What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2016

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
I am a huge Ttttttthe U fan and have been my whole life. So I am unbiased and like each player equally and proud to see such a strong pipe line of great RBs from Miami make it in the nfl but at the end of the day.....gore never had 2 hall of fame WRs and possibly one of the top 3 qbs to ever play the game on his team, I think me or Deez could've won a rushing title or two on the offense. Also to say James was going to be the "greatest" running back ever is a bit dramatic thats comparing him to the likes of Jim brown, Barry sanders, Walter Payton, etc... All of who are in the hall of fame and which James will probably never make.

Bring up all the hypotheticals you want but here is some straight up cold facts.

Number of seasons James played with Payton manning, 7 Gore 0. Enough said.

iTarzan

I never started the James and Gore debate. I was just entertaining it. I said Gore was a fumbler last year. He was. Not hypothetically either. Big, game losing, heartbreaking fumbles. Without the Gore fumbles the Colts win 3 more games maybe. Certainly 2. That makes them 10-6 or 11-5. Hmmmm!

No it was not enough said Otto.. You are slinging bullshit Otto. Sanders didn't play with Manning. Either did Faulk or Dickerson.

My argument that James is greater than Gore is based on facts that did happen. Thinking about what James could have done without the injury was the only hypothetical. Stats are not hypothetical. Only 2 RBs ever won the NFL rushing title the first 2 years they played. James and Jim Brown. James was on his way to great historical heights.

Otto your argument is totally based on a hypothetical what if. It also leaves out Dickerson and Faulk > Gore.

Whatever Gore does compared to James now is a product of longevity.

I was just talking football. Talked positive about 49ers and Lynch and even the Bears and players they got. I guess it could happen someday on this thread that someone tosses a positive about the Colts on this thread.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Frank Gore is only a few hundred yards from passing Faulk and Edge and even the great Jim Brown for career rushing yards. He's a warrior but he did have some untimely fumbles last year in critical moments; very uncharacteristic of him, maybe he's showing his age?

I remember Edge being a dominant player right from the start but forgot that he tore his acl early in his career. Tarzan is known for hyperbole but in this case he might have a point: without that injury, Edgerrin probably would have cracked the 15,000 yard mark, with an outside shot at Payton's or Emmitt's rushing totals.
I also remember the Colts not liking that he trained in Miami during the offseason and not in Indy, which seemed silly to me. Obviously training away from the team and teammates didnt hurt his performance, so whats the big deal? He was also known for being a night owl during the offseason, often working out after midnite. Again, he had a different way of doing things, but you cant argue with results.

And Marshall Marshall Marshall was the greatest receiving/running threat since, well, Roger Craig? I never really did see Craig play though, so for me a better comparison for Faulk would be LaDainian Tomlinson, even though Tomlinson started his career after Faulk. Sucked for Colts fans that Marshall won his ring with the Rams instead of with them, but what can ya do?

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Baba, wont disagree James could've ran for more yards without the knee injury my point is more that he was never the primary defensive game plan to stop the Colts. When you have Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and to a lesser extent Dallas Clark those lanes are gonna be a little wider and for any RB, IMO. Rb's like Gore, Barry Sanders, Dickerson, and even today for example Adrian Peterson I feel were more dominate because they didn't have a bunch of hall of fame weapons around them to help keep the defenses from stacking the box and they still put up all time top 10 numbers. We can debate all day who the top 10 rb's are but its a matter of opinion, but some people have a hard time respecting others views unless you think exactly like they do so its hardly worth trying to have an adult talk about. Also a lot of teams got upset with former UM players because they do/did go back to Miami to train with all the alumni. Jeremy Shockey I remember was a big deal doing it at the time.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Are good RB's helped by being on a good offense, so the defense can't stack 8 or 9 guys near the line of scrimmage? That makes sense, then again, good RB's on bad offenses could put up big numbers because they get so many more opportunities (rushing and receiving attempts) because they're the only weapon on that team.
Edge was the #4 overall draft pick the year he came out, and at 6 ft, 220lbs ran a 4.38 40 yard dash. So he had plenty of power and speed, and would have done well on any team he played on.
If anything, I think the offensive line has more to do with a RB's success than the QB and receivers (or lack of) he plays with; Edge spent 3 yrs with Arizona after he left the Colts, and the cardinals were bottom five in offensive line DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) during those years, and his yards per carry plummeted from 4.4 to 3.4. Plus, he was 8 years into his career by the time he played with the cardinals, and 5 yrs removed from the knee injury, he probably wasnt in his prime by then...

