What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nitric Acid

Ca++

I keep forgetting, so I'm just leaving myself some notes, that might have value to others

Nitric Acid is 22% available N
A 67% bottle, is listed at 14-0-0
Nitric Acid has an SG of 1.42

I take my Nitric and mix it 1:2 to make about 23% acid. About 5-0-0 with an sg of 1.42 won't give me 5ppm if I use 1ml in 10L, but rather 7.5ppm as it's heavier than a gram per ml (it's 1.42g)

As a worked example, I'm using 0.5ml per L of my 23% Nitric, giving about 37ppm N

I will know where to search next time :)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Nitric acid is harmful and dangerous if it comes in contact with the body. One needs to use precautions when handing it. I personally don't think using it is a good idea.

What will happen if you breathe in nitric acid?
Nitric acid fumes may cause immediate irritation of the respiratory tract, pain, and dyspnea, followed by a period of recovery that may last several weeks. A relapse may occur resulting in death caused by bronchopneumonia and pulmonary fibrosis.

Is nitric acid harmful to human skin?
Nitric acid (NA) is corrosive. On contact with the skin, liquid splashes with nitric acid and may produce severe burns. These burns usually take on a characteristic yellowish hue.

How do you handle nitric acid safely?
Use in ventilated areas and in proximity to eyewash and safety shower stations, hile wearing compatible gloves, safety goggles, and a lab coat. Avoid contact with metals! Nitric acid is extremely corrosive in the presence of aluminum, copper, and oxides and attacks all base metals

Why should nitric acid not be used?
It produces exothermic reactions, as well as toxic, corrosive, and flammable vapors. Reducing or eliminating usage of nitric acid can reduce the level of risk in your workspace. Conduct a risk assessment to determine whether nitric acid is really needed for your project or process. Google

CharlesU Farley

For an old, retired respiratory therapist, "nitric acid" equals ARDS, which equals... they're going to see _me_ and I'm going to be involved because I have to put a tube down their mouth and into in their lungs, attach them to a machine, make sure they're totally paralyzed so they cannot blink an eye, and it's going to be a tough fucking thing to keep them from dying. 🤮

Outstanding info post Creeperpark.

Nice to see this term in another context then what I'm used to seeing it in! ;)

Ca++

It's nasty stuff indeed. I water it down outside, standing up wind, as there is smoke coming out the bottle. However, what I have can't be bought in the UK anymore. So here at least, the conversation is a little mute.

I have used it exclusively for years. A lot of people do (bugbee) and some like Canna switch from N to P as they move from grow to bloom (N-acid Nitric, to P-acid Phosphoric)
In the dairy industry they mix the two (or buy it mixed) to clean out the pipework. While wood workers age timber rapidly with Nitric.

It's the most volatile thing we use, but Phosphoric demands no less care and attention, once at a realistic concentration. In the past, I have looked at the state of peoples phosphoric bottle, and decided they couldn't have Nitric. Any sort of crystal buildup from decanting by the cap-full, and they are waiting to blind themselves. I have a short stubby 150ml bottle I keep my working solution in (and the 5L refill and concentrate outside, where the concentrate gets sweaty and needs gloves and a wash down). The stubby bottle doesn't have it's top off for long. I wouldn't use the 250ml slim bottles that shops send out.

It all takes some thinking about, but these are just some notes. IIRC the shop stuff is about 12% like h2o2 and Phosphoric are now (in the UK)

The 35% h2o2 and 69% nitric were controlled a few years ago, as they are used in bombs. The concentrated oxygen making a fast burn of the nitrogen. This is much more effective than diesel over fertiliser. You can easily blow yourself up in the grow room, if you mess about. Nitric can alone light fires at high concentrations

However, It's extremely common in hydroponics. People are not avoiding it. They may simply be blind to what they have. Though it won't be at high concentrations, like fuming acid, as it becomes known.

Latest posts

Latest posts