What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No Bone Meal in Tea......Myth or Fact?

G

Can we expect a new bio weapon that dissolves our blood and bones let me know where you are so I can live somewhere else.We have made assumptions that all aerobic microbes are safe and anaerobic microbes are unsafe.I would feel a lot better if the specific microbes were named before we all start making this stuff. Jeffrey Dalhmer would like to have read these posts. He could have done away with the corpses and put them on his lawn in just 36 hours. No nasty drums full of purifying young men to attract attention.(just being devils advocate here)

octodiem said:
Can we expect a new bio weapon that dissolves our blood and bones let me know where you are so I can live somewhere else.We have made assumptions that all aerobic microbes are safe and anaerobic microbes are unsafe.I would feel a lot better if the specific microbes were named before we all start making this stuff. Jeffrey Dalhmer would like to have read these posts. He could have done away with the corpses and put them on his lawn in just 36 hours. No nasty drums full of purifying young men to attract attention.(just being devils advocate here)
:rolleyes: I can appreciate the whole devil's advocate angle.....but at least try to come up with 1 fact. Dissolve your blood and bones?? Housefly maggots and ants could also eat you alive....but come on....are you serious?? Jeffrey Dahmer?? He was a cannibal and used acid to dissolve the bodies. I'm failing to see your point.

All we're doing is providing a perfect environment to feed and nurture microorganisms that are naturally in the dirt and in the air. I don't understand why that scares people so much....The bad organisms feed on animal proteins and thrive in anaerobic conditions. I would definitely bet that there is hardly any proteins left in the bone meal. It is a processed product, boiled steamed and then pulverized.

The only risk that I've come across is in the 80's they found the organism that causes Mad Cow Disease in bone meal. It was suggested to stop taking it as many people used it as a calcium supplement. If you are really worried about contracting mad cow disease, I'd stay away from any beef product. That hamburger from McDonald's has a much better chance of making you sick than bone meal.

If you have Aids or any other disease that taxes your immune system, I'd highly recommend you stay away from bone meal or even making teas at all. Like i said earlier, use common sense. Get yourself a good carbon filtered chemical mask and use it. Don't dip your finger in the teas and rub your eyes. don't drink the tea.....Etc.

C

CT Guy

I work for a company that sells compost tea brewers and compost tea. We use bone meal as part of our food source, though not anywhere near the quantities you're describing. I would try maybe a teaspoon per gallon or 1 T. in 5 gallon to start out.

And yes, in compost tea it will dissolve, not sure if it's because it's water soluble or because the microbes are breaking it down.

Though i'd bump this thread....

I've been still doing this but i've dropped all the ingredients by 1/4...

I was diluting it but it seems better to mix it up as your gonna use it. Thanks for the input guys.

Any more?

vapor

Veteran
If i have a def, some times i top feed with bone meal or blood meal depending and after 3 or 4 days i can see the plants reacting to the top feed. I use a lot of microbe heavy teas so maybe that and the ground powder makes it faster me thinks

Latest posts

Latest posts