What's new

NGB MicroBox Modifications

mysticls

how much room you think you need for the 2nd mother/clone room???

i'm building the NGB box to same specs but mine is 4ft w x 2.5ft d x 3ft h.. i am adding 4-6 inchs in the flower room and than i have another 6-8 inchs to work with.. i figure add the additional 6-8 inchs to the utility room up top so you need to add 6-8 inchs underneath it which is where you could add a 2nd mother/clone room.. would 6-8 inchs wide be enough space for a 2nd room? say for seedlings, sexing, etc

Red Greenery - What up man long time no see. I can only agree. She's quite the seductive slut. But I think mysticls came up with a great idea on correcting this.

A pc fan from the mother to the flower light sealed.
8" Dark room vent under the sliding drawer of the flower room. That's a total of 18 sq. inches of intake and allowing all air to be cleaned. Once I come up with something easy/effective for moving air from the mother to flower, I think I will just go with that.

Ok here is what I came up with. Now as I typically struggle with stick figures, I didn't bother drawing in the fan or carbon filter nor the air cooled hood/reflector. Obviously this isn't a complete idea, but here goes:

There will be 2 total air intakes:

#1 vent will be in the mother room. I haven't decided where the vent would be yet, so I haven't drawn it in. I'm not exactly sure what the best way would be to route it allowing all plants to breathe. Anyhow this will be a smaller vent and then on the east wall about midway up, there will be a PC fan blowing air thru PVC pipe that passes directly thru the utility room and vents to the flower room.

#2 will be in the flower room. An 8" Dark Room Vent that will be located on the floor of the flower room as shown and it will be below the drawer slide. This way the air is forced up the sides around the drawer slide and will also prevent any light from being leaked. It also forces the air to pass across the plants on it's way up through the air cooled hood/reflector.

Once the air is sucked thru the hood, it will pass thru ducting that leads back into the utility room where the fan will be located. The fan will then send the air up thru another small length of ducting into the clone room where it will be connected to the carbon filter hanging on the ceiling.

Lastly - the clean air will all end up in the clone/seedling room and be forced out the dark room vent that will be located in the back.

One other thing to mention is that the reason the utility room is so small is to help with sound deadening. The whole room will be wrapped with egg crate/styrafoam to help the sound waves to be caught adding to the silencing effect.

Hopefully that gets my point across. I don't think it's the best design on the planet, but I think it would work. Please anyone - give me some feedback.

Front View Flower (Top)
Front View Mother/Utility (Lower Left)
Back View All (Lower Right)
Here's also sorry picture incase you can't understand what I wrote.

Last edited:
I suppose that either my idea is too confusing to bother checking out or everyone is busy lol. I DEMAND FEEDBACK NOW! Kidding - but thanks in advance anybody.

G

wow! that is a VERY nice design. which chamber will the vortex be in? the only thing i would do differently is run the carbon filter so that all of the chambers' air will go through it. clones can be stank depending on the strain. do you have any hypothetical dimensions? :)

mysticls

durban your idea is nice but i dont like how the clones don't get ventilated through the carbon scrubber.. i am going to use my 3rd room as seedling, drying room, sexing, etc so i definately want it carbon scrubbed

ive never done a micro grow nor have i ever had to deal with being so stealth but i have a question..

my box is going to be 48 inchs wide 28 inchs deep and 33 inchs tall..

on the left i have my utility room in the top left corner thats 17 wide by 15 high and 21 inchs deep

my mother room is 9 inchs wide 18 inchs high and 21 inchs deep and my seedling room is 8 inchs wide 18 inchs high and 21 inchs deep.. are underneath my utility room..

my box is 28 inchs deep but my utiility room/mother room and clone room are 21 inchs deep.. this leaves me with a 7 inch deep by 17 inchs wide by 33 inch box that will be in the back behind my clone/mother/utility rooms... i will placing my carbon scrubber at the back of my utility room venting out into the 7x17x33 inch box that will be full of sound deadening insulation...does this make sense??

do you think this will help reduce the nose?? do you think ill have enough room in my utility room thats 17 wide x 15 high by 21 deep for a lumatek 250w ballast, 2 fluroscent ballast, carbon scrubber and a panasonic fan...

