What's new

Newb: Switched from coco coir to rockwool ebb & flow

Copperfield

Hey hoisanfeller, nice grow brow.... Looks like u take pride in your work..... I have a bunch of kids so money's always tight around my way.... Anyways, I got some pics of my ghetto grow I set up today. I'm on a 2 inch slant. I'm using maxi bloom for my nutes..... I got serious weight w this stuff last time I used it w the half inch Rockwell cubes. I'm also using cocoa coir 50/50 w perlite to see which does better. I'm doing purple erkle, grapefruit haze, purple butters, headband, blockhead bx and banana dawg and bubba kush pre 98 all off the same res....... Lol. Look out fellas!! I'm either gonna crash n burn or its gonna b good times after its all said n done...... Not all my clones are rooted so some of the 1 gals are empty. I'm using a drip n feeding twice a day at the moment.... After the rest have rooted, Ima plant n then bump the feedings up to 8/9 times a day.......
Hope u guys like the pics!! I'll keep u posted as the project unfolds...
Respect
Copperfield

Copperfield

Personally, I always keep my ph between 6/6.5.... Certain nutrients can only b absorbed by the plant at certain ph levels.... When using waterworks(hydro). It's always imperative to check ph and ppms as well. When switching into bloom, I usually flush w clean water for a week then smack em dwn w the kiss method..... I dnt always get the best results out of my grows...... But I grow an assortment of different strains n a small space......

Looks like those big mommas were doing fine on the tray. When you watered did the tops get wet? Wonder if it wicks all the way to top.

BadRabbit

Looks like those big mommas were doing fine on the tray. When you watered did the tops get wet? Wonder if it wicks all the way to top.

RW does wick up water, unlike most other media. But, you'll get some salts build up at the top of black unless you rinse them down from the top once in a while. Not ideal, but it'll work. Better if you can flood to the top of the block everytime.

Dude,

This is exactly the type of thread I was looking for. Are you running just the 1 tent or will you end up with a separate veg and flower space?

Kiva

From the Grodan literature available on their website here: http://grodan101.com/knowledge-center/grodan-literature-and-brochures

How Much Water Does HUGO Need?
The stone wool volume of Hugo is 3.2 L. /108.2 oz. per block.
• If the plant is growing under 1000 watt light (or direct sun), plan to
water 0.48 L (16.23 oz.) each time you water (15% of block volume).
• If the plant is growing under 400 watt or lower light, plan to water
2.8 L. (70.3 oz.) each time (65% of block volume).
To access Grodan recommendations on how much to water other specific
Grodan products in various systems, visit grodan101.com.
_________________end

Its super easy to overwater rockwool, which is why it's key to know how much water the cube actually holds. Using the info above, you should be able to keep just the right amount of water in the cubes.

BadRabbit

From the Grodan literature available on their website here: http://grodan101.com/knowledge-center/grodan-literature-and-brochures

How Much Water Does HUGO Need?
The stone wool volume of Hugo is 3.2 L. /108.2 oz. per block.
• If the plant is growing under 1000 watt light (or direct sun), plan to
water 0.48 L (16.23 oz.) each time you water (15% of block volume).
• If the plant is growing under 400 watt or lower light, plan to water
2.8 L. (70.3 oz.) each time (65% of block volume).
To access Grodan recommendations on how much to water other specific
Grodan products in various systems, visit grodan101.com.
_________________end

Its super easy to overwater rockwool, which is why it's key to know how much water the cube actually holds. Using the info above, you should be able to keep just the right amount of water in the cubes.

from that brochure ... which complicates the shit out of the simplest things in the world (and is mainly talking about top watering systems), it notes:

"Of course, in an ebb and flood system the only choice is to use 100% water volume each time the system is flooded"

How do you think a flood and drain table would ever work if RW was prone to overwatering? For heavens sake, it floods up to the top and and puts as much as that bock/pot can possible aborb into it in a matter of a few minutes. And most ebb/flow growers will flood at least 2 and often 3 to 4 timjes per day ... if RW was prone to overwatering, these systems would never work well. But guess what, they perform beautifully because the stuff just doesn't hold too much water by the very nature of it's design ... that's why is used by indoor commercial growers as the media of choice.

SMH. It's just "dirt thinking" that confuses everyone on it.