What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2019-2020

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
thanks baba'
everyone had a great time this holiday with only mild family drama
the season ended on a great note even tho the rams dident make the playoffs
the 9ers are on a roll but seatle is still a big fish
pats lost a big one to the tanking dolphins and the titans turned out to be the dark horse team of the year!
/we settled up and decided we would just split the difference, the raiders did play well but missed the playoffs so we both kind of lost but won at the same time
you make a great point about the rams having to face a pretty hefty bill to keeptheir "top" players around
coupled that with their lack of high draft picks and they are definitely going to have to shift some people around
looking at bang for the buck kind of thing i would say gurley might be a good place to start
we ended up making the italian beef recipe, it turned out to be amazing!
we found the giardiniera vegetables in smaller jars so we ended up buying a couple to add to the meat and then added some s&p, garlic and onions
its funny you mentioned french bread because we ended up getting a nice loaf of that to use and it turned out great
/it would have been nicer with something a little crustier but the sandwiches went so fast the french bread did the trick
thanks for the recipe and ideas my man and we are definitely going to be making this again

so for those of us who dident make the playoffs, i guess the question is where do we go from here?
i think brisette was decent back up for luck on such short notice and hopefully the colts will give him another chance to prove himself at this level
looks like indy draft @the 13th spot so we will see what they do with their pick
chicagos pick goes to oaland and i wonder how gruden feels about d.carr as his qb of the future?
i think they can still let him go without taking a big cap hit but did he do just enough to keep his job?
/they might also want a new face of the franchise when they move to vegas
same with trubinski, he seemed to have a lot of ups and downs this year but played just well enough at the end to maybe keep his starting job

beastmode was back and while it was fun to watch people throw skittles on the field he kind of played like half power
/part of that was the sf-D'
i dident get to watch the fins/pats game but my jaw hit the floor when i saw the final score
this is the first season in a while where new england dident get top seeding in the playoffs
/and fwiw the "tank" job by the dolphins landed them the #5 pick
they also have the 18th pick so they could trade up if there is someone they are really interested in (i could see wash, ny or det being willing to trade down because they arent really looking to pull a j.rosen on their rookie qbs just yet

eagles snatched the title from the cowboys

its fun to look back and see how things panned out across the league, mrBungle

its been another great year of football and the fun is just starting!
cant wait for the playoffs to begin

eta: a big welcome to swabian extracts

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The minstache came through big time against the colts. Indy has had a weird season, just really inconsistent. Maybe the colts will draft or sign a free agent QB in the offseason too, jacoby showed some accuracy issues the 2nd half of the season.

The fins scored the biggest upset of the season, beating the patriots as 17pt dogs. Patriots will actually have to play on wild card weekend for the first time in 8 years; theyve never won a superbowl when they havent had a first rd bye so we'll see if belichick and brady can pull out some more tricks.

The last game of the regular season, niners at seahawks, was very entertaining. Saw the 2nd half, saw lynch's big runs and td score, but i was impressed with san fran's offense, they kept coming back when the hawks scored. So they finish with the top seed in the nfc, but funny enough they might have to play the hawks again in the divisional round if seattle can get past a beat up eagles team. Both their games this season have come down to the last play, so not sure SF can beat SEA 3x in a row but that's what it might come down to in a couple weeks.

Myles Garrett looked like a stud Def player but he just couldnt keep his cool on the field, and it cost him and the browns big time. But he'll be back next year, theyll have a new coach, and maybe they actually will make the playoffs.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i tihnk we will see more of the g. minstach* and i wonder what his ceiling looks like
i thought he was punching way beyond his weight and played well for a young qb
for what he is playing for the jags have the best deal in town, with a ton of upside at almost no cost
hot taek on the colts maybe being in the market for qbs in the draft , but i did some digging and it looks j.brisette could cost the colts big money in 2020
/with a cap hit of over 20m
when it comes to playoff football im never ready to rule the pats out just yet
the titans are not the hottest girl at the dance but they might do a mean two-step

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Heh, I was in the middle of writing my post last night when you posted, so totally didn't see yours at first.

It's always good to keep the family drama to a minimum, if possible. That's holidays for you, it's not always good times.