You have to hand it to iTarzan, he's a die-hard Colts fan. Little unreasonable, sure, but isn't that the definition of die-hard?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i think edge is the greatest colt rb by far
if it wasnt for the injury who knows how his career could have went

are we even considering gore a colt now?
in my mind he will always be a 49'er and unless he goes nutto and wins a SB in ind i will always see him in the red and gold

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
colts are renting the best niners rb statistically in team history...until he retires. I doubt gore pull a peyton.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so who are some of the up and coming backs that you guys like?

will we see the packers eddie lacy return to form?
rumor has it hes lost some weight and cleaned up his diet and cut back on the drinking

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15721650/trainer-green-bay-packers-eddie-lacy-weigh-running-back

i also like the kid in tampa bay, doug martin.

one back im def going to keep an eye on this season is latavius murray
it looks like hes won over the coaches and could be primed for a big season
if he suprises on the upside again, this could mean big things for oakland

and i havent given up hope on melvin gordon just yet
i like the way this kid finishes his runs and if he can have a solid season i think it could be a turning point for the chargers
hopefully last year was just a fluke and he lives up to his potential, but we will see

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Is Eddie Lacy slim and trim? Showing off those 6 pack abs?
I think he's one of those dudes who's going to struggle with his weight off and on; he just loves food too much. You would think being an NFL skill position player, with all the working out and running he does, it would be easy to keep the bad weight off, but somehow he manages to eat enough to get fat. Dude must be inhaling 10k calories a day, mostly junk food...

Doug Martin looked good last year after a year or two of subpar performances. Latavious is fast (ran a 4.38 40 yd dash at the combine, same as edgerrin james) and has some big runs in his career but can he do it over a full season? I guess he played all 16 games last year, but got less than 300 carries, so not enough opportunities to really put up big stats.

Melvin Gordon? Eh. Maybe he'll break out, maybe he won't. He certainly can't do any worse than he did last year.

One rookie RB who might be a top five back this year is Ezekiel Elliot. Maybe the cowboys drafted him too high at #4 overall, but he has all the tools and behind that line, he could get 1500 yds rushing, 500 yds receiving, 12-15 tds total? Or is that the crack pipe talking?

Put the pipe down, Baba, just put it down...

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
shhhh....zeke is gonna be dope....that will be all I say about him until after fantasy drafts are complete

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
ill wait to see how he looks in the pre-season before making any comment on elliot
he is going to be running behind a good line and with an aging romo he could get to see a lotof touches if he can handle it

urban myers did pretty well in the draft this year

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Baba, pass that pipe over here :) I am not in love with taking a rb as high as zeke especially with the track record of great rbs taken in rounds 3 and later but for the Cowboys situation I think it was a good pick. I admit I wanted Ramsey but he's already hurt shows how much I know. If zeke can be 75% of todd gurley he's gonna have a outstanding career with a line that has 4 1st round picks on it, seem like this was meant to be.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
/reaches for pipe as it passes by but ends up breaking a colar bone
#ryanmathews

it kind of says a lot about how much the c-boys need that play maker running back
they looked liek they were about to make the jump to the next level with murray but....

ol double j is going all in and hoping this is the final piece to put the cowboys over the top

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ah ha ha ha, I thought I heard you ask me if you could have some of my crack.
The answer would be NO, no you can't. Get yo own damn crack, you sunz-uh-beaches.

[Takes huge hit off glass dick, coughs explosively]

Alright, where were we? Oh, yeah, who here thinks Jeremy Langford, RB for the Bears, will be a top 10 RB this season? Anyone, anyone?
What, you think Jordan Howard (drafted 5th round last month, out of U of Indiana), Kadeem Carey and even Jacquizz Rodgers (formerly of the Niners, out of U of Oregon) all have better talent and upside than Langford? Ok, whatever. Haters.

[takes another huge rip off glass dick, eyes start bugging out]

Whadeez, if you thought Zeke Elliott is going to be a sleeper pick this season, think again. Everyone, 'experts' and FF players alike, think he's going to be as sure a thing at RB as Adrian Peterson or Leveon or Gurley.