mysticls

my flower room is going to be 5 inchs wider 7 inchs deeper and 2 inchs taller

my utility room will be 17 wide by 15 high by 21 deep

my mother room will be 9 wide by 18 high by 21 deep

my seedling room will be 8 wide by 18 high by 21 deep

my exhaust room which will be stuffed full of sound deadening insulation venting out the bottom of my box will be 17 wide by 7 deep by 33 inchs high

stevr59

well at my stage of health every thing is confusing lol just cant seem to focus my mind on to much of any thing but your drawing look great wish i could learn how to use skech up but my mind is not there

h&l - Well my experience has been that clones typically haven't had much of a stink. But you may just be right. I'm so frustrated with this damn thing, I just want it to be done lol. That design in sketchup is completely measured out:

4' 6"Long x 2' 8"Tall x 2' 4"Deep
All using 5/8" MDF

The clone room is 2' 3/4" Long x 1' Tall x 2' 4"Deep
The mother room is 11 7/16" Long x 1' 6 1/8" Tall x 2'4" Deep
The Utility room is 10 5/16" Long x 1' 5 1/8" Tall x 2'4" Deep
The Flower room is 2' 3 3/8" Long x 2' 6 3/4" Tall x 2'4" Deep

I think I might redesign the whole thing though. I think there's a way to make this thing smaller and more efficient. I don't want it to be too big.

mysticls - The reason I didn't include the clone/seedling room in the air cleaning is because at that stage, there really isn't any smell (at least in my past experience) but I don't have that many crops under my belt yet. Any plant mature enough to really stink will be in my mother room. I'm likely going to use the flower room as the room to dry. haven't thought of that yet, but glad you brought it up. I'll be thinking about that. I'm a bit confused as to what your trying to say though. Suppose you could dry a picture in paint or something? I'm damn near 100% visual learner so I am struggling a bit keeping up. Thanks again for the input man.

Stevr - Keep fighting it man. Get well

mysticls

what size fan are you using for your carbon scrubber / ac reflector ?

how quiet is your box? what is the loudest thing you hear? the sound of air rushing out of your carbon scrubber?

mysticls - Air doesn't exactly rush out of the scrubber. It's split into hundreds of small pores. That's the quiet part. The loud part is my vortech fan. Well it's very quiet considering how much air is moved. But as I have my fan in the cab and will continue to do so in the future, it's very quiet. Near silent I'm sure if I was to strafoam the room it's in. The fan I have is the 4" 175CFM. The filter I have is a DIY that I built myself (which you can too if you like if you visit the link in my signature) and it's about 10.5" long. The inner core is 4" and the outter core is 6". I've been thinking more about having the utility area on the top or on the back of the cab to save space. Still thinking thinking thinking.. Honestly though to get back to your question, the fan is quiet.

stevr59

well i got a 145 cmf dayton and i can hear it in the next room its to loud to be stealthy and didn't have room in the Utility cab to install a vortex fan. but i play my stereo when some one come over. works like a charm lol dp yeah i am fighting as hard as i can i stop drinking and fixing to stop smoking cigs and got my self a juicer today and man i love it made orange apple bake potatoes lettuce juice and i can say one thing that stuff was so dam good and i am on a low fat diet so far i drop 30 pounds but may be to late to save my liver we shall see just wish i could get back to work so i can toke a lil

mysticls - Yes you can hear the the fan going in there. Like I said though - it is quiet. Especially considering how much air that thing moves. When you plug it into the wall right out of the box just holding it, you feel like your grasping a tornado. Then you think immediately (Ohhh Damn... this is why they call it the vortech.)

stevr - Good to hear man. Keep it up!

mysticls

ya thats what i was afraid of.. i am going to insulate the shit out of my utility room which is one of the main reasons i am making it so big... once i get everything in there im just going to stuff the shit out of it with insulation....

i also have one of those new panasonic fans on order... i ordered the 4 inch but they said i could upgrade to the 6 inch for another 30$.. should i get the 6 inch of the 4 inch panasonic fan?? i figure if i got the 6 inch, put it on a speed cointroller than i could have it set on low and it would run as good as the 4 inch on medium/high setting and make less noise, etc..

stevr59

don't for get even if your fan does not make noise you still have the sound of

the air leaving the box, which a scrubber might muffle it where no one would

notice it a few feet from the box.

Last edited:
Quite honestly man, the fan isn't enough noise to attract any attention. Just make sure both your fan and your scrubber are in your box and you have plenty of ventillation. Someone would have to stand next to it and conciously think about it to think anything of it.

Latest posts

Latest posts