What's new

Marick23

Hey folks just recently found these forums and the amount of information is incredible. I appreciate the level of professionalism that seems to be inherent here, at least what I've read has been.

Well this is my very first grow. I have read a couple of grow books from the 70's. As well as doing substantial research here. I will be using a spare upstairs bathroom with stand up shower. There is 1 small bathroom window facing north. I will attempt to get the pictures up.

What I am looking for is a mentor or 4 that will take me step by step from setup to proper curing and storage. I plan to grow from here to a more dedicated location. I need to get the basics covered first. I don't want to do anything half assed.

So first things first I am waiting on funds (income tax) I would like my budget to be between a grand - 1.5k... In the meantime to get my room set up. Is there anything I need to it? Sterilization?

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
well do you have any plans at all?
lighting?
medium?
method?

Marick23

Undecided...

Undecided...

I haven't gotten anything yet. I didn't want to a waste any of my budget on materials I won't be using...

As for medium all that... Is up in the air. This is my first grow. I am starting from scratch. No seeds clones nada... once again not wanting to waste budget on seeds I might not grow.

I am completely open to any type of indoor grow. This is just the preliminary round... Disinfection and set up of the area. I want to make sure the room is set up and running before even germinating a seed or shopping for clones... (not that I would know where to shop)

Thanks for the reply and please folks I am not thin skinned in the slightest.. If i'm not explaining right or my language is off.. please flame, yell, etc... I can only learn from it :)

Marick23

Alright after spending some time in the chat room I am leaning towards 600 HPS digi... Soil... Would like to use coco in the future but for now soil seems to be the medium. will also most likely be using can club cuttings. Hope that gives ya'll a better idea.

Marick23

Alright

Alright

Ok I did a ton more research and though I still have a long way to go I am more comfortable with what I want to do. The question is what is the most efficient way to set up my grow...

I have a 10x7x8 spare bathroom I plan to grow out of.. I lose about 2' from the sink toilet and shower located on the Noth end of the bathroom. On the south wall I have a door leading to a nice little closet area I plan to use for curing. The closet door is placed in the middle of the wall. I was thinking of removing the door and putting up a mylar barrier? Not sure.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=425

I will be setting up a hydro system using 600w digi balast HPS for Flowering.
I am not sure what light I want to use for the veg state yet.. leaning toward cfl's?
I will be using rock wool for veg and then transplant into clay or coco or both when I start the 12-12.

I will be micro managing as much of this grow as possible. I may increase my budget to 2k if I need to.

What I am looking for right at this moment is some advice, thoughts on the best way to set up the room I have.

E

eclurker

Might I suggest getting yourself an updated in depth grow book. I personally like the grow bible, but there are many good ones to choose from. I know all the info you need and could ever want is right here, but I believe it is an asset to anyone who is serious about growing. Anyway good luck!

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Might I suggest getting yourself an updated in depth grow book. I personally like the grow bible, but there are many good ones to choose from. I know all the info you need and could ever want is right here, but I believe it is an asset to anyone who is serious about growing. Anyway good luck!

Grow bible is good

Although I recommend watching some videos
Jorge has a great one
Seemore Buds has a good series
Remo over at urban grower is the man.

Youtube is full of them, or try downloading some torrents, books are great, but seeing someone do it for you is even better

Marick23

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks guys.. I have jorge cervantes indoor outdoor bible? I've watched and read anything I come across... The problem here is focused information. The video section here has a really good set of videos. Think they were just put in yesterday. Under site menu videos. I've seen that one but I like it alot. Because your absolutely right Doc. I have to see it as well as read it. If anyone wants throw some links to good instructional journals that would be great.

My biggest hitches now are. How to best set up the room for excellent yield, ease of control, and a checklist of everything I am gonna need; From hydroponic systems to lights to ventilation, humidityand heat.

Thanks for the help guys... It is very much appreciated.

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Hey Marick,

My very first grow, about 10 years ago, was in a spare bathroom about the same dimensions as yours.
I kept it very simple first couple of times round. I screwed a couple of hooks to the main ceiling beam above the toilet, and attached a 600W HPS on chains to it. Easy to raise and lower to keep the light at the right height. Absolutely everything in the room was Matt white anyway, so I didn't bother with mylar. I just started with about 24 16oz polystyrene cups filled with vermiculite in a cat litter tray on the toilet seat (from seed). The light's radius allowed me to max out at about 12 2-gallon pots after transplant and sexing.
Internal ventilation was a 12 inch oscillating fan, and the apartment's AC on high gave OK airflow out of the room. I still had a boatload of space in the room I never used (like the bathtub), but I wanted a setup I could disassemble and clean up in 5 minutes flat in case of emergency. In any case, even without perpetual, and just using soil and seeds, I could pull circa 12oz every 3 months, which was enough for my own use with some left over for friends, which was all I was looking for. Nutes were just standard stuff from the local garden centre. Total cost was less than $200 to get setup (light, fan, seeds, pots, nutes, soil, thermometer), and after that it's just the electric bill. I didn't worry about checking ph or EC - if the plants looked healthy, I didn't mess with anything.

