What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Next Gen Digi ballast 400 & 600

whodair

Veteran
I'd like to know more about these, the only bad thing about lumitek 600 watt is that they don't take both bulbs. You have to use a conversion bulb and I don't think they are as good as a regular MH.

i hate the fact there is no 600 mh bulb. the conversion bulbs are inefficient and expensive. so just plan on running that 600 hps only.

AND i bought 600w agrosun bulb and it flickers like a disco strobe on the lumatek 600. the hortilux 600 bulb is fine on the lumatek. agrosun is a hydrofarm company and im surprised they're not up to snuff in that way.

PFCStone

I am a newb and just got my DH catalog. Of all the lighting systems/configurations out there the NextGen 600Watt/400Watt certainly looks attractive and very useful in a stealth cabinet. I'll be getting one soon!

M

moses224

I run 400's in my quantum 600 just adjust ballast to 75% no problems. I have a feeling these new digi are all the same or close to it

N

nekoloving

i hate the fact there is no 600 mh bulb. the conversion bulbs are inefficient and expensive. so just plan on running that 600 hps only.

AND i bought 600w agrosun bulb and it flickers like a disco strobe on the lumatek 600. the hortilux 600 bulb is fine on the lumatek. agrosun is a hydrofarm company and im surprised they're not up to snuff in that way.

perhaps i can brighten up your day. there are now a couple 600w mh conversion bulbs for hps ballasts:

http://www.bghydro.com/search/?q=60...productimage.productname.description&filter=0

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics...-e49-metal-halide-conversion-bulb-p-1282.html

perhaps a bit more searching on google lol ;)

M

moses224

he said: i hate the fact there is no 600 mh bulb. the conversion bulbs are inefficient

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
honestly, my exhaust fans drone out any noise from my digi 1k ballasts. So I don't notice.
i have the next gen 1k that CAP sent out to stores as a tester and it's been working fine since i got it. I also have a quantum 1k ballast that a friend of mine got and he thinks it is too loud. he switched to galaxies and is happier now. i'd either go nextgen or galaxy. both have 5 year (3/2) warranties and come from companies that are very easy to deal with. i've heard lumatek can be a bitch when it comes to replacements, and don't get me started on quantum and their dealers.
plus the next gens can be easily set up in a slotted server box style setup which is nice if you're running multiple 1k ballasts and want to aircool them instead of the room they're in. just 2 cents....

N

nekoloving

he said: i hate the fact there is no 600 mh bulb. the conversion bulbs are inefficient

WELCOME TO PROGRESSIVE GROWTH HYDROPONICS
600 Watt gavita Veg Lamp (Back to product)
clearpixel.gif
Home » Light Kits, Ballasts, Bulbs & Reflectors » Metal Halide Bulbs
clearpixel.gif

checkout.gif
600 Watt gavita Veg Lamp
gavita-metal-halide-l.gif
95% effecient. Amazing uniformity in light spread with 10% more light on the plant canopy.

More vigorous vegetative growth and stronger roots. Adjustable lamp base for perfect alignment.

Operates with any 600 watt High Pressure Sodium Ballast !
Price: $159.95
ca.gif

134.50 USD
us.gif

only point here is it claims to be very efficiant - i'm sure the same bulb could be found much cheaper elsewhere
http://www.progressive-growth.com/proddetail.php?prod=slrmx-6m

irieeyes808

Rusty Shacklfor, they just came out with the new 600HPS to 400MH I had to pick one up and those massive, 8 can fan Max fan, so we shall see I got a pretty good deal at my fave hydro store under 400 bucks with a ventilated 6 hood and Hortilux bulb upgrade,

dbfr3sh

i got one of these nextgen 400 with the hortilux bulb upgrade from DH. been using it for a MONTH with no issues...first time using an hps so i cant compair but this bitch is real bright. the ballast i dont think is that loud, i leave mine in a closet and with the door closed you can barely hear it and with the tv on you cant tell anything. really nice start up the only thing i dont like is the metal inside the lumenair 6in aircooled hood. i picked up mine for 325$ shipped from DH, ballast, bulb, and reflector.

Dozee

I like them

I like them

I own 5 next gen 1000w, 4 -600w lumitecs anda 400w lumitec.
Imo the next gen noise is nothing compared to the fans and my ebb and grow pump. or the sound of my trays..
also next gen boasts 30% increase in lumins lumitec 20%.
another thing next gen has nice features and better customer support . a few friends have had problems with ballasts and lumitec never called back after several calls..
any who i love boulth of the ballasts alot..