Dallas is having to face the same issues as the rams, whether they want to pay their QB and WR top dollar to keep them on the team. Theyve already put a bunch of money in their O-line and zeke, jaylon smith got an extension, the more money goes to your stars the less for the meat and bones of your team. It'll be interesting to see who their new coach is also, whether it's one of the college guys (riley from oklahoma, rhule from baylor).

Brisket did passably well 2 years ago when luck missed the entire season with his shoulder injury, brought in days before week 1, having to learn the offense and play behind a bad offensive line. This year, he knows the offense and the line is one of the league's best; when the run game is going he's very efficient, when the defense forces him to pass not so much. He's cheap for a starting qb (15M/yr) but maybe indy wants a more elite option, like what tannenhill did for the titans, once he took over tennessee was like a top 5 offense. Ur right pop, his cap hit in 2020 is 21M, and if they cut him it'll be 12.5M dead cap (money they cant spend on any other player) so he's going to be on the team next year regardless.

It'll be interesting to see what the titans do against the pats on saturday, and minny at new orleans on sunday will be a rematch of their playoff game 2 years ago, when diggs scored a last second game winning TD.

Glad you enjoyed the italian beef recipe, did you end up using tri tip? For some reason it's hard to find that cut around chicago, maybe it's just not that common.

But there's something about a nice steak/beef sandwich. Like, everybody likes steak, and everybody likes bread, combine the two it's a perfect meal. Maybe next time ill try to make a real steak sandwich, not slow cooked, but thinly sliced steaks marinated and then grilled or pan fried. Hopefully theyre not too tough to chew, sucks when youre eating a sandwich and pulling out the meat with every bite.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
You guys ever throw any Liquid Smoke in your manly crockpots of meat? That's good stuff. I just had me some really nice beef brisket, and it made me wonder if I could come close to hitting that flavor in a crockpot.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Happy New Year everybody!

I bought a bottle of liquid smoke years ago, used it once or twice but from what i can remember it's best used very sparingly, just a drop or two will get you a nice smoky flavor in most dishes. But yeah, it's very effective for getting that smoke taste without actually smoking the meat. Obviously you wont get a smoke ring or that bark/crust you get from cooking in a smoker, but it's way easier using a slow cooker, especially when it's cold outside.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happy new year fellas!
hope everyone had a fun night and you are all starting the new year off on the right foot
we ended up having some friends over and just kept things chill
/the girl went out to a fancy party and we watched "zombie land 2: double tap"
but we made it to midnight and then some and me and mrsChicky had a great night

i dont really use much liquid smoke but now you got me thinking, j'fish
to me part of the flavor comes from the bark that surrounds the meat after its been in the smoker
its not just the smoke but the condensed meat flavor, plus the smokey flavor
i bet if you marinated some nice ribs or somethign like that overnight with a touch of liquid smoke then baked it in the oven you might get a nice flavor
same goes for the slow cooker, it wont be the same but it will come pretty close
we will see what the colts do in the draft but i tihnk you have a decent qb even if he isnt playing for cheap
/maybe they will resign him to a longer deal using the 21m as a starting point in negotiations?

happy new year baba! my man
hope you enjoyed your new years eve
the italian beef was such a hit with the fam; so much flavor and so easy to make and we are totally making it again
/even the girl who wont eat bread said it was the best
ive hear from other friends who live in the mid west that the tri tip is kind of hard to come by
weird, because they always have it in the local markets here in so cal and its usually a good price
i make the thin cut steak sandwiches from time to time
/does anyone remember the things called steak ums'?
we get the meat dept to slice the beef extra thin and then quickly pan fry it with some onions
the trick is to get it off the heat really quickly so its still a little pink in the middle
but the italian beef reminded me of a more pulled beef type thing when we made it
super tender strands of meat in a nice juicy sauce
next time we make it im going to have a nice cheese option, like a nice provolone or gouda to add some richness
/the mrs actually liked your idea of making it with garlic bread too
thanks again brother!
i was suprised that the c'boys dident resign dak earlier this year, but it looks like it was a smart move now
im sure hes going to get paid but the price tag might be a little closer to earth now that they missed the playoffs
i think tannahill took the titans to the next level and they are the darkest horse in the playoffs for sure
but its kind of hard for me to get behind them right now
they are on a roll having won like the last 5-7 games, but its hard to not take the pats in the postseason
bills play a hot texans team and i think this one might come down to the play of the young qbs; j.allen v d.watson
j.alen has a tendancey to make bad throws when the heat is on so im leaning towards the texans in this one
nawlins plays minnisota and im going with the saints in this oen
they are actually an elite team and should be able to put up points against the mvikings defense
seahawks v eagles: the same thing; seatle is one of the elite teams this year and should advance to the next round
its going to be a fun weekend of football and we will see who makes it to the next round
its nice to see some fresh new faces in the mix and i cant wait for the action to begin!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
It's true about the Liquid Smoke, use sparingly.