My biggest issue was temp control. I often got into the low 90s lights on in the summer - I really needed better exhausting, but it was a rented place, so I couldn't do any serious modifications. Plants didn't seem to suffer, but I'm sure I would have got better growth with lower temps.

A primitive setup by any means, but as a newbie grower, it let me get my hands green, and get a feel for the whole process. I would definitely advise a KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) approach for the first run. There's a lot to learn, and hydro can be very unforgiving.

Whatever way you choose, good luck!

Marick23

Thanks Blimey

Thanks Blimey

Thank you Blimey for sharing your experience... I understand completely that the best way to learn is to get my hands dirty. But I honestly believe with the correct preparation and proper instruction. I will be able to dramatically reduce the learning curve on time, expense, and emotional investment.

I also believe that with good equipment that is set up the right way. (Per instruction) I will be able to set up a controlled classroom so to speak. That way when things do go wrong.. A) it will be easier to get help in diagnosing those problems. B) it will be easier to isolate the issue to correct in the future.

I am hoping to find a few people:

That know what they are doing.
Believe that I am worth the energy :dueling:
Want to pass their knowledge on.
That have made all the rookie mistakes.
Won't pull punches.:whip:
and that won't mind answering my incessant questioning :redface:

I have always had a passion for growing. Just never any ambition. Now that my ambition is starting to match my Passion. This is only the begining.

Marick23

Here goes

Here goes

Should start putting my first grow together in the next week. I am just going to start with a 4'x4' ebb n flow. I plan to use a 250w mh 600w lumatek hps. As well as throwing in a few florescent uvb tubes. I plan to root clones then plug into 4" rockwool squares. I will then be placing the plants in hydroten. I plan doing a light scrog. As the time for my grow to start nears, I am getting a bit ansy. Before I make my final decisions though I was wondering what you guys think of the lighting? and can you guys also give me some feedback on where to place the lights how close together etc...

Marick23

Seeds

Seeds

Was also wanting to order some seeds for the next grow. I plan to get this grow from shop clones. I would like to order some seeds now so that I can get that process started so I can turn this thing perpetual.

I want 4 strains. High yield. excellent potency. gourmet taste. energizing.
Until I learn a bit more about the seperate strains needs and how to meet them I would like them to be similar feeding, light, and veg flowering schedules. I don't know if these expectations are realistic let me know what you think.

Marick23

Nutes

Nutes

The amount of information and advertisement for nutes is grotesque. It wouldn't be soo bad if as a student you could tell the difference between information and advertisement. The local hydro store recomended that I not use Fox farm for a hydro set up as it gets everything gunked up??

I was planning on FF because the guys that seem to know what they are doing 90% of them use FF nutes. Not sure if the hydro guy is on the level or just trying to move a product. Though he did have FF. While talking and pricing with him. There were several times he said I can order that for you but you can get the same thing at lowes for alot cheaper??

I can't remember the brand I want to say BC. $300.00 for the full life course. Once again thanks in advance.

Marick23

Hello?

Hello?

Think I am going to spend the money on AN they have a complete system for 500. Anyone using this? Would I need to get anything else besides this? I am also looking at a used digi balast. Does the balasts efficiency degrade with use and if so how often do they need to be replaced?

32 Joints

Think I am going to spend the money on AN they have a complete system for 500. Anyone using this?

AN does have some pretty good nutes although their intense marketing turns me off. The descriptions of all their products make all these vague claims about everything being bigger and better but nothing substantial.

My advice would be to keep it simple. I got complicated with my nutes on my first couple of grows but later on I found simpler was better. I'm still no expert by any means but now I just use one simple nute for Veg (Fish Emulsion 5-1-1 available anywhere) with a bit of added Cal-Mag since I use RO water and for flower I use Pure Blend Pro, Big Bud, Molasses and Cal-Mag.

Start simple and add more things later on as you gain experience. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Not to be a dick, but why is this in the diaries section? You're asking incredibly basic questions and there's nothing yet to journal.

Also, you're basically asking to have your hand held. You said you've done a ton of reading, but apparently none of it would sink in. Not to toot my own horn, but I've never posted a "help me" thread. I don't think it's necessary because virtually everything you need to know is already up here on the board.

Please, please, please keep reading. Happy growing, when you get there.

:2cents:

Marick23

Not to be a dick, but why is this in the diaries section? You're asking incredibly basic questions and there's nothing yet to journal.

Also, you're basically asking to have your hand held. You said you've done a ton of reading, but apparently none of it would sink in. Not to toot my own horn, but I've never posted a "help me" thread. I don't think it's necessary because virtually everything you need to know is already up here on the board.

Please, please, please keep reading. Happy growing, when you get there.

:2cents:

Well I apologize if my posts offend you. I was under the impression that these boards were for the new grower as well as the experienced. I have done a ton of reading. In fact so much reading has sunk in that I am not completely comfortable with the material yet. As for every post explaining the way a thing should work theres 10 other contadictory or alterations. A bit of information overload. If my posts offend you then don't read them. This is posted in the journal section because this is my grow. Newb questions and all. hence the name of the diary. Please feel free to troll somewhere else.

Latest posts

Latest posts