Otto: maybe taking a RB that high wasn't ideal for the Cowboys, since they have needs on defense. Also, they could have kept Demarco (a 3rd rd pick when he came out, from U of Oklahoma) last offseason and not have needed to spend their 1st rounder to replace him this year, but I guess for cap reasons they let Demarco go to the Eagles.
Jalen Ramsey already tore the meniscus in his knee in his first mini camp for the Jags? Maybe the jaguars need a new training staff; Dante Fowler tore his acl in his first camp last year, now Ramsey injures his knee. Hopefully ramsey will still suit up this year. Quite a few experts thought he was the best player in the draft...

Poprocks, that's hilarious about Ryan Mathews hurting himself reaching for a pipe. Although he was mostly healthy last year, and still has plenty of speed and receiving skill to boot. But yeah, it must have been frustrating to watch him as a chargers fan...

Eugene Monroe of the Ravens wrote an interesting article for the Players Tribune on why the NFL should allow players to use cannabis for medical purposes: pain relief, fight inflammation, neuro-protectant. I thought it was a well-reasoned article, he's making the point that cannabis is much less harmful and addictive than the opiate based painkillers players are frequently prescribed for every injury and surgery they have during their careers.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
/shakes magic 8-ball ferociously
outlook not good

im not feeling the bears right now and dont expect much from them this season.
they are playing in a tough division and you are going to need at least 10 wins* to wild card in the nfc
/*unless you play in the east
//plus they have to play gb and min twice
im seeing a pass heavy offence lead by the cannon armed sharp shooter j-cutty
maybe im wrong but i tihkn they need a lot more pieces to the puzzle to return to where they once were
/flashs forward to the end of the 2016 season where the bears are 16-0

so whats the deal wiht cap?!?!
it sounds like he could make a move to denver and have a good chance to start
but elway is super cheap so it would def mean a pay cut
i htink hes done in the bay and while he would make more money ( i think hes guaranteed something in the teens of millions this year) it sounds like he might be loose the starting job to blain gabbert

if he sits out this season expect to see his value go straight down the following year.
on the other hand, making the move to mile high could give him a legit shot at seeing the post season and reestablishing himself as a top tier QB

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ahahahah.. your magic 8 ball sees 16-0 in the Bears' future?
Stop smoking that PCP, that stuff'll mess you up.

Maybe da Bears will finish 8-8; if they compete for a playoff spot it'll be a minor miracle but stranger things have happened.
I'm just glad this is the last year of Cutler; I think no more guaranteed money on the books for him after this year.
Although, with the way qb salaries have skyrocketed the last 2 years, paying him 17-18M a year may not be all that outrageous. Still, I HATE HATE HATE his untimely turnovers.
But knowing our luck, next year he goes to another team and puts up some pro bowl caliber years. Well, sometimes you just gotta eat excrement and praise the taste.

Kaepernick is on the 49ers to stay. Elway isn't a cheapskate, necessarily, he's just bound by the hard salary cap of the NFL. He's got so much money tied up in that championship defense he can't pay market rate for a franchise QB. And who knows, maybe the Sanchize, with a fresh start, can keep his turnovers down and do enough on offense to help the defense win some games.

I think Kaepernick will beat out Gabbert for the #1 spot, physically he's more talented than Blaine. True, Colin doesn't like the 49ers front office but the best thing he can do for his career is put up big numbers and get some big time trade offers next offseason. Then he can wipe the dust of Baalke and York from his feet and move on to greener pastures...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i think 8-8 would be considered a success in chi this year
but you never know, its the nfl and stranger things ahve happened
not a fan of cutler but like you said even low to mid grade qbs are worth their weight in gold

def agree that cap is way more tallented than gabbert but i guess its up to chip kelly as to who starts

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
kaep will start for the niners this season, he just started throwing against the D in mandatory ota's that just wrapped up....still has not been fully medically cleared since the early offseason surgeries. kelly has been praising him, and niners PR department has been featuring him on the website a whole lot more of late.

he's not going to be traded unless someone wants to pay him the whole enchilada, which no one does...especially not elway, donkey's don't have nearly enough cap space to bring him in even on something restructured...von miller is still sitting out of ota's waiting to get paid. once kaep wins 9ers qb competition, 9ers won't trade him even for current market/contract value imo.

gabbert has got the most punchable fucking face I swear....that, and he plays ball like a GIRL(sandlot refrence)

da bears are always a toss up for me, langford is good but not forte...cutler is cutler...at least you guys have fangio. admittedly I havent been following the nfc north as good as I probably should, but the niners arent playing that division in it's entirety this year.