i got a big piece of meat in the crockpot right now, inspired by Bababooey's Eye-talian Beef. I got three pounds of round in there, with a table spoon of minced garlic, salt/pepper, and some jalapenos.

I shoulda picked up giardinieri stuff at the grocery ,but I forgot. What else could I toss in there?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the gardinieri stuff was like mild pickled vegetables with a little oil in it and seasonings in it
you could add a mild vinegar and water mix, maybe throw in some carrots if you are going to be cooking it a while, (or cut them up really fine) to sweeten it up and then a touch of olive oil or even italian dressing

how far into the cooking time are you?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I'm about two hours in, I think. It smells pretty good. I have some olive oil,, but what would that do? Maybe some of that jalapeno juice?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Heh, sorry I missed this. How'd it turn out?

For Italian flavor, you can put some oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary in it (about twice as much oregano and basil than thyme/rosemary). Or if you have a shaker of italian seasoning use that, basically the same stuff.

I forgot, I did add a pour of olive oil to the crockpot as well, didnt add much in flavor but did increase the juiciness of it. Or maybe just made it oilier, i guess.
But garlic, S+P and jalapenos seems like a decent base, and you can always add more seasoning (S+P) after it's done.
Adding in the jalapeno juice will add that flavor to the mix, may add more vinegar/tanginess to the juice than you'd like, but that can be balanced out with a bit of sugar afterwards.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
So you've got the patriots over titans, texans over bills, saints over vikings, seahawks over eagles? Sounds good, probably most experts have picked the same as you. GoJoe, can we get a parley on this? How much would a $100 parlay pay out? 3-400? :)

Glad everyone is enjoying the beef sandwiches, I made 3 crockpots of it over the holidays so Im kind of beefed out for now. One very popular option, besides cheese and/or garlic bread, is to put an italian sausage in the middle of the beef sandwich. Not sure if italian sausage is popular where you are, it's as popular as brats and polish sausages around here. Comes in mild and spicy versions, i prefer the mild, if you remove it from the casing it makes great pizza toppings and meat for spaghetti sauces. I like to go 50/50 italian sausage and ground beef in my spaghetti sauces, although i dont usually have sausage on hand, not something i often buy although i probably should, it freezes well.

Yeah, im not even sure I see tri tip in most grocery stores around here, although im sure it's something i can ask for or special order. I'm sure it's a way more popular cut in the southwest, places like texas and extending out to socal, sounds like.

I do remember steak ums! Pretty good back in the day, not sure if theyve adulterated it with soy and additives and whatnot by now. I do have some leftover ribeye, i'll see if i can find a decent marinade recipe, i have some meat tenderizer, maybe there's a good greek steak marinade recipe online...

The liquid smoke on oven baked ribs sounds ideal, get that nice smokiness on some tender, fall off the bone ribs, finished under the broiler to add some char/crust. All without having to cook outside in the cold or deal with charcoal, etc. Makes me wonder if i should buy a bottle myself, a little goes a long way, ordinarily just need a couple drops each time.

Im thinking dallas would almost be better off just franchise tagging Dak for a year or two, and in the meantime try to find a cheaper alternative. Locking yourself into a young QB with a big contract could hurt your team if theyre not consistently good, and being unable to afford as many good players around them is going to make it harder for them to perform. Look at goff when the rams gave him big money, they had to cheap out on the O-line and the offense suffered big time.

