What's new

News reports about edibles

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
There has been a lot of news about edibles lately. CBS morning show sensationalized the recent (maybe) edible related deaths, but I thought the rest of the report was reasonable. Anyway I got out a Cheeba Chew candy and to get it to the 10 mg recommended dose I would have to use a magnifying glass and cut it into 7 little pieces. Is that because I have a higher tolerance? 10 mg seems unreasonable to me. Does anyone understand their thinking?

They are grasping at straws to try and keep the dea/police jobs and control of the mega.mega sums of money to be made off of medical/legalized marijuana

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
You cannot die from cannabis itself.

I once saw an interview with Dr. Lester Grinspoon, he was discussing the lethal dose or LD50 (50% lethal dose of a known substance), basically every substance on earth has a lethal dose, you can die from too much aspirin, beer, salt water etc...

But cannabis has no known LD50, so even if you could die from cannabis the amount you would have to ingest would be so ungodly high it would be impossible to pull off.

This is the media fear mongering, just ignore it. These people might have been high on weed at the time of their death but I will guarantee it was some other substance or accident that killed them.

RB56

Veteran
I guy jumped off a building and died. The other shot his wife and killed her. Both are supposed to been under the influence of edibles. Not an overdose, crazy behavior while under the influence. Certainly could have been other issues involved.

OTOH, I had some pretty unpleasant experiences while perfecting my edible production and dosing. It's not inconceivable to me that an inexperienced person might freak out while experiencing the same thing.

I think they're just asking to develop some standards so that a planned quiet afternoon doesn't turn out to be something much more intense and potentially frightening.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I guy jumped off a building and died. The other shot his wife and killed her. Both are supposed to been under the influence of edibles. Not an overdose, crazy behavior while under the influence. Certainly could have been other issues involved.

OTOH, I had some pretty unpleasant experiences while perfecting my edible production and dosing. It's not inconceivable to me that an inexperienced person might freak out while experiencing the same thing.

I think they're just asking to develop some standards so that a planned quiet afternoon doesn't turn out to be something much more intense and potentially frightening.

That is much more understandable.

I can see where they could freak a person out if they are not expecting it. I personally don't like edibles, too intense for me. Weed can sometimes make a crazy person even crazier, that's a downside of legalization now anyone can have access to the strongest forms of MJ even people that are not mentally or intellectually capable of handling the drug.

I've heard a lot about dumb dumbs leaving their medibles where they can be accessed by their young kids and the kids eating them by accident.

blastfrompast

Veteran
The problem is when people who are not used to edibles end up eating way too much.

That time JUST before they green-out can be pretty disturbing for them... A friend experienced hallucinations...and kept passing out and having nightmares..at one point he was awake and THOUGHT he was still passed out and and still dreaming....Messed up to say the least...

He will never eat an edible again.

Latest posts

Latest posts