What's new

New Zealand Crown Seizes Switched On Gardener (SOG) Chain and Puts it up For Sale

glow

Hasn't hit the news yet but we are breaking the story to press now.

2 weeks ago after a massive police operation (Operation Lime) that targeted hydroponic stores in New Zealand (NZ) and where the company owner and manager were imprisoned after a lengthy court case, the New Zealand Crown seized the assets of the Switched on Gardener (SOG) chain of hydroponic stores. These stores (14 in total) and 3 warehouses, a bottling plant worth an estimated 1.5 million and stock valued at over a million are now being put up for tender through Bayleys Auctioneers in New Zealand and Australia. This one is a very long story and you can read more about the histrionics here http://www.manicbotanix.com/medical-...ion-lime-.html

However, what various governments around the world allege is that hydroponic stores solely exist to cater to the illicit cannabis supply industry. This is very much the case in New Zealand where, pretty much, these exact words were used in court by police and the prosecution. It is, therefore, somewhat ironic that the NZ Crown is now behind the single largest sale of a hydroponic store chain in history.

To date there has been absolutely no media in New Zealand about this. We reason this is because the crown wishes to protect its assets and avoid media which raises the question of the ethics of the State firstly alleging hydroponic stores exist only because of illicit cannabis cultivation and then secondly, the same State becoming the owners and sellers of a chain of stores which according to their own words fuel the illicit cannabis supply chain.

Asset forfeiture laws were sold to the public to target organized crime. The NZ authorities charged the SOG people/staff/management with participating in an organized criminal group and failed to get convictions on these charges.

Plus the SOG chain is under the name of a person who was never charged with a crime so they are actually seizing the assets of a person who has never been convicted with a criminal offense.

Breaking news folks and I'll post links to media as the story goes public.

If anyone is interested in purchasing hydroponic stores in a police state (NZ the land of the imprisoned and the home of the afraid) where they target and seize hydroponic stores contact the NZ Police...

Last edited:

bambi

Yes I know this story quite well also'

and knew a once local manager of two outlet stores in one region I almost went to work for part time, yet thinking it through at the time it would've put myself under the radar, I didn't like the fact I was offered clones either and new tips were always given out, a big no no to both those things, I didn't go back for the clone I wanted badly at the time as it just felt wrong, like that feeling ya get when something just aint right but cant pin it down specifically anyhow,

The moneys this shop or both shops made from selected commercial growers mainly was a hell of a lot of dosh, in the 3rd year of knowing the shop they opened another and one more to come before the major two earthquakes mind, so everyone was making hay while the sun shined I tell ya what, - even the Mount Eden convicts had jobs working for the s.o.g from the prison putting togeather ballast's and lamps amongst other things like shades also, god save the queen aye)

Actually I got ripped off by the Auckland s.o.g or one silly fat fuck named kyle couldn't do his online job if his own life depended on it, was only a matter of $115 yet that's a lot of money to me now days and many others I bet, - life goes on though and was happy to share this come rain or shine) - later then b.

glow

Yes I know this story quite well also'

and knew a once local manager of two outlet stores in one region I almost went to work for part time, yet thinking it through at the time it would've put myself under the radar, I didn't like the fact I was offered clones either and new tips were always given out, a big no no to both those things, I didn't go back for the clone I wanted badly at the time as it just felt wrong, like that feeling ya get when something just aint right but cant pin it down specifically anyhow,

The moneys this shop or both shops made from selected commercial growers mainly was a hell of a lot of dosh, in the 3rd year of knowing the shop they opened another and one more to come before the major two earthquakes mind, so everyone was making hay while the sun shined I tell ya what, - even the Mount Eden convicts had jobs working for the s.o.g from the prison putting togeather ballast's and lamps amongst other things like shades also, god save the queen aye)

Actually I got ripped off by the Auckland s.o.g or one silly fat fuck named kyle couldn't do his online job if his own life depended on it, was only a matter of $115 yet that's a lot of money to me now days and many others I bet, - life goes on though and was happy to share this come rain or shine) - later then b.

Sounds to me that you were smart in not taking a job with them. Definitely working in the hydro industry puts you on the radar (worked in the industry several years myself and had cops all over us for at least 6 months - 3 year Fed operation on myself until I left Australia). The owner of the store has now got out of the industry completely and sells water gardens and outdoor furniture.

The question isn't so much the actions of SOG but the actions of the State who are now selling hydroponic stores which they themselves claim only exist to service the illicit cannabis trade in NZ. Seems to me that the Government who seizes what they deem crime related assets are more than happy to profit from crime when it suits them. One other major problem exists in that do they then bust the new owners who they sold the chain to? Basically, it is hypocrisy at its finest. There is no doubt that SOG made some very bad moves and were far too overt in targeting cultivators. I went into a SOG store in Auckland in 2006 and was shocked that they were selling bongs and smart drugs - that is just plain dumb and their arrests resulted. Add to this paying staff minimum wage (you can't even live on minimum wage is horribly overpriced NZ) and what you ended up with were some staff freelancing as opportunists. Knowing one of the upper management though I can assure you that it was their policy to fire any staff who were caught engaging in selling clones or other.Further, it was vocally put to staff upon their employment that this was the policy and that under no circumstances were they to engage in illegal activity on work time (instant dismissal being the outcome for breaching this policy).

Tough dynamic really and Operation Lime that targeted NZ stores makes Operation Green Merchant (US DEA op on hydroponic retailers in 1989) look like a soft touch.

And yes - agree completely. If any store is talking shit about growing weed or offering clones stay away from it because I can assure you that they will at some point become the subject of a police operation. We ran an extremely clean store in Australia (no weed talk or you're out the door policy) and we still became the subject of a police operation (likely from being dogged out by our competition or some other pissed off industry member - this BTW is common in the industry which is highly dysfunctional and full of nut jobs and narcs).

glow

Which store did you used to work at one in perth I'm guessing as I have a book by you

It was called Hydroponic World - one of the first in Perth - originally located at the Subi markets and later on Scarborough Beach Rd. Matt, the owner has now totally got out of selling hydroponics equipment. Does a lot better selling water gardens and outdoor furniture without the headaches. Good guy - always was. A lot of the good ones have left the Australian industry in the past decade. A few good ones remain fer sure.

bambi

hi G' - good to hear others opinions in the NZ side of things for a change, I think its high time the medicinal side of some specific and non psychotic marijuana strains becomes aware of the benefit's it has to offer,

got to rid this country of a national govt first I think, there not open to any debate at all.