What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

next move not sure

cravin morehead

Veteran
hey guys, beginning amateur pollen chucked here. been growing for decades and making a few seeds here and there for myself and a few others I know. but recently I made a cross that i'm just now beginning to sample. it's got a few days left but my early tester was absolutely phenomenal to me! I had a real nice Sssdh girlie from Res I bought about 2010ish. she was a beauty, good structure, delicious scent and flavor, and high was soaring. sadly I lost the mom... however at that time I also had a beautiful Blueberry ak47 from Joey Weed male. what a nice looking boy. massive clusters of male flowers, trichomes everywhere main stalk included. and he reeked of blueberry pie. so I hit that Sssdh with some Pollen from the bbak47. I ended up with around 30 or so seeds. the first seed of this cross is almost done, in my signature is the grow. im calling her Ssb47 or Super Sour Berry 47. first early samples are fantastic! much, much better than I had hoped for. now my question is how should I proceed to try and reproduce this pheno? I know it's gonna take a long, long time to really get anywhere with this, but I got no other breeding plans for the next 50 years or so. and I just can't run a bunch of seeds at one time. I think I just answered my own question. unless I have lottery winners luck, it ain't going to happen. maybe I'll just pop a few seeds Ata time looking for a male with the best representation of what I want, and cross it back to the mother I have now. or I guess try to reverse a cut of this mom and pollinate her with the reversed pollen. I have zero experience reversing a plant and not sure I want to get involved in that. or maybe I'll just make sure I give out enough cuts of her so I can be reasonably sure she'll be around for a long time. I'm leaning towards keeping the mom going and popping more seeds to see what others come down the pipe.
sorry for this post, it's really just me thinking out loud isn't it.

cm

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Agreed with above for a quick and easy way, but realize the resulting prodginy most likely will be all over the place as far as phenos go.

I would grow out as many males and females as you can and make more seeds. If you really like the strain that's the best way. Open pollinate and search through the results for a killer mother. Go from there.

seeded

Since you no longer have the parents the closest you can get to keeping it all in the family is to make F2s using siblings which being a polyhybrid will give you phenos galore and as you can't run the numbers to see how they're going to play out you're unable to move forward with any kind of certainty as to what the next generation will hold. Chimera in another thread called it double blind pollen chucking as you don't know the chemotype or phenotype which isn't breeding at all. You'll likely still get good results but moving in a chosen direction isn't really going to happen without running the numbers needed to see the different paths you can take.

So personally I'd make regular (for insurance) and feminized F2s and then focus on the fem line because you will have a far easier time of locking down down the desirable traits only growing out girls. Not only will you get to see how they grow but you're going to be far more inclined to grow them longer than males which will stop you breeding from plants that herm easier or later flowering and once smoked you'll know exactly which plants you want to reverse and hit with pollen too. It'll still produce pheno hell as you're working with polyhybrids but traits like very high potency will become extremely common allowing you to focus on seeking out rarer ones you want like the blueberry pie terps you mentioned from the original father. You'll still need to run numbers in the long run to get it exactly the way you want and it'll be well fun if you decide to put males back in there down the line but realistically that's probably your best way forward.

cravin morehead

Veteran
thanks guys. that's basically what I was thinking. I think I may do an open pollination and encourage people I know to run the seeds produced. I think that may be a little quicker to find what I'm looking for in this line. truthfully, I think I already got my keeper mom plant. but who knows what's in the rest of those seeds. lots of good genes from both sides in there somewhere. I don't know hardly any other growers, so I got some teaching and recruiting to do. thanks again guys.
** I may not vote on any more threads today...*
cm

Easy7

Veteran
Fems will be all over the place.

I would reveg for cuts and run those or backcross after a reveg.

Latest posts

Latest posts