deer ate every plant I had at least 3 times. It was the worst I have ever experienced. More than 100 deer were found dead of starvation in just this county alone.

But this year, we've had plentiful rainfall,( Im backed up terribly and need to plant!) and the alfalpha, red clover and tender young shoots abound and since they are much higher on the deers menu than cannabis, my plants are untouched and they will remain that way as long as their natural foods are plentiful. Combined with a greatly reduced population - Hallalueha!

Heres hoping an 1" of rain per week for the next 12 weeks for every grower here = No deer and explosive veg growth. Happy growing!.

Last edited:
Dream on. Those long legged rats are just waiting for your babies to get lush enough for them to chow down on.
Don't you hope I'm wrong.
Seriously, I wouldn't trust deer to lay off weed. You're knowledgeable, continue to use every deer repellant method you know.
" One for the raccoon, one for the crow, one for the deer, and one to grow."

LazLo

Silverback

Tomorrow I let the deer in my area know to head southeast. Seems there's a shortage your way. I've come accross many remains this year. Picked up an antler with 4 points last month.

Hear you about the rain. The holes I've dug fill with water before I can fill them with my soil mix. Another inch today will only further delay planting. Some of my seedlings are over a foot tall now! Don't need another inch for more than a week here. Want to get those seedlings out next week.

I use deer netting to keep my plants safer. Grouped in fours and/or fives, it is simple to surround them. Learned long ago to avoid fish emulsion, bone meal, blood meal or kelp fertz. That net doesn't keep the coons from digging up plants looking for the "treats." And being black, it is almost invisible.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Colt122

Im in heavy deer county myself, but I think theres enough food out there, I use burlap bags with manure so its the bears that like to play with a bag or 2 then split forever. Mice have made homes in the bags, I havnt done anything to deter that since it only happened in a few and the plants still grew fine.
Good luck :rasta:

spyvsspy

I used to grow outdoor in a heavily populated deer area- one crop was munched to the ground. The next year I would pee in a big circle around the plants every time I was there. It seemed to deter them as I had no munching that season. I don't know if it works for raccoons, mice, etc.... but it was recommended to me and seemed to work..... its worth a try........just make sure to hydrate before you head to the fields!

G

Hi everyone

so far so good fisheadbob. I don't trust them much. There as likely to just run over a plant and break it as they are too eat it. My grow sites however, arent in or near what I would consider as primary feeding habitat. I grow in areas that are a little rougher in hopes that the deer, as grazers, will not try and graze on a mountain side or ditch. I try to plant so that they have to go out of their way, but like you said, they will.

LazLo you must be in the east central US. Im being drowned here but after the extreme drought of last year, Im hesitant to say outloud that I want the rain to stop temporararily. I am backed up terrib ly and cant plant because of wet soil. Normally by now, I would have all of the first wave planted and the second on standby. My first wave isn't finsished, my second wave is overgrowing their cups and I NEED TO PLANT!

spyvsspy, buddy ive pissed and shit and let my dog piss and shit all around my plants with no positive effects. I hope it works for you but my deer don't give a shit.

LazLo

silverback

This brazen hussy followed me until another joined her and then they split. Living in a protected enviroment, they know it and take advantage.

The bitter cold winter didn't kill enough of them. With all the rain this spring, the vegetation is lush and plentiful. Calving from now until middle of next month. There should be plenty to eat besides my stuff, but I don't take chances. Netting also prevents the plants from being trampled and used as bedding.

By this time last year, my crop was planted. The rains have kept all farmers from getting their crops in the ground. I'm 3 degrees north of you (and west) in corn and soybean country. Only about 25% has been planted so far as compared to the "normal" 90% by now. With any luck my girls will be celebrating Memorial Day in their
forever homes.

spyvsspy

You are indeed fortunate that your body waste was a deer deterent. Don't misunderstand me, but, beer drinkers body waste is more effective in that regard. My uncle pissed the quarts of Drewreys he drank around the perimeter of his garden and even the coons left his garden alone. With 4 boys and 1 bathroom, he drank and pissed a lot!