Well, we've got 4 playoff games this weekend, we'll see how it goes. Hope there's some good, close games to watch, blowouts are good if you're a fan of the winning team but otherwise isnt very exciting.

shithawk420

Veteran
I usually get combos when I go to places like Portilos.i don't think ive ever seen it outside Chicago.i wish the sausage wasn't so big though cause you can't put as much beef or peppers on it.and ketchup and mustard is a big NO NO!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah im pretty much leaning towards the favorites this weekend
/if i had to buck the trend i would go with the titans beating new england as my upset
i tihnk the bills v texans should be a fun game and both of sundays games look like the should be close enough to keep it interesting
that would actually be a good move to tag dak at least once and try building up the team in other areas while you can
i love italian sausages and i like to eat them with mustard and onions
you are so right about pulling the casings and then crumbling them up in a pan
they bring a lot to sauce or pizza and sometimes i will make this meatloaf with sausages and ground beef or turkey

i like adding an oil to sauces or gravies because it helps carry flavor and gives them a nice richness
you dont need to break out the good stuff but it just adds a little something extra
i like babas idea of adding a lot of herbs to the meat if you are looking for that nice italian flavor
so how did it turn out?

Afkansastani Chief’ns for the win!!!
(Along with an Art Bryant’s slab and a coupla Boulevards to wash it down.)

But not this week... first-round bye!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I usually get combos when I go to places like Portilos.i don't think ive ever seen it outside Chicago.i wish the sausage wasn't so big though cause you can't put as much beef or peppers on it.and ketchup and mustard is a big NO NO!

Portillo's is everywhere now. Even in the cornfields of Indiana.

My Italian beef came out REALLY GOOD, especially for the first time! Next time, I'll add peppercinis, thyme, rosemary and basil (maybe not basil). But for just throwing some things into a slow cooker, the payoff was terrifico!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah Hawk, i get what youre saying. Sometimes the italian sausage in the italian beef, it's just too 'busy' in the meat department, makes you feel you just want one or the other, or that there's too much sausage and not enough beef. Maybe if you make them at home you can slice a sausage in half lengthwise and use that instead of a whole sausage?

I like ketchup on my hot dogs, i know that horrifies a lot of true chicago natives, but that's how i grew up eating them, and the sweetness of the ketchup goes well with the saltiness of the dog, but i guess relish does the same thing in a true chicago dog (no ketchup).

Im watching the bills-texans game right now, after dominating the first half the bills are giving ground back to the texans. Deshaun ran for a TD and 2pt conversion to cut their lead in half, he's basically carrying this team on his shoulders now. Both these guys, allen and watson, are running and throwing (and even catching a td pass, for josh allen) and just doing it all for their teams. Makes me wish trubisky wasnt so fragile, when he's running and converting 3rd downs he's pretty dangerous, when he's scared to scramble he cant do anything.

I really should use crumbled sausage more, whether it's italian or chorizo it can add a lot of flavor to a dish. Ive been thinking of adding some chorizo to my hamburger meat, get some nice pork fat in there with some spice. Like 1/5 chorizo, 1/5 bacon, 3/5 lean ground beef (90/10)?

I had to do a search for what u meant, silly, and i guess art bryant is a famous BBQ place in KC? So I suppose andy reid goes there 3-4x a week, at least. Not sure what KC's bbq 'style' is, maybe similar to Texas but more emphasis on wet bbq with sweet sauces, and a focus on ribs rather than brisket. I do love me some KC Masterpiece, it's like sweet baby rays but not so sweet or corn syrupy and a little more spice to it.

Glad ur beef turned out good Jelly! Now no more paying $10 for a big beef at portillo's. Dont forget the oregano among your italian seasonings. In fact, besides garlic, that's probably the most essential italian seasoning. Or maybe you can use some icmag 'oregano', hehehe, get everyone nice and lit.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Glad ur beef turned out good Jelly! Now no more paying $10 for a big beef at portillo's. Dont forget the oregano among your italian seasonings. In fact, besides garlic, that's probably the most essential italian seasoning. Or maybe you can use some icmag 'oregano', hehehe, get everyone nice and lit.

Yeah, oregano and the minced garlic were key ingredients.

Now I might have to try your idea of putting some chorizo or italian sausage in my hamburger. Dang boy, you got some pretty good ideas about FOOD!:biggrin: