What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ive never heard of stater bros, must be a Cali only thing. I thought it was all about Vons and Ralphs out there, along with the super walmarts. I remember going to a Ralphs way back when when i was out in Cali on vacation. Not an overly large store but had everything you'd want for the most part.

The jewel chicken would be on sale Mondays, 8 pieces for $6, for $10 you get a pack of hawaiian rolls and two larges sides (I'd pick wedges and coleslaw), that's a meal for 2 with leftovers. Nothing fancy, like you said, but with a well-seasoned batter and cooked in a pressure fryer, very solid chicken.

The AB Air Head model, love it. But you make a good point, if not a new mold, couldnt they modify it some so his vision is better? Although that might mean cutting some of the plastic and foam away, which might not be possible without compromising structural integrity.

In 2QB leagues or leagues with a superflex (a flex spot where you can play a QB or RB or WR) then qb's will be drafted earlier and often, maybe even 1st rd for elite guys.

But just in general with the increased passing in the league you can get good performance even from QBs 12-20, like Kirk cousins is being drafted as QB21 and a lot of 'experts' are thinking he'll have a good year because he has diggs and thielen, two top20 receivers. Heck, people are thinking trubisky might have a breakout season, in vegas he's actually drawing a lot of bets as a darkhorse MVP candidate.

Yeah, im thinking the OJ adds sugar to the marinade, when i get a bottle i'll taste it see how sweet it is. Not sure if they list all the ingredients out or there's just a generic 'spice' ingredient that's secret, maybe there's a copycat criollo recipe online?
Im still going to get some of that anchiote powder next time i find myself in a mexican grocery too.

A quick online search of regional pizza styles told me that a lot of New england pizza shops are owned by greek families instead of italians, and they tend to use olive oil in the crust and as a topping. A lot of mom and pop restaurants around chicago are owned by greek families, and usually the food is top notch, they put some love and care into it.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happen brother
we are going into week 3 of the preseason and will hopefully get one last look at our teams before the real season begins
so what are your thoughts on the how the bears preseason is going
the rams havent been playing their 1's but they have some young players who look like they might contribute
i like the young rb, henderson they picked up in the 3rd round and they have a few receivers who i am hoping find a roster spot
/rams are stacked at receiver
stater bros is one of those independent chains, i guess they are only on the west coast?
we also have a aldis; my mom loves the place
they have things that look like the brands we all recognize plus their own brands that are pretty good
one of our favorite finds is this hella spicy sauce with a touch of curry
the brand is hella ( but i still call it hella spicy sauce like the bay area slang) and its like this catsup but a little sweeter and has a bunch of other flavors
$10 for a bucket of chicken with two sides and a pack of hawaiian rolls is a great deal
i would totally go for the wedges too
i love greek food and enjoy the mom and pop places too
lots of flavors and when its made well its hard to beat
looks like we have a nice schedule of games tomorrow night and a full weekend of football ahead of us
the mrs and the girl are flying out tomorrow to get the kid settled at school
when mrsChicky asked what im going to do this weeekend while she is gone i told her drinking and football
i gotta get back into game shape for the regular season too
/cant be making those rookie mistakes early in the year

hope you are having a great week my man!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yup, week 3 is supposed to be when starters play the most, so this week's games might look like the real thing for a half or so.

The Bears are down to Eddie Piniero as kicker for now, he had a stronger leg than elliott fry so the bears like him better for kickoff duties. We've heard stories about the bears trying out a bunch of kickers in mini camps, but here's an article that is critical of the whole process:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/21/c...ssion-cody-parkey-miss-matt-nagy-eddy-pineiro

They brought in 9 kickers at one time when the most teams usually try out is 4. They brought in this one kicker 'expert' who was accused of favoring the guys who went to his kicking camps in high school and college, and then used this software and camera setup used in golf training to measure the flight of the ball. Then they would say things like: need to put more velocity on the ball. What's the ideal velocity I need? Oh, it varies from kicker to kicker. What?!?

I havent seen darrell henderson play, im going to have to catch some of the rams game sunday see how he looks. I know he averaged 9yds a carry in college so u know he's ripping off long runs regularly.

Aldi's is dope, and ur right, their house brands are just as good quality as name brands, if not better. I've never heard of the Hela spicy ketchup but it's available online, it's supposed to be a curry ketchup? Ive had a homemade curry ketchup before, wasnt sure i liked it but that may have been because i was expecting regular ketchup, and it wasnt spicy it just tasted like curry mixed in ketchup.
Have u ever had Whataburger? Theyre mostly in TX but supposedly they have a spicy ketchup that people are fans of. Think it's sold in stores too.

The potato wedges are great, little seasoned coating, deep fried probably in the same oil as the chicken, it's a lot 'meatier' than a typical french fry so you feel like youre taking bites of actual potato. I could eat a half lb like nothing.

Sounds like boys night out this weekend. Time to walk around in your underwear, drunk and high, for 2 days straight.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
(snipped some good stuff here),Time to walk around in your underwear, drunk and high, for 2 days straight.
just like ayother weekend then?!?
no, this weekend is special and i will wear my rams jersey( kind of like a whinny the poo thing)
i read that same si article baba' and i wonder if nagy is being a little over the top
/of course if the offense had played better it would not ahve come down to a kick to win the game
but it was a good read and it shows how competitive things get at that level
a friend sent me some link to a girl kicking 50yarders
i think she was in the eagles camp
not so sure how i would feel about a woman playing nfl football
rams play on saturday, v denver
while ive only seen limits action against second team defenses i think he might be worth taking a look at; especially if gurley is only going to see limited action during the regular season
im looking at the bottle now and its not really catsup but its definitely tomatoe based
im with you and only thought it was ok but the mrs loves the stuff
hope your week is wrapping up nicely and you are ready to kick off a great weekend of action
can you believe that next weekend is labor day?!?
the year is flying by brother and you could feel the fall in the air this mornig

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Heh, yeah, but this time lazing around in your skivvies you wont get complaints from the females in the household to cover yourself up.
Weather finally turned cooler around here, we're supposed to be in the low 70's with normal humidity for the next few days. It was pretty awfully humid the last week or two, felt like a sauna at times, ugh.

Yeah, the obsession with the missed 43yd FG seems overdone to me. Didnt nagy realize the ball was actually tipped, and still almost went through (double doink)? You can even make an argument that Parkey, who was let go, is probably better than any of the kickers the bears tried out to replace him.
That was carli lloyd, a member of the US women's soccer team, that hit a 55 yd FG at eagles camp. I think she cheated a bit though, she took a few steps run up, like a kickoff, whereas i think a FG attempt is just one step, plant and swing. But still impressive.
If there were ever a woman player in the NFL, it would be a kicker. I think there have been women kickers in college, one or two at the lower levels.

I thought curry ketchup was marketed more to Indian people, and I like curry in general but when i want ketchup i dont want any other flavors mixed in there, maybe a little spice (mix some tabasco in there if u want heat) but that's it, when im eating fries or something i just want ketchup taste, not curry and ketchup. But u know, different palates and all that.

Yeah, fall is coming up fast, which i guess is good cause it's football season. This week marks the opening game of college football, next week is week 1 of college football and the last week of NFL preseason. So yeah, time to gear up and get ready to waste a lot of hours watching the boob tube.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
thats the girl i was thinking of
i dont know if there is a place for a woman on an nfl team, even as a kicker
once the ball leaves her foot she then becomes a defender and while kickers arent usually counted on to make tackles, you are basically playing a man short at that point
plus, unless she dosent run downfield im sure there will be contact at some point
i hope that dident come across as being too sexist but the fact is football is a mostly physical sport and women cant match up at that level
great point about the ball being blocked and still almost making it in, twice (dbl doink)
they may have been better off sticking with parkey
hopefully this will be the year that trubs takes the next step and moves the offense forward
that funny bout the curry sauce, its almost not like catsup; like i wouldent dip fries in it
/i usually eat my fries plan
but its great with nuggets
hope your week closed on a good note and you are ready for a fun weekend of football

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Zach Ertz's (TE for Eagles) wife plays for the US womens team so i think that's why carli was hanging out, they had just won the womens world cup or something like that recently.

I hear you on equality. The womens soccer team wanted the same pay as the men's team, but the tv ratings are way higher for men, probably ticket prices too, so financially it doesnt make sense to pay them the same.
Not that women cant be strong and athletic, heck im sure most women athletes can kick my arse up and down the field, but at the highest levels of each sport you're not going to find women able to compete, at least physically. Although i would say maybe a woman kicker could provide decent kickoff coverage, most kickers arent really good tacklers anyway and mostly it's just getting in the returner's way and making him pause or jump and then ur teammates can catch up and make the tackle.

Yeah, that curry sauce had a bunch of german writing on it, so it didnt seem americanized at all. If i ever see it at aldis i might pick a bottle up, try it out on some chicken tendies or something. But if you ever see whataburger spicy ketchup for sale in a store, maybe pick up a bottle for ur wife, it's supposed to be pretty good.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i dont think we have whataburger here on the west coast but i could be wrong
how would you describe the catsup, maybe we can make our own version one day
that make a lot more sense now that you gave some background on the story
i wonder how she would have done if the heat was really on ; we saw in that si story how a lot of things effect a kicker
i dont even think she should get in the returners way and i would be worried about any contact she would take; even a block at speed can put you on your ass
thats a great point about how womens sports are not as popular as mens sports, so how can they expect equal pay when it dosent generate the same revenue
also, this would quickly bankrupt any league having to pay out huge numbers to the players, when they arent drawing in anywhere near the revenue
so there is a bears game later today (4p wct) and i will prbably watch the first half before jumping over to the rams game at 6p
hope you are in game shape and ready for a half of football!
/or in canada an 80y half)

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yknow ive never had it either but people swear by their regular ketchup and their spicy ketchup, and i know it's sold in stores even in states where there are no whataburger locations, plus u can get it online. There arent any whataburgers in CA but there are in AZ.

The curry ketchup I had was some leftovers from a food vendor; turns out my sister in law gets these leftover spices and such from a cleaning business she works for, these people stay in chicago for weeks or months on a project and she comes in and cleans after them, and they leave behind all sorts of spices and such. So one day she gave me two big plastic containers of ketchup, the regular one was great, super thick and tomatoey, loved it. The curry one was the same but had a pronounced curry taste that was surprising to me, i didnt know what to use it on so eventually i dumped it.

Most kickers are like the last line of defense on coverage, at that point i figure if you just fall down in front of them u have a decent chance of tripping them up or slowing them down so others can make the tackle. But honestly, im not even sure a female kicker has the leg strength to boot kickoffs like a male kicker can.

Im making some pork tenderloin and sirlion tip roast on the cooker today, ill be sure to post some pics when i can!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
wow...
the afc was just turned on its side
like hyf' said, luck just announced he is done with plating football during lasts nights colts game
i was watching the rams game when the news came out and at first even the announcers were kind of scratching their heads; could this be true?1?
after the game they showed the presser where he officially announced his retirement and you could see it was a really tough decision for him to make
he has been pretty beat up the past few seasons and im sure he is doing what is best for him and his family
i was never really a fan of luck but i always enjoyed watching him play

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, had the end of the bears game playing, 4th quarter wasnt really watching it but the announcers mentioned that schefter tweeted Luck is retiring so that was pretty surprising.

I guess the calf/ankle injury wasnt getting any better, and i thought maybe he'd miss a few weeks of the regular season, but for him to retire just came out of left field. I was like, all this over a high ankle sprain? Dude could make another 200M in this game easy over the next 7-8 yrs, sure he'll continue to have injuries but no one's going to be pressuring him to play while hurt after what happened in '16-'17.

But like barry sanders and megatron, he has FU money in the bank and he's not living a bling lifestyle, so whether he had 50M or 150M in the bank, i dont think his lifestyle would change much. Plus his dad makes good money so i dont think he has to support his family beyond his wife and kid(s).

Some people are blaming Grigson, the former GM of the colts, for not surrounding luck with better talent in the first 4 yrs of his career. Also maybe the offense in general and luck's own courage had him holding the ball a long time and getting hammered every dropback.

The only possible upside to this is that you have Tua and Trevor coming out in the next 2 drafts so if the colts tank this season or next they could get the next HOF QB. But i think their defense might be too good to only win 2-3 games this season or next...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
you are right about luck living pretty modestly for someone of his worth, baba'
im sure he feels like he is at a point where he has accomplished most of his own personal goals and is financially set for the rest of his life (and even into the after world,he has "generational" money)
the colts were a playoff team last season and had enough talent on the field to make it interesting; plus like you said, the D was on the rise
i think it comes down to the amount of work he has to put in just to be andrew luck, plus another year or working through another injury
i dont think hes really gone into the details of why hes not going to play anymore, but i would be really interested in hearing his story
so i had to pause for a second to remember the colts backup qb, jacoby brisset
it looks like he can put up ok stats but im sure the colts are going to be in the market for a new qb
so how did the bears look yesterday? i ended up going for a bike ride and missed the game but was home in time to watch the rams play
rams v broncos was pretty mediocre but you can see a couple players who look like they might make the cut
speaking of cuts, how did you meat turn out?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Thats the thing, i dont think any of the bears starters played this past weekend. I tuned in early in the 1st quarter and chase daniel was already playing, and checking the box score i found out trubisky and none of the other starters played yet. Same with the rams game, none of their starters played a snap either. Usually the 3rd preseason game the starters might play a half, but not for nagy and mcvay. So i guess i wont really see how the bears look until the opening game of the season, next next thursday night vs the packers. It'll be interesting to see how the packers look with their new coach.