L

LJB

I have used the 600w digital Lumatek for the last few years and recently switched to the 600w Nextgen and prefer the latter.

It weighs less, gives off less heat, has multiple cord receptacles built in and I found them for $40-$50 less than the current price for the Lumatek at stores in the local area.

I strongly urge fellow citizens of the U.S.A. to consider that the NextGen, by Custom Automated Products, is at least assembled in our country.

http://www.randmsupply.com/index.php

Lumatek is a U.K. based company whose products are manufactured and assembled in China.

Carboy

I have used the 600w digital Lumatek for the last few years and recently switched to the 600w Nextgen and prefer the latter.

Recently switched too.

It weighs less, gives off less heat, has multiple cord receptacles built in and I found them for $40-$50 less than the current price for the Lumatek at stores in the local area.

Very flexible. Can use very long lite cords. Generator, if necessary. Big voltage range. Bulb and Watt choices. Less bucks never hurts.

I strongly urge fellow citizens of the U.S.A. to consider that the NextGen, by Custom Automated Products, is at least assembled in our country.

CAP seems to make other dependable products and have always been great to deal w/ the few times i talked to tech. I think they'll support warranty if required. I'm all for the US manufacturing and want to encourage that.

http://www.randmsupply.com/index.php

Lumatek is a U.K. based company whose products are manufactured and assembled in China.

Lumatek had way too many problems (and maybe they've been corrected) but the hydro shop i use won't carry them because of past troubles.
Didn't have any bitches or bad experiences w/ Galaxy. My thoughts were NextGen was worth trying. We'll see. So far i'm pleased.
CB

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
I really dug my nextgen 400-600 ballast until a couple days ago... I had it for 3 months in use, and I went down 2 days ago to find my bulb wasn't fired, and the red led on the ballast was blinking.. The ballast said the Red blinking light in means it was running to hot, or there was a fault... In this case it was the latter.. tried both a new 400 & 600 bulb, unplugging, cooling it down, and nadda. It's dead.

The good news is so far C.a.p has been solid with their problem resolution & warrenty service.

I really hope this was/is an isolated case... Like I said before this I really thought these ballasts to be top of the line, and put together well. I lost a water pump the same week, so it very well coulda been a surge or something.

On another note those two tiny fans on the back of the unit people are complaining about are damn near silent sitting next to a tent with 300+cfm turbo fan runnin LOL.. Maybe if u spent 90% of ur life in a church or library you may notice it hehe. Really if the noise of those two smaller then pc fans is a turn off or to loud for ya, then I dont know... Seems like splitting hairs to me.. Much less noise coming from those 2 fans then ur standard aquarium air pump IMO. Maybe the 1000's have stronger fans, but on the 400-600 unit nothing to worry about unless you need to hear a pin drop to consider ur grow stealthy enough... U wont hear that unit in a grow room where much stronger fans/scrubbers/ducting/pumps are going 24/7

irieeyes808

MisterPostman, man that sucks sorry for your loss, call them up ASAP an from what I have heard they will replace and or ship out a replacement??? I have had mine now but have yet to set up a new room.

I just finished flowering my first crop of purple kush under a new 600 W Nextgen and the results are great. I am very happy with the ballast and would go with the same brand in the future for sure. I have some pics in my albums here if anyone wants to check out the results.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
For what it's worth I bought the first edition of the Lumitek 750's (before the 1Kw was released) and they have been running 12/12 for about three years no problem. I'm going to get off my lazy butt and change the bulbs after this round. I am also going to upgrade to new 1Kw's and retire the 750's to a new location.

Peace :joint:

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
MisterPostman, man that sucks sorry for your loss, call them up ASAP an from what I have heard they will replace and or ship out a replacement??? I have had mine now but have yet to set up a new room.

Yes, they were quick to take care of the problem so far... Not sure if they will fix this unit or just send a replacement, but so far it seems it'll be resolved without issue.. I'll update and let ya'll know what happens.

2 cents

2 cents

i have one on loan while my purple Lumatek is in the shop burned out.
it did fine the first 2 weeks then i noticed that the fans would go on full blast for a minute or so when it first comes on?
it does not seem to affect anything though, just weird.

i like it overall... cool running, small and lightweight!

Latest posts

Latest posts