What's new

Newbie grower...super long stems after 14 days

h2osho

I'm a first time grower. You can say I'm in the infant stages of growing. My first few seeds I started in soil and three have come up. However they are ultra long in stems and one is SO tall already it's falling over and can't hold itself up.

WHY is this HAPPENING? Is this natural?

These pictures are 14 days exactly after seeding. I have used flourescent lights only. Single bulb 75W.

Lights on about 18hrs. Using Reverse Osmosis water with basic plant NUTES. I know I should buy some good Clonex soon.

I bought a 24" DUAL bulb T5 today and will hang it tomorrow.

My next batch this weekend will be in rockwool with the T5 lights going 24hrs after germination.

Attachments

• Can1.jpg
    Can1.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 25

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Your lights are def to far away. The plants are stretching towards the light. So if u lower the bulb or even add another you'll be better. U might have to transplant a little deeper than usual that can help to the stand them up straight. But def lower your lights 100%

Edit. - are you planning on germinating in Rockwool. I mean that's fine but a note for a new grower sometimes it's tough to get good germ rates. As long as you read up on rockwool and germinating in it ull be fine. Just make sure you research the proper information before go ahead. That way it will eliminate future problems. That's my :2cents:

h2osho

WOW!!!

I LOVE this forum already!

And YES I hung my light about 24" above the seedlings and off center. So they grew in the direction of the light!

Man you guys are GREAT!

Can I SALVAGE these plants?

~
I'm going to germinate in paper towels tomorrow and then work on hangin my new T5 for the next batch. I WILL HANG this light CLOSER to the SEEDLINGS.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
get some paper clips and bend them into little stands like upside down L's use thise to prop em and get the light closer, like within an inch or two, if heat allows, in a couple days add a ossiclating fan to the room

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Definitely the lights. Plants don't know much but, they know where the good light is and will do whatever it takes to get there.

Sprouts bond with the first thing they see. Anything larger than the lamp they sprouted under will seem like a nova to your plants and could fry them. Place under new lamp at "noon" (so the first time under the big lamp is a half day) Hang lamp extra high, lowering a few inches every day till plants acclimate.

Consider transplanting low in the pot. Plant will stall a week or two as it sprouts new roots at the surface in search of air. When it happens in my rockwool (an excellent and forgiving medium for newcomers) I just roll the stem around the cube before transplant.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
You can use a fan for that but, it's not required and excess airflow directly on the plant can stress it out.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
until they get their legs under them if you use a fan just have it so they are shaking them a bit with air movemnt, not anywhere close to directly on them

mdk ktm

why do you have 2 in 1 jiffy puck? thats not going to end good. If they were just bagseeds i would just start over probably. You would only lose a few days of progress, And next time get the light closer. I wish i would have found IC mag when i first started, you are very lucky.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Would a fan on low ocillation and timer be preferred?

You could do that. Or, not bother. I've gone 16-17 years without one. I just rough up the plants by hand. Gently brush your finger across the leaves and watch the stalk spring back and forth, gently shake the stalk between the "V" of your fingers, basically mimicking an animal walking by... life in the woods and all that.

I'd say an interior fan is of more use in later stages where too dense vegetation or flowers could lead to condensation and mold.

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im late here but yes you should listen to freezer boy and dr dog
lights are far away, is that a twin im seeing or you sprouted 2 beans in one puck?

a fan blowing not directly at them will help stems, try to have a some kind of air movement in the room

good luck with the grow :D

h2osho

2 seeds in a puck is correct, they both took. I separated them and will update with a nice pic of the new cute & well behaved children.

Started a new clan in rockwool the other day under my T5.

Latest posts

Latest posts