Luck lives in indianapolis, so im pretty sure he can get a mansion or penthouse for like way less than what it would cost in LA or NY or even chicago. And i think when he signed his big extension a few years ago, paying him 25M/yr, someone asked him what he would buy with all that money, and he struggled to come up with something but finally said he would buy a ping pong robot, so he could play ping pong by himself.

He's not going to buy super luxury cars and six figure jewely/watches, but if anything he'll spend his money on travel. He spent some time growing up in europe when his dad was commissioner of NFL Europe, and he spent a few months in the netherlands rehabbing his shoulder injury last year.

It's just weird, he seemed so indestructible his first few years in the league, defenders would slam him to the ground and he'd pat their helmet and say 'nice hit'. No other QB does that. And then it all caught up to him with the shoulder thing in '15/'16 and he missed a whole season in '17 but last year he seemed better than ever, 4500 yds and 40tds, finally a great o-line, a good defense, they were attracting a lot of bets as super bowl contenders and luck as an mvp candidate.

And then this whole calf thing that kept him out of mini camps, and then it became a high ankle sprain in training camp. Who retires over a high ankle sprain? It's a really bad injury for a WR/RB, takes 4-6 weeks to recover and even afterwards it can sap their performance, but for a QB? Sure, he's got to drop back and plant, but tape it up and put a brace on it or something.

But in his own words he said the last 4 years the constant rehab and treatment of injuries sucked the joy of the game from him, and he recently got married and his wife is pregnant so he's ready to move on to the next chapter of his life. So good for him that he's able to walk away on his own terms, but in this day and age when QBs are protected more than ever and are playing into their 40s, Luck's career did not turn out as i expected.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Luck's career did not turn out as i expected.
-bababooey

this all the way man
but what you just said about him recently getting married and has a baby on the way brings it all into focus; luck is just stepping into his nest role in life, the full time dad
/great insight brother
the colts were on the rise and with luck were a favorite to win their division so we will see how the souf' shakes out
the rams preseason is all about the young talent
we have a bunch of young wrs and a lb or two who looked good; next week will be fun because it will be all about who can stand out against the 2-3rd string
with less and less teams playing their a'teams maybe its time to shorten the pre-season

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I made a pork loin and a sirloin tip roast on the cooker this weekend. Both were well seasoned and nicely smoky but I think i overcooked both of them. With these lean meats i didnt want to smoke them since there's not much fat to render down so I kept the temp between 250-300 but left them on too long i think. Still, they make great sandwich meats which is what i was going for anyway. Next time i wont be lazy and ill break out the wireless thermometer so i can take an internal temp. I really need to get a regular cooking thermometer just so i can check done-ness better than poking it with a finger or tongs and trying to determine done-ness by resistance or springiness of the meat...

picture.php

picture.php

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
they both look pretty good, the beef might be more on the done side but it still looks like it tasty
the pork looks like it has a nice flavor crust going on there, maybe some gravy or a sauce could help it out
/evey try apple sauce on your pork?
i could see cutting the beef up thin and i bet it would make great sandwiches
cheese steaks, french dip, man you can go wrong with that
looks like some good eating there brother!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think ive had apple sauce with pork once or twice at restaurants where it came with the meal, i remember liking it but it wasn't something i would go out of my way to get for my own pork dishes at home. Although Ive done the cranberry sauce with turkey for thanksgiving a couple times.

In general i tend to prefer savory sauces like gravy with meat dishes, the only sweet sauces i usually go for are bbq sauces.

Both meats were cooked through, but surprisingly there was some red juice in the beef pan, not much so maybe it was just clear juices colored by the rub?

I made both of these for sandwiches, i was thinking of some sort of smoked italian beef for the tip roast but obviously i cooked it too much. Still, i could slice it thin and make an au jus to dip it in and that would be italian beef style, but right now it's fine as is. The seasoning and smokiness taste great on bread, with a little cheese (have to have cheese) on a toasted roll it's a fine sammich.

I guess we're waiting till the 2019 regular kicks off before starting a 2019 thread, which won't be for another 10 days or so (packers vs bears on thurs night).

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
your call baba'
we could start the new thread after this weekends games i guess
im with you and prefer the savory sauces too, but i like applesauce with pork chops
you mention some red juices in the pan, one thing i like to do is cut all the meat up thin and then put it back into its juices to get it wet again
sometimes i will add a touch of apple cider vinegar to the pork too for a little extra layer of taste
so not expecting any starters to play this thursday for the rams but i will still watch the game
im thinking the colts are going to be the only team to play anyone of value this week, im sure brisset can use some reps before the season

hope eveyones team looked good during the preseason and you are all ready for the action to begin!