What's new

NL5 Question

Aaront596

NL5 Question:

So I just heard that Nevil never released his version of what he called pure NL5. I was under the impression that NL5 was Northern Lights. If pure NL5 was never sold then what was Northern Lights? Forgive my strain ignoance, but does anyone know what made up Nevil's Northern Lights they were selling?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
As far as I'm aware, NL is just the term he used for his Afghan lines, each plant was given a number and crossed to suitable mates depending on their individual qualities.

coxnox

Veteran
NL5 Question:

So I just heard that Nevil never released his version of what he called pure NL5. I was under the impression that NL5 was Northern Lights. If pure NL5 was never sold then what was Northern Lights? Forgive my strain ignoance, but does anyone know what made up Nevil's Northern Lights they were selling?
the NL sold by the seedbank and later by sensi seeds was NL5 clone x NL2 if my memory is good :biggrin:
NL5 is a clone only, so no way to get pure nl5 in seedform....there is a few ibl made from this clone, British Colombia Sedd Company was claiming having worked that way.

So Hai

Nevil was given seed by the original growers and breeders from Seattle. They are the ones who came up with the name and the numbering system. It is assumed that the numbers give reference to different cuts but what it refers to is different crosses, not cuts.
They only gave him a clone of NL5.

JetLife175

Veteran
Nevil was given seed by the original growers and breeders from Seattle. They are the ones who came up with the name and the numbering system. It is assumed that the numbers give reference to different cuts but what it refers to is different crosses, not cuts.
They only gave him a clone of NL5.
this.

A clone of nl5 was sent in a terrarium to Neville.

Neville claims the work he did with the clone surpassed the clone in terms of potency and vigor.

Neville tried going behind Greg's back to get more NL from someone we call "the Indian" and Greg and crew ceased sending anything over to Amsterdam. This is why Neville had to make his own "NL5"

The famous nl5 clone that everyone knows is Neville's female selection. I'm sure that's the one you are after. Good luck on that though.

JetLife175

Veteran
Nevil picked up the clone in 85 after meeting up with the Indian. It was inferior to Nevil's NL5, which he found in the NL5 seed line.

The 89NL5 is the closest one can get to Nevil's NL5 clone, just skip the R1 phenos.
That's the way it went.

Sorry to get that mixed up. It's been a while.

EnjoyingLife

I'll throw something in but I heard it from the internet ...

I think it was a podcast from potcast. Can't say which as idr.

It kind of goes along the lines of what so hai said but the numbers mean it has more indica or sativa the higher the number.

I should really have my memory checked...

albertgriffiths

I'll throw something in but I heard it from the internet ...

I think it was a podcast from potcast. Can't say which as idr.

It kind of goes along the lines of what so hai said but the numbers mean it has more indica or sativa the higher the number.

I should really have my memory checked...

Yes it is in one of AG seed co's episodes with Tommy mc cormick.
The "number 0" would be the afghan AGseeds is selling as "purest indica", then every number would correspond to one outcross. NL2 is closer to "purest indica" than NL5.

I remind him quoting Seattle Greg: "we used to smoke number 2 and sell number 5"
... which has raised my interest in that NL2.

Aaront596

I guess what I'm asking is if you look at an old The Seed Bank Catalog, there a generic "Northern Lights" what is that? There's NL1, 2, and 5 which one are you supposed to be getting if you bought the "Northern Lights" seeds?

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
I guess what I'm asking is if you look at an old The Seed Bank Catalog, there a generic "Northern Lights" what is that? There's NL1, 2, and 5 which one are you supposed to be getting if you bought the "Northern Lights" seeds?
You mean the "Cannabis Indica "Northern Lights" " that showed up in the 85 & 86 catalogs?

igrowone

Veteran
there were a number of seed banks/breeders that sold seeds labelled nl#5
I can speak to only 1, nl#5 from highgrade-seeds
and for just 1 plant, others weren't like that one
strongest weed I've ever had, hands down
taste slightly pine and hash, yield was massive
and too strong, let her go just because of that
like being strapped to a rocket to mars, overwhelming head rush

phunkeeboodah

growing some mr nice ortega (nl1xnl5)

2024-01-09_ortegas_3.JPG

phunkeeboodah

That sounds delicious! Ha! I literally thought that was a litter box for a second! What kind of substrate is that?

pro mix herb and veg mix and pro mix 4-4-8 granular and a layer of sand on top. mild smelling strain coffee skunk so far will see i am waiting on the tops to show sex under 9/15

edit: it is advertised to have deep berry flavours and so far i removed the first true leaves on all plants and one of them smelled like super berry with stank so i hope that is female

Last edited:

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
CI/NL wasn't available in the 85 catalog because he lost contact with Gerg. It was supposed to be (F1) NL lines via Greg.

The 86 CI/NL release was the consequence that followed from cutting Nevil off. F2's of 1 - 5 were released. I believe this was the only time Nevil made NL5 available in it's pure form, though NL5 progeny did not come out like his mother clone.

Last edited:

EnjoyingLife

there were a number of seed banks/breeders that sold seeds labelled nl#5
I can speak to only 1, nl#5 from highgrade-seeds
and for just 1 plant, others weren't like that one
strongest weed I've ever had, hands down
taste slightly pine and hash, yield was massive
and too strong, let her go just because of that
like being strapped to a rocket to mars, overwhelming head rush
Those are the ones you keep :LOL::rtfo::rtfo::